Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Al's Kustom Train Kars

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,529
    Thanks
    701
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 663 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Al's Kustom Train Kars

    Anyone know anything about these cars? Trovestar has some others from the same custom shop but not these and I cannot find any other examples of them online. Thanks in advance.

    20181013_202518 -r.jpg

    20181013_202554.jpg

    20181013_202530 -r.jpg

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    1,081
    Thanks
    2,298
    Thanked 884 Times in 553 Posts
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    These may be custom versions of Micro-Trains (USA) ACF 40' Double Sheathed Wood Reefer
    http://www.spookshow.net/freight/mt40woodreefer.html

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotian_Huntress For This Useful Post:

    Mac

  5. #3
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,529
    Thanks
    701
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 663 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotian_Huntress View Post
    These may be custom versions of Micro-Trains (USA) ACF 40' Double Sheathed Wood Reefer
    http://www.spookshow.net/freight/mt40woodreefer.html
    Yep -- apparently using these decals:


    (those are HO but I guess they were also made in N-scale).

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Huntley,Ill
    Posts
    2,020
    Thanks
    3,979
    Thanked 1,710 Times in 783 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chicago Rail For This Useful Post:

    Mac

  8. #5
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,529
    Thanks
    701
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 663 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Rail View Post
    I see the style but not those exact units...

    I guess I was kinda wondering if I should save or sell them sealed (i.e., are they worth anything sealed up like this) or should I just open them up and put them into "circulation". Seems that although they are unusual they may not be anything too unusual (i.e., simple Microscale decal set applied to MTL cars).

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NJ, near old Lehigh Valley RR
    Posts
    2,431
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,828
    Thanked 2,402 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Al's Kustom Train Kars
    Anyone know anything about these cars?
    I have a number of Al's Kustoms. They ran a number of custom tank cars that I found unique. I could not find much about them and wondered if there was some early connection to N Scale Collector or N Scale Enthusiast?

    A "SOLD" Ebay search shows recent Al's items...
    Last edited by Jugtown Modeler; 14th Oct 2018 at 06:42 PM.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

    The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Huntley,Ill
    Posts
    2,020
    Thanks
    3,979
    Thanked 1,710 Times in 783 Posts
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was looking at this one.
    https://www.midwestmodelrr.com/product/atl50003881/


    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I see the style but not those exact units...

    I guess I was kinda wondering if I should save or sell them sealed (i.e., are they worth anything sealed up like this) or should I just open them up and put them into "circulation". Seems that although they are unusual they may not be anything too unusual (i.e., simple Microscale decal set applied to MTL cars).

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chicago Rail For This Useful Post:

    Mac

  12. #8
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,643
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    574
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 536 Posts
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Nice looking cars.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to P-LineSoo For This Useful Post:

    Mac

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NJ, near old Lehigh Valley RR
    Posts
    2,431
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,828
    Thanked 2,402 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I guess I was kinda wondering if I should save or sell them sealed
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/N-Scale/191...&LH_Complete=1

    They do seem to get slightly higher prices. Not sure if prices reflect perceived or real limited availability. My guess is they filled some gaps in the market and are just not as common.
    They still have an Ebay presence: https://www.ebay.com/str/alskustomtrainkars
    "Welcome to my eBay Store. Al's Kustom Train Kars was the name of our model train business from 1983 to 2004, when we ceased customizing N Scale trains. Hence our name that is still recognized today. "
    "
    Alskustomtrainkars has been in business since 1983, originally producing custom painted N & HO model trains. In 2004, that part of the operation was closed."


    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

    The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802


  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jugtown Modeler For This Useful Post:

    Mac

  16. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,529
    Thanks
    701
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 663 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jugtown Modeler View Post
    They still have an Ebay presence: https://www.ebay.com/str/alskustomtrainkars
    "Welcome to my eBay Store. Al's Kustom Train Kars was the name of our model train business from 1983 to 2004, when we ceased customizing N Scale trains. Hence our name that is still recognized today. "
    "Alskustomtrainkars has been in business since 1983, originally producing custom painted N & HO model trains. In 2004, that part of the operation was closed."
    This industry has seen so many startups come and go... not the best industry to try to make a living in...

  17. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NJ, near old Lehigh Valley RR
    Posts
    2,431
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thanks
    6,828
    Thanked 2,402 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    This industry has seen so many startups come and go... not the best industry to try to make a living in...
    1983-2004 is not terrible, assuming you are making some money. Even just to cover the hobby expenses. To make a living is another story.
    Steve - Jugtown Modeler..............Don't know enough about railroading yet, but scale modeling is my life..............Web-Folio

    The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to a carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man. -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802


Similar Threads

  1. Graffiti Train Runs at Oct. 1 Pepperell Train Show
    By gdmichaels in forum Event Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd Oct 2017, 03:43 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 8th Jun 2016, 11:41 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19th Jan 2016, 05:41 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th Sep 2015, 06:23 PM
  5. Truck vs. Train, train leaves the track, crew seriously injured
    By randomguy65 in forum General Rail Discussion
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 9th Oct 2014, 07:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •