Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,663 Times in 3,424 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A Falcon for my N-Trak Module

Recently I visited the Air Force Museum with my parents and others, and in their gift shop I found something I did not expect to find: a model kit for an F-16 at 1:144 scale! I had to have it.

Because you see, my dad flew them, and even trained pilots to fly them, while I was growing up. Later in his career he got into designing some of the various weapons and information systems used in the cockpit, but for a time in the early 1980s my dad was flying the most awesome bird there was. He got to fly one over to Israel when they were purchasing them from us; I can't imagine such a long flight, complete with tanker in-air refueling, while strapped into the tiny cockpit.

An F-16 Falcon would be a bit too anachronistic for my 1971 era layout, but my N-Trak module is not so rigidly defined, and so I decided to fabricate a support arm that can clip onto the top of the skyboard to let it soar out over the module. The hard part was finding a clear plastic tube for the arm; there are supplies of acrylic rods at the hobby shop, but none are longer than about 10". I got lucky at a hardware store and found some cheap solar-powered path lights that are mounted on a long clear stalk. For about $4 I bought one and chopped it up, and it works great. I glue in a piece of sprue to the jet's exhaust, to serve as a tab that inserts into the end of the clear tube, so the jet can be removed.

I will be displaying this at the upcoming train show, so I may have more pictures later with the full layout for context.

One rather cool coincidence is that the kit came with a decal set that badges the jet with "WP"... so I had to go for it, and give the tail a splash of my WP&P red and black color scheme. Who's to say that my fictional railroad couldn't own a multirole fighter?

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,068 Posts
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Railroad police?
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kunsan jet with the Wolfpack.

I got 6 or 7 1:144 F-15s, gonna paint a few up as jets I had my name on the side of

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Railroad Traffic Control is enforced by F-16!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,663 Times in 3,424 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Some Photos From The Train Show

The Falcon made its debut at the Lakota West High School train show this past weekend, though it was slightly upstaged by the awesome urban modeling on Don's module next to mine. Here are a few shots with trains running on the N-Trak layout, and my F-16 doing recon.

My friend (college housemate) brought his 6-year-old twins who loved it all, even though their eye height was slightly too low in many cases.

I was also able to run the new (to me) set of Kato F-7s that I bought from @Mac a few weeks ago. I ran them light, since one A unit has a bum coupler that is stiff and refuses to engage. They were separating and then closing back together all the time, fairly well speed matched but just unconnected. Someone suggested a caboose hop, so I threw in all 3 cabeese that I had available. They ran well... I got a killer deal on these great engines!

Finally, here is my haul from the show. I found a lot of good deals on freight cars: $22 total for the four loose cars (which will all have their trucks replaced) and $30 for the 3-pack on twin hoppers. I couldn't resist the ALCo T-shirt, and the coasters were cheap from the same dealer. The book is filled with delicious inspiration for my layout, with lots of different kinds of mine tipples and conveyors and such.

Oh, and before I sign off, I guess I owe you a shot of the urban module by my friend Don that was upstaging my Falcon overflight. There are a few more buildings still to come, but he made a ton of progress on this downtown over the summer. Check it out:

Get yourself a Rail Pass for free travel on the WP&P: wpandp.com
    Could Star Wars: The Last Jedi have been a smarter movie with just one tweak? wpandp.com/how-an-interdictor-could-have-fixed-the-last-jedi/

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WP&P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,068 Posts
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nice shirt WP! Oh yeah the Falcon and modules are nice too.
    The Little Rock Line blog

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Allen H. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,243 Times in 851 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WP,

Especially love the last photo! Good to see some youngsters showing an interest as well. That's promising for the hobbies future
    Cheers Tony

"Knowing what to do is one thing ... being able to do it is another"
    "It is easy to criticize ... a lot harder when you have to justify it"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wombat457 For This Useful Post: