Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Update (14th Sep 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Weekend Update (14th Sep 2018)

Please update us on the progress you have made on your MRR projects this week (commencing: 14th Sep 2018).

This weekly thread is to post little snippets about your layout/project progress.
    This is not be a substitute for your layout build thread, but just a mini update on what you got done for the week.

You can link from your layout build thread to your posts in this thread as a part of a more extensive post there, or visa-versa (post to your build thread and link to that post when contributing to this thread.

Click on a post's #number (right-hand end of the post header) to get the URL to that particular post in your browsers address bar.
    Copy and paste this as needed.

So, fellow nSn'ers, what have you been up to this week?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 589 Posts
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New locomotives have been raining from the sky this week (BLI SD40-2, Bachmann SD9, Atlas GP39-2) and all my spare time has gone to checking those out. And now here comes hockey season, so my layout probably isn't going to be getting much attention for quite a while

-Mark

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spookshow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've started building my first T-Trak module which will make up my layout. Only the wood work so far but its my first step in having any layout so I'm excited and hope it works out okay! I don't claim any woodworking skills thats for sure, but I wanted to try building my own anyway.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsolo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've Painted my dumb mountain, so now it no longer looks like a mound of Himalayan pink salt. still needs work for sure, but for my first go at mountain building I'll take it!
    pics for proof!
    Mt_pretty.jpg

I've also worked on my other...project. Its quite literally half done. A little naval rail power to help defend my right of way!
    Railship_MKI.jpg
    Check out my Blog! I review trains and attempt to build a layout!
    - The New Port Central -
    https://newportncale.blogspot.com/

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SolDust For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 2,553 Posts
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spookshow View Post
    New locomotives have been raining from the sky this week (BLI SD40-2, Bachmann SD9, Atlas GP39-2) and all my spare time has gone to checking those out. And now here comes hockey season, so my layout probably isn't going to be getting much attention for quite a while

-Mark
    time to install a wall mount flat screen over the layout so you can enjoy both at the same time :evil:

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 589 Posts
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zosimas View Post
    time to install a wall mount flat screen over the layout so you can enjoy both at the same time
    Not a bad idea, but I seem to only be able to handle one obsession at a time

-Mark

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I was REALLY tired!

I was debating whether I should drive the two hours to go to the "Twin City Model Railroad Museum Hobby Show and Sale" at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds...

I had a rough work week... Wednesday ended up being an 18 hour work day, and I know my car needs some front end work... I'm considering skipping it and checking it out when they do their spring show next year. Decisions... Falling asleep before even sending this message in the first place, and not waking up till the show is already a couple hours in... Ya, that decided it for me!

As for other projects... I stripped the paint off two GP40s. One's an old Bachman GP40 and the other is what I can only describe as a "display only" GP40.

The Bachmann is a restoration/upgrade project. I want to mill out the chassis to make room for the flywheels of an upgraded 5 pole motor I bought to replace the old 3 pole motor. I also bought new trucks for it, since the old ones had cracked gears. If the restoration goes well, I'll do the same upgrades to my old Bachmann Chessie System F9. That was my first N scale loco. Eventually, I'd like an ABA arrangement with DCC w/sound tucked away inside one of the units, and shared 24 wheel electrical pickup across all the wheels. If I were to build it, that puppy would never drop out!

The "display" GP40 is mostly hollow, which is fine by me. This wasn't a proper dummy loco. It was really for display only. It had cast dummy couplers, and the absolute cheapest all plastic trucks. It was one of those awful Southern Pacific things that haunts ebay. I got it, plus a flatcar with trailer, a tanker, and a hopper, for 99 cents... Honestly, just to see how bad it was, and to possibly tinker. I want to install electrical pickup trucks, proper couplers, and a camera into it. I've always wanted a camera car, and the tech has definitely reached a small enough size where it's possible to install an HD camera with Wifi entirely inside an N scale locomotive.

Anyway, regarding either of them... I haven't decided how I'll re-paint them yet. Rock Island or Dakota, Minnesota, & Eastern are my options. I got the paints... I still need to buy an airbrush. Maybe I'll compromise tomorrow. All those hours meant my paycheck topped a grand, so I have a little spending cash. Maybe I'll just drive a town over and buy an airbrush and some lithium grease (my old can didn't seal correctly... It depressurized and sputtered onto one of my Rock Island open hoppers... Screwed up the decals a little, but I'll just hide that mishap with extreme weathering.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to richfiles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 495 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I went to the Danish Railway Museum for the official presentation of the newly built replica of Denmark's first locomotive - the ODIN from 1846.

Having been a volunteer at the museum when the project started, it was fun to see it completed. I met and congratulated my old mentor who has been the project and workshop lead. He was of course driving the locomotive and we had a nice chat. He even suggested I could have a brush-up of my safety certificate and come and run the locomotive within the museum area.
    I didn't say yes - but I also didn't say no ...

Here's a screenshot from one of my video clips. YouTube video to follow as soon as I get it edited.

nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

14. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wired up another 0603 LED - now I have red, yellow and green for a fellow modeler to test in a signal:

Closed the top of my module, laid track, installed a turnout (including "safety jumpers" to get rid of all the contacts where current just flows through touching parts, I also soldered a feeder to the bottom of the frog instead of using the loop Atlas provided) and sprayed everything German Gray (the color our modular standard calls for) until I ran out of paint - luckily I was almost done and it won't be too hard to do the rest with a paintbrush.

Also dropped feeders and installed a bus, but no pictures of that... and installed a turnout actuating mechanism:

To relax after all that, I safety-striped the last three cars of my fleet (well, the part of my fleet that's getting safety stripes anyway - I have a couple of cars from the 1970s and 1980s that are not going to get any):

That's a total of 78 cars with stripes, exactly half of which I applied the stripes myself over the years. Good to be done with it

So tomorrow I can go ahead with weathering, painting and assembling micro trains couplers. Good things to do on a Sunday without disturbing my neighbors And maybe, just maybe I'll also assemble one or three wireless throttles.

Heiko

16. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,985 Times in 616 Posts
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made more progress on my flower shop:

More here: http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthr...878#post543878

18. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 495 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteamPower4ever View Post
    Today I went to the Danish Railway Museum for the official presentation of the newly built replica of Denmark's first locomotive - the ODIN from 1846.

YouTube video to follow as soon as I get it edited.
    Here's the video from Saturday. Enjoy!

nScale.net: Elsewhere Yard
    nScale.net: AT&SF West Valley Division (abandoned)
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteamPower4ever

Failure is always an option.
    - Adam Savage

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SteamPower4ever For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 648 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent most of my available hobby time cleaning the train room -- I am drowning in projects -- anyway, got a bunch of flat beer boxes that gave me a bit of space to sort things out -- junk cars, cars that need trucks / wheels replaced, and cars w/ actual broken parts that need to be fixed / rebuilt / molded, cars that I need to sell or trade, etc...

I did get a chance to open up and lube a few Tomix cars I got last month. I think I posted about this -- basically bought the lot because I wanted the DD51 (wish there were more double ended switchers / trains in USA.

s-l500 (3).jpg s-l500 (2).jpg

Anyway, I have often been disappointed in the spring instead of worm gear drive shafts that are on a bunch of these Tomix locos and the EF-66 and EF-81 have drive mechanisms like this. They run and all (slow speed is fine, etc...) but are noisy -- running springs through plastic tubes is a recipe for noise.

I was really pleased that the DD51 has a much more advanced / interesting mechanism so figured I would post some pics... First, seems like a coreless motor or at least a very small modern motor and nicely sized flywheels. Instead of full-length brass strips for pickup this one uses small brass strips inside the truck pockets that accomplishes similar outcomes it seems. Bit of a puzzle to get apart -- need to remove top and light board and then need to remove trucks (pop them off by pressing sideways) to get the bottom deck / railings off. The split half frame comes apart once the plastic clips are taken off (no screws -- was the same on the other Tomix locos).

