Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are you buying this month (September 2018)?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 738 Posts
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could try Model Master Acrylics, they have a pretty good range of shades. Failing that, rattle can CAT Yellow if your game.
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DrifterNL View Post
    Where did you order the extruded aluminium from?
    From a place called Motedis: https://www.motedis.com/shop/ - over here in Germany.

Didn't know them before, but my usual supplier which I know from work (SMT Montagetechnik) has increased prices by 20% within the last year - apparently the aluminum price on the EU market has risen by that much, so I went googling for ITEM compatible profile or something similar.

Heiko

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DrifterNL View Post
    Where did you order the extruded aluminium from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
    From a place called Motedis: https://www.motedis.com/shop/ - over here in Germany.

Didn't know them before, but my usual supplier which I know from work (SMT Montagetechnik) has increased prices by 20% within the last year - apparently the aluminum price on the EU market has risen by that much, so I went googling for ITEM compatible profile or something similar.

Heiko
    There are a few US suppliers. We use similar bars in our First Robotics competition (I mentor my local high school team).

http://www.andymark.com/product-p/am-2915.htm

http://www.revrobotics.com/search.ph...ection=product

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 439 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These came on Monday... I just got an Erie set yesterday, didn't think it would be here so soon. I like these Kato hoppers, wonder how many sets they did exactly.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SimRacin14 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Tdjr; 13th Sep 2018 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added photos

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tdjr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better late than never but I have just ordered a set of Track Alignment Gauges in 16"/17"/18" radii, 3 of each. Hopefully they will help when the times come to permanently attach my track work.

Cheers Tony

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SimRacin14 View Post
    These came on Monday... I just got an Erie set yesterday, didn't think it would be here so soon. I like these Kato hoppers, wonder how many sets they did exactly.
    I have Milwaukee Road and Seaboard Air Line cars from Kato.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picked up an order from MB Klein from customs yesterday - mostly stuff for experimenting, but also a lot of couplers to body mount my tank car fleet and my covered hopper fleet:

Spend the day at home to do some grinding, sanding, glueing... and presto, received some unexpected parcels (tracking didn't tell me they were coming today)...

My Shapeways order with a lot of coupler boxes, a forklift, some gas station details and an LPG trailer:

I like the forklift, not so sure about the LPG trailer.

Also unexpected I found these in my mailbox today (tracking had lost track of them, latest news was Sep 07 in Hong Kong...) - PCBs and WiFi chips for my wireless withrottle compatible throttle at https://newheiko.github.io/wiFred/ and https://github.com/newHeiko/wiFred/

Feels like Christmas, but also gives me lots of work to do

Heiko

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S ARR T 8 View Post
    Mine equipment looks great canít wait to see them all painted up.
    I think I butchered it up nicely.

Shapeway's recommended Krylon ColorMaster primer. The spray can kept blowing the barrels away. I like this primer - it goes on thin and doesn't grunge up the details. In fact, a lot of details became apparent once I painted it. I can't get over how detailed the model is. My guess is the STL was originally created for HO scale or larger.
    IMG_7047.jpg

I painted with "Mustard Yellow" craft paint, then Polly S Grimy Black (Grimy black has been my go-to black), the craft paint grey.
    IMG_7049.jpg

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NtheBasement For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great can’t wait to get mine. Make sure to post some pics of the other ones all painted up. Nice work

Thanks
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NtheBasement View Post
    The spray can kept blowing the barrels away.
    I have seen people use double-sided light masking tape or you could just double up some painters tape ie. a loop configuration.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 439 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stopped at a hobby shop in southern Illinois on the way home...and picked up a few things. The store was mostly HO, but had a nice N scale offering too.

Tried to pick up things I felt were a little harder to find, like the warbonnet and the cabooses. The Conrail units I've liked...and had the chance to get all five.

21. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SimRacin14 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice pick ups, especially the Conrail engines.
    Cheers Tony

23. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A "few" things??? You got SIX Kato locomotives there!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I missed out on a model train show Saturday...
    My car has front end issues that leave me not liking to drive hours away from home at higher than normal highway speeds
    Also, I had sleep issues... Actually sleeping was just fine... Hours and hours... Waking, on the other hand...)

0916181531.jpg

What I did get to do was pick up an airbrush. I haven't had an airbrush for 25 years, and the one I had back then was some cheap plastic thing. I think it was blue. I picked up an Iwata HP-BCS "Eclipse". I have access to a compressor, but I'm probably gonna avoid using it... as I enjoy keeping my hearing... Gonna acquire a quiet air pump. Don't have that yet. Photo features most of my locomotives (both recent and old purchases), and some rebuild parts for one of the two Bachmann locos, cause I figured, why not spruce up the pic!

