Thread: Tangent Scale Models enters N Scale

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tangent Scale Models enters N Scale

I am a bit surprised that this has not been posted here yet, but Tangent Scale Models announced the release of N scale versions of their Union Pacific quad hoppers at the National Train Show last Friday.

https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/n...t-quad-hopper/

I has been impossible to model Union Pacific sugar beet trains without these cars, so I am very excited to see them.

Carter
    N Scale Vehicle Association

"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale vehicles and equipment"
    http://nscalevehicles.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice looking , but be aware . This is from their page

• Our N Scale Bethlehem Steel Quad Hopper does not compromise to operate on toy train curves – we suggest a minimum radius of 18.75” or greater.

That might be a deal breaker for a lot of people

Steve

Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post

• Our N Scale Bethlehem Steel Quad Hopper does not compromise to operate on toy train curves – we suggest a minimum radius of 18.75” or greater.

Steve
    That quote from them seems arrogant and frankly is off putting. It's almost like they're saying if your curves aren't massive you're a complete amateur who isn't worthy of our product. Which honestly doesn't seem all that revolutionary by any standard. Sure some of the details like the rubber air hoses and cut bars are nice, but the coal load still looks like plastic crap that'd I'd yank out the second I got it. Nothing to get up on a high horse about.
    Did someone say whitcomb?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Intermodalman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Base on discussions in the thread about these cars on The Railwire, all they had to do is remove the air hose and a little bit of plastic from the coupler box, and they worked fine on the T-Trak layout at the NTS.

Carter
    N Scale Vehicle Association

"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale vehicles and equipment"
    http://nscalevehicles.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They certainly do seem arrogant . That could have been phrased way better . And for those that dont follow the forums , well thats just going to put people off

Steve

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve
    My layout has 282mm minimum radius. I don't know what that is in inches, but they can take that attitude and shove it. If Kato can make a 4-8-4 and BLI can make a 4-4-4-4 that operate on 248mm curves, Tangent can figure out how to make their coal car handle that radius too.

Part of why I left HO was due to the prevalence of this sort of attitude, that unfortunately seems to infect everything. Either you get low end, with a headlight, or high end with a headlight, ditch lights, marker lights, sound, strobes, and a depleting coal load. There's no middle ground... I hope this isn't the start of a new trend towards the hyper-realism as seen in HO, where the price doesn't matter and if you look at it the wrong way it falls apart.
    Starting over in N

Thanks
    Thanked 3,571 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They made the active decision to keep the ride height and detailing accurate. A friend of mine at the NMRA show in KC tested the car on the TTrak layout. It ran, but the wheels rubbed the details. If you remove the air hose, it should run without rubbing.

I’ll take the diverging opinion and say I’m glad Tangent went the route they did. I’m glad they didn’t compromise for the 9” radius corners. My smallest corner is 22”, I’d like to get them all to 36” in the next upgrade of the layout. This is another company making a step forward in N Scale. If you want to run it on tight corners, you can, but you have to make the decision that you are willing to sacrifice details. I’m guessing is you have 9-3/4” corners, that’s not a tough decision to make.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpwisc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posted on TRW:

Hello Everyone. First off, I wanted to say thanks for all of the great comments on our new Bethlehem Quad Hopper. The last few days at the National Train Show have been incredibly busy. We really enjoy getting to talk to everyone on the show floor, including meeting many of you from this forum.

Our minimum radius is not a typo. We calculated the 18.75" by running the car on curves until we did not "feel" any rubbing of the wheels against the air hose and draft gear key details -- some of the same details that make the car a Tangent quality product that sits at the right height (yet work with the larger than scale coupler box required for MT-compatible couplers).

Can you run the car on smaller radius curves? Yes, with adjustment of the model.

Examples:
    1. If you remove the 2 rubber air hoses from the model (Needle nose pliers pull them right off from their 2-pin mounts), then the car will FREELY roll on a 15" radius curve.

2. If you further "modify" the car by taking a #11 X-acto blade and slicing off the "nub" face of the draft key detail molded onto the side of the draft gear box (about 20 seconds of work), then the car will FREELY roll on a 12.5" radius curve.

Further reduction in minimum radius is possible, but results in increasing degrees of "rubbing" and that is up to the pain threshold of the modeler.

We want our official documentation to reflect the out-of-the-box radius, hence the 18.75" on the website and announcement text.

A few other comments:
    1. The wheels do not rub against the bays.
    2. The wheels are .062" in width (just a hair narrower than what we see on an Atlas Trinity 5660 for example).

We appreciate the dialogue about our first N scale product. Our Bethlehem Quad Hoppers will ship beginning September 17. We look forward to your consideration and prospective business with Tangent Scale Models!

Best wishes,

David Lehlbach
    Tangent Scale Models

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 539 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intermodalman View Post
    It's almost like they're saying if your curves aren't massive you're a complete amateur who isn't worthy of our product.
    It's a feature, not a defect.
    Daniel Dawson

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 899 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our N Scale Bethlehem Steel Quad Hopper does not compromise to operate on toy train curves – we suggest a minimum radius of 18.75” or greater
    Good call by Tangent to put this information out ahead of the release.

If the bit about "toy train curves" offends anyone, I suggest you're reading way too much into the statement.
    Paul Schmidt

Southern Railway's Slate Fork Branch

Proud member of the Milwaukee Road Historical Association and the Southern Railway Historical Association

Check out Appalachian Railroad Modeling!

Did l mention that I still like the SP&S?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't say that I take offense, any more than I would want someone to take offense if I say I am not a rivet counter. But I have learned not to belabor the latter because while I can mean the statement as simply a shorthand way of expressing my level of detail, it carries a connotation that could give offense, just as their statement carries a connotation of arrogant elitism. They could have provided the exact same information in a more market-friendly way such as "Our N Scale Bethlehem Steel Quad Hopper is designed with high degree of fidelity that requires more prototypical curves and may not operate without modification on tighter curves – we suggest a minimum radius of 18.75” or greater" or something along those lines. To specifically choose the phrase "toy train curves" very clearly implies an arrogant, elitist, judgmental frame of reference. I am not offended because my attitude has always been to consider first the attitude of the communicator and simply dismiss those opinions or attitudes that I consider to lack value to me. No need to take offense when the opinion is irrelevant and without value to me.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Northern New England Scenic Model Railroad - N Scale early fall in NH in the mid to late 1950s.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edfhinton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 547 Posts
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not offended - I totally embrace the fact that all of these things are just toys

-Mark

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 539 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spookshow View Post
    I'm not offended - I totally embrace the fact that all of these things are just toys

-Mark
    I'm pretty sure some of the packaging says just the opposite.
    Daniel Dawson

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile One View Post
    I'm pretty sure some of the packaging says just the opposite.
    Behold the power of marketing! Remember, "the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys." And now that the silliness is out of the way. It seems a simple fix if one needs these to run on tighter radius curves. While the UP cars are not needed by me, I do wonder what future schemes Tangent will produce with these. I would be tempted to purchase a few to paint up but their undecs are painted black. The cars I would use these to model would have one Yellow end. I'm not a fan of trying to paint Yellow over Black. So I'll wait and see what's next. But still it's nice to see the variety of N scale mfg and equipment increase.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,571 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    I would be tempted to purchase a few to paint up but their undecs are painted black. The cars I would use these to model would have one Yellow end. I'm not a fan of trying to paint Yellow over Black.
    If you are going to paint them anyways, hit them with a shot of Tamiya Fine Grey Primer first. Then your yellow will stick way easier.
    Karl

CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline