Thread: Issues w/ DCC Sound Locos -- Athearn Big Boy & Precision Craft Models E7

Thanks
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 605 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Issues w/ DCC Sound Locos -- Athearn Big Boy & Precision Craft Models E7

Ok - I still consider myself DC and will never convert all my locos to DCC but I do have a dual mode layout now so invested in a couple of DCC Sound locos since they were a good deal. Unfortunately, I am kinda clueless about DCC and my controller (MRC Prodigy Express) is basic at best.

So I picked up a Precision Craft Models E7 (it is the 1st run -- http://www.spookshow.net/loco/pcme7.html) w/ sound that was not running. Turned out the DCC control board was not seated in the main board so by re-seating it it is now running (very smooth and quiet -- quiet being the operative word in this trouble shooting post). I also reset it by setting CV8 to 8. However, sound does not function. I reseated all the plugs on the board and was wondering if anyone else had any ideas on what I can do to trouble shoot. I even tried setting the volume high w/ the CV settings and have tried to figure out the mute button but nothing seems to affect sound.

Next -- I got two Athearn Big Boy DCC w/ Sound units (http://www.spookshow.net/loco/athearn4884.html -- I am not sure what versions, no manual came with them) and sound functions on both (well the basic running / chuffing sound) but they do not run and sound effects do not seem to be working. I read that reseating the main connector from loco to tender is a 1st step if loco does not run -- can I do that without taking apart the tender? There are so many details on these that I am worried about breaking something off every time I touch it.

Thanks in advance everyone...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok -- no actual progress but some updates...

I did get the shell off one of the Athearn Big Boys (both tender and loco) and the motor moved fine when DC power was directly applied to it.

I tried again to reset w/ CV8=8 on the programming track (and thought I read somewhere that you need to reset, remove from power, and reset again -- so tried that). Both forward and reverse lights flash on reset.

I also re-seated the cable that runs from the loco to tender (and put a bit of CRC 2-26 in there for good measure). Anyway, still just the chuffing when either the tender or loco are put on the track. No movement and no sound effects (also no movement under DC power either).

Also confirmed that I have the MRC version -- any idea what they red wire is that is on the decoder? I do not see that on Mark's decoder pic on Spookshow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180812_225539.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	97971
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 547 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you can kind of see the red wire in my picture (sort of tucked under one end). The old MRC decoders required a remote control to operate on DC layouts, so maybe that's the antenna for receiving signals from said remote?

-Mark

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Mac

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mark -- I do see it now... just looking for things that might be causing the issue -- so will not cut that red wire now

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

Mac