Thread: Traction Tires

Thanks

Default Re:Traction Tires

I think if you put traction tires on all drivers,your engine wouldn't be able to draw power.(or only draw from the tender.)
    I think you only put traction tires on the rear most drivers.

Thanks

Good point! I was thinking more about the balance of the loco on the tracks. It would seem that the drivers that had traction tires would lift the engine up and create a problem with the non-tractioned ones. Or are you supposed to mill the drivers that you put traction on?

Oh well

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,068 Times in 641 Posts

Spanky,

Traction tires will only work on wheels that were designed to hold them. These would be wheels with a "groove" all the way around the wheel on the tread (tires). Notice on your 2-8-8-2, the treads (tires) are all smooth. They weren't designed for traction tires so none would fit or stay on if you tried it. The 2-8-8-2 could use a pair of them.

Dick
    Dick,

Usually, when all is said and done, there's a lot more said than done!

Thanks

So maybe I should buy that mini-milling machine I have always wanted! :wink:

Thanks

Spanky

Stewart makes generic traction tires for both diesels and steam in n scale. Most folks will use them to replace an original equipment traction tire that has stretched and become loose. You can find Stewart listed on the Walther's website and many LHS's sell them as well.

Dangerboy is right. If you put traction tires on all the drivers you won't get any electrical pickup. Generally most steam locos benefit from traction tires because they are too light to get much adhesive traction without them. However on diesels traction tires will interfere with electrical pickup - even if you use them only on 2 wheels. The result is that the diesels will stall and lurch on turnouts (other places too). This is the big reason why most n scale manufacturers have stopped using traction tires on diesels.

Rather than mill the wheel on your diesel, it might be better to try and get a spare geared axle with wheels from the manufacturer and work on that one. That way if you don't like what happens when you mill the wheel and add the traction tires you can go back to the original set.

I've got one of the original Atlas RS3's with traction tires. I ended up changing the axles with traction tires for ones without and the difference in performance was amazing. They still pull 10-12 cars without the traction tires and never stall over turnouts.

I know this is more than you asked for, but thought I'd throw in the extra thoughts.

Snoozer

Thanks

Just a thought:

When I got my very first train set, it was a Lionel 027 steam engine. It's a 2-6-4 with the front and rear sets of drivers flanged and the middle set flat. This particular locomotive came in two model number - 2018 and 2037. The 2037 had magnetized drivers, while the 2018 did not. (Hence, Lionel was able to charge ten bucks more for the 2037.) Lionel referred to this as "Magnetraction".

Would magnetized drivers work for N-scale? At least, for steam they might give some advantage given the relative size of the wheels.
    Joe/KC6NLX
    Linking 13 States with the Nation
    Baltimore and Ohio RR 1827 - ????
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.

Thanks

If your layout has any grades to speak of, I would highly recommend traction tyres for steamers. Diesels have the weight distributed a little differently so, in my opinion not really necessary. Fact is, if you run mainly a diesel fleet, buy multiples of the same model and lash them together for more pulling power and looks more realistic.

However, if you DO plan to actually replace them, buy the tires made for the model, don't mill or use any generic brand. This could screw up the gear mechs. If you can add weight to your loco, I'd go that route first anyway.

Hope this helps!
    "I myself have known some very thoughtful dogs." -James Thurber

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by "Snoozer"
    Spanky

Stewart makes generic traction tires for both diesels and steam in n scale. Most folks will use them to replace an original equipment traction tire that has stretched and become loose. You can find Stewart listed on the Walther's website and many LHS's sell them as well.

Dangerboy is right. If you put traction tires on all the drivers you won't get any electrical pickup. Generally most steam locos benefit from traction tires because they are too light to get much adhesive traction without them. However on diesels traction tires will interfere with electrical pickup - even if you use them only on 2 wheels. The result is that the diesels will stall and lurch on turnouts (other places too). This is the big reason why most n scale manufacturers have stopped using traction tires on diesels.

Rather than mill the wheel on your diesel, it might be better to try and get a spare geared axle with wheels from the manufacturer and work on that one. That way if you don't like what happens when you mill the wheel and add the traction tires you can go back to the original set.

I've got one of the original Atlas RS3's with traction tires. I ended up changing the axles with traction tires for ones without and the difference in performance was amazing. They still pull 10-12 cars without the traction tires and never stall over turnouts.

I know this is more than you asked for, but thought I'd throw in the extra thoughts.

Snoozer
    Stuart and Walters have been out of traction tires for 2 months,they are still back ordered as of today,11/9/2005, Lee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by "joekc6nlx"
    Just a thought:

When I got my very first train set, it was a Lionel 027 steam engine. It's a 2-6-4 with the front and rear sets of drivers flanged and the middle set flat. This particular locomotive came in two model number - 2018 and 2037. The 2037 had magnetized drivers, while the 2018 did not. (Hence, Lionel was able to charge ten bucks more for the 2037.) Lionel referred to this as "Magnetraction".

Would magnetized drivers work for N-scale? At least, for steam they might give some advantage given the relative size of the wheels.

Nope, Lionel trains ran on rail formed out of sheet steel, which being mainly iron, is subject to magnetic forces. Most N scale rail is nickel silver (which is not nickel or silver :LOL: ), which contains no iron, therefore magnetism is useless. N scale drivewheels are generally nickel silver or plastic centers with nickel silver treads, so they cannot be magnetized.

Put the MODELING back in model railroading.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by "thirdrail

Nope, Lionel trains ran on rail formed out of sheet [i
    steel[/i], which being mainly iron, is subject to magnetic forces. Most N scale rail is nickel silver (which is not nickel or silver :LOL: ), which contains no iron, therefore magnetism is useless. N scale drivewheels are generally nickel silver or plastic centers with nickel silver treads, so they cannot be magnetized.
    Ah, but Thirdrail - think of the possibilities here. 3-rail n-scale with steel track operating on AC. Only 3 ties per section of snap track for ease of maintenance. And I'd bet that someone would even offer an operating giiraffe car. :LOL:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by "Snoozer"
    Ah, but Thirdrail - think of the possibilities here. 3-rail n-scale with steel track operating on AC. Only 3 ties per section of snap track for ease of maintenance. And I'd bet that someone would even offer an operating giiraffe car. :LOL:

Please, don't give Micro-Trains any ideas :twisted:
    AR
    Siderod (II)
    Andrew Reid