Actually, what I'm showing off, besides the Airbrush, are the two stripped shells on the right side. I've already mentioned those in the past, but now the paint is stripped off of them, so I suppose they're kinda new again... (that's a stretch ) Good thing I had plenty alcohol while I waited for paint to un-dry... Also, the Isopropyl helped for the paint stripping! The Bachmann GP40 is the more detailed model (though I use that term incredibly loosely, ). The other was that cheap thing I previously had mentioned getting for 99 cents. It's hollow, and I hope to install a camera into it. All that stuff has been mentioned before, but now with the airbrush and paints (d'oh! I could have added the paints to the picture... oh well), I can make those two GP40s actually look the way I want them too. The Bachmann used to be Santa Fe, and the Chinese cheapo special was Southern Pacific (it was so cheap, they didn't even use grey paint... they just had white and red decals on grey plastic)... I only got it to see just how bad it was, and cause it was hollow... Need a place for those camera electronics. Also, if I can snag a set of better handrails, I'll also snip off those square bar STEEL BEAMS off that model and attach some actual handrails!

Given that the camera loco won't be able to roll under it's own power, It'll need to be paired to another one... I might consider a permanent linkage between these two, with shared electrical pickup, and possibly a DCC+Sound board hidden in the camera loco. There's still plenty room to sandwich a DCC board next to the camera board. That'd be a reasonable use for those two GP40s. As for HOW I'd paint them... Well, I think I have the perfect idea...

CRW2523ii-4.jpgCRW2509ii.jpg3878621472_d18d7a9895_o.jpg
    The Spirit of '86 was DM&E's 20th anniversary locomotive, and it was paired with another loco with similar anniversary markings (though no "name" below it's number) to pull the DME/ICE Employee & Family Business Cars. This, I think, would make for a great camera car setup. The locomotive pair is already ideal for a powered loco + a camera loco, and it's specialty markings and it's frequency at having been used specifically to pull this incredibly short passenger train make it both eye catching, as well as short enough to reach nearly any part of a layout. If I wanted, I could probably have a second camera facing backwards, mounted in the observation deck of "The Pioneer".

I've got two problems though... First, I've never seen decals for ANY of the anniversary locomotives (There's a LOT of missing images and details in DM&E decals, and that goes for three different decal manufacturers I've found that offer DM&E decals! Second, is the apps that work with the cameras over WiFi only stream to phones (Android and iOS). There is a Micro SD card that records the video to a file, and yes, you can remove the SD card and mount it into a PC or Mac... But I don't fancy taking apart my locomotives every time I want to actually post a video, say to YouTube, rather than just stream it live to my phone. I'm trying to find compatible software for PC, Linux, or Mac that can receive the live video stream over WiFi, and either stream it or record it to a file. It's very frustrating for the technology to be here, but the software to not be capable... I've complained to the Chinese seller that the product needs those additional features, especially in this day and age of live video feeds, etc.

My hope was to someday have a live video feed of the layout... Well, hopefully by the time I build the layout, the software will actually be capable!

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to richfiles For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll like the Eclipse Airbrush. I have one and it does a great job and fairly easy to clean as well. For what it's worth, I clean mine using Testors Thinner and Cleaner after each use by just spraying it through the gun. Once every 1/2 a dozen or so uses I pull the needle out and remove the nozzle etc and give that a clean with Acetone. I also put a little lubricant on the needle as well.

You picked up some very good other items as well, looks like a good purchase all round
    Cheers Tony

29. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Eclipse is a dream to use. I had an old Testor airbrush that was a nightmare to clean. The Iwata’s are nice instruments. Enjoy.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the gravity fed version and couldn't be happier with my Iwata Eclipse! Stopped by my local hobby shop this weekend and brought home a few rail cars. Really excited to score the Micro-Trains weather log car set!

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CoreyS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,062 Times in 812 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought fair few bits in both HO and O scales, but my best scores this month are these reference books:

In HO I got:
    Atlas Yellowbox Alco C424 with DCC fitted for £35
    Atlas Conrail Coil Car for £5
    Athearn Blue Box modern high side gondola for £3

In O scale I got:
    MTH 2 rail Beer Can tank car
    Atlas cylindrical ACF 3 bay covered hopper
    Williams centre cupola caboose kit
    Three partially complete Quality Craft 86' TTX flat car kits
    One Quality craft open sided 86' autorack kit
    Lots and lots of detail parts
    A truss bridge from an unknown manufacturer - I was going to scratchbuild one for the next part of PB, but now I don't have to!

Very happy with my scores this month.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danielb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen that first industry guidebook sell for upwards of $50 in the past; it's one of the few model railroad books that I won't loan out.