20180916_113136.jpg

20180916_113131.jpg

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 2,553 Posts
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zosimas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And more weathering, tank cars this time...

First a quick comparison shot: Veeeery light weathering in the back vs. none in front:

(Prototype: http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=51361 )

And then seven more cars with similar very light weathering. These seven are LPG cars, so not even any traces from spills, and they are very new, but maybe the next batch of ethanol cars will get some heavier weathering with rust streaks from the loading platforms.

Hope I can find some time next week on a business trip to reassemble them all and add body mounted MTL couplers.

Heiko

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,352 Times in 2,480 Posts
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@zosimas

Awesome photos!
    ~ Moose (Co-founder of the Mt. Tahoma & Pacific Railroad, located some where in the Pacific Northwest)

"Beware the Train of Thought that Carries no Freight..."

Click Here to See Moose's Layout Thread

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Received a lot of old locos so got them cleaned and lubed...

So first was a pair of Con-Cor E8 Locos that had some foam damage... Turns out that it just needed to be brushed off and had not damaged the paint much at all. I actually did not have any Con-Cor E8 locos in my collection (always bought Life Like's).

41382349_2304223066261615_7281963380733116416_n.jpg 41326728_2304223069594948_6582003730051235840_n.jpg

Next was an old Kato GP 38-2. I really like those old mechanisms with the crazy worm gear + flywheel combo. Runs great -- so heavy, smooth, good low speed creep, quiet, etc... great locos for their age! Anyway, still need to solder in a replacement headlight for the E8 but both running nicely.

20180917_201129.jpg

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,062 Times in 812 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Myself, Ford, and Piedmont Blues attended the Seaboard Southern 2018 exhibtion in Crawley, in the south of England. It meant a 4 hour drive the night before to set up the layout, a night out in town, beer and pizza, crashing in a hotel Friday night (actually Saturday morning :P) and getting up to work the show after about 3 hours sleep.

Then after a full 7 hours of exhibiting the layout, (and an awesome gammon and cheese toastie for lunch) it also meant packing up the layout into the car and another 4 and half hour drive home.

It was an AWESOME show, and I'd happily do it all again next year if they'd have us. Next month is the Winchester O Scale meet, which should be just as much fun, and just as far to travel!

Some photos of the layout taken during the show:

32. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to danielb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Holy lubrication Batman"

Bought an Atlas MP15 that looked like it was dropped in a tub of lube. Needs replacement railings but otherwise (after some vigorous cleaning with warm water and soap) seems to be in good shape. Seller disclosed all this and I got it cheap so not bad (although one of the grosser clean-ups I have had -- at least it was not cat hair, the is the grossest).

20180918_140539.jpg 20180918_140550.jpg 20180918_141100.jpg

After cleaning -- decided to disassemble the front truck so I could be sure it was clean...

20180918_162916.jpg

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, did he (or whoever) dropped it in the deep fryer (not on!)?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to kingmeow For This Useful Post:

Mac

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Continuing the weathering - feels like an assembly line:
    Take off trucks and wheelsets first, weather them separately:

(left: LPG tank cars, top: General service 25500gal tank cars, right: ethanol tank cars)

Put cars back into box, waiting for weathering:

(I actually weathered five of those after taking the picture)

Spray them with a layer of dullcoat the next morning, turn them around and spray the other side the next evening (but early enough the spray still ventilates out of my bed/train room...) These three are from yesterday's batch of five:

Reassemble - including body-mounted couplers - next week when I'll be on a business trip with five nights in a hotel...

JFTR, I also took a close-up of my LPG tank trailer:

Let's see how I can get that one cleaned, sanded smooth and painted. Some time in the future.

Heiko

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heiko For This Useful Post: