Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Traction Tires

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re:Traction Tires

    I think if you put traction tires on all drivers,your engine wouldn't be able to draw power.(or only draw from the tender.)
    I think you only put traction tires on the rear most drivers.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re:Traction Tires

    Good point! I was thinking more about the balance of the loco on the tracks. It would seem that the drivers that had traction tires would lift the engine up and create a problem with the non-tractioned ones. Or are you supposed to mill the drivers that you put traction on?

    Oh well

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sanford ME USA
    Posts
    2,537
    Blog Entries
    11
    Thanks
    1,133
    Thanked 2,068 Times in 641 Posts

    Default Re:Traction Tires

    Spanky,

    Traction tires will only work on wheels that were designed to hold them. These would be wheels with a "groove" all the way around the wheel on the tread (tires). Notice on your 2-8-8-2, the treads (tires) are all smooth. They weren't designed for traction tires so none would fit or stay on if you tried it. The 2-8-8-2 could use a pair of them.

    Dick
    Dick,

    Usually, when all is said and done, there's a lot more said than done!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re:Traction Tires

    So maybe I should buy that mini-milling machine I have always wanted! :wink:

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re:Traction Tires

    Spanky

    Stewart makes generic traction tires for both diesels and steam in n scale. Most folks will use them to replace an original equipment traction tire that has stretched and become loose. You can find Stewart listed on the Walther's website and many LHS's sell them as well.

    Dangerboy is right. If you put traction tires on all the drivers you won't get any electrical pickup. Generally most steam locos benefit from traction tires because they are too light to get much adhesive traction without them. However on diesels traction tires will interfere with electrical pickup - even if you use them only on 2 wheels. The result is that the diesels will stall and lurch on turnouts (other places too). This is the big reason why most n scale manufacturers have stopped using traction tires on diesels.

    Rather than mill the wheel on your diesel, it might be better to try and get a spare geared axle with wheels from the manufacturer and work on that one. That way if you don't like what happens when you mill the wheel and add the traction tires you can go back to the original set.

    I've got one of the original Atlas RS3's with traction tires. I ended up changing the axles with traction tires for ones without and the difference in performance was amazing. They still pull 10-12 cars without the traction tires and never stall over turnouts.

    I know this is more than you asked for, but thought I'd throw in the extra thoughts.


    Snoozer

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re:Traction Tires

    Just a thought:

    When I got my very first train set, it was a Lionel 027 steam engine. It's a 2-6-4 with the front and rear sets of drivers flanged and the middle set flat. This particular locomotive came in two model number - 2018 and 2037. The 2037 had magnetized drivers, while the 2018 did not. (Hence, Lionel was able to charge ten bucks more for the 2037.) Lionel referred to this as "Magnetraction".

    Would magnetized drivers work for N-scale? At least, for steam they might give some advantage given the relative size of the wheels.
    Joe/KC6NLX
    Linking 13 States with the Nation
    Baltimore and Ohio RR 1827 - ????
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Tacoma WA
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re:Traction Tires

    If your layout has any grades to speak of, I would highly recommend traction tyres for steamers. Diesels have the weight distributed a little differently so, in my opinion not really necessary. Fact is, if you run mainly a diesel fleet, buy multiples of the same model and lash them together for more pulling power and looks more realistic.

    However, if you DO plan to actually replace them, buy the tires made for the model, don't mill or use any generic brand. This could screw up the gear mechs. If you can add weight to your loco, I'd go that route first anyway.

    Hope this helps!
    "I myself have known some very thoughtful dogs." -James Thurber

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re:Traction Tires

    Quote Originally Posted by "Snoozer"
    Spanky

    Stewart makes generic traction tires for both diesels and steam in n scale. Most folks will use them to replace an original equipment traction tire that has stretched and become loose. You can find Stewart listed on the Walther's website and many LHS's sell them as well.

    Dangerboy is right. If you put traction tires on all the drivers you won't get any electrical pickup. Generally most steam locos benefit from traction tires because they are too light to get much adhesive traction without them. However on diesels traction tires will interfere with electrical pickup - even if you use them only on 2 wheels. The result is that the diesels will stall and lurch on turnouts (other places too). This is the big reason why most n scale manufacturers have stopped using traction tires on diesels.

    Rather than mill the wheel on your diesel, it might be better to try and get a spare geared axle with wheels from the manufacturer and work on that one. That way if you don't like what happens when you mill the wheel and add the traction tires you can go back to the original set.

    I've got one of the original Atlas RS3's with traction tires. I ended up changing the axles with traction tires for ones without and the difference in performance was amazing. They still pull 10-12 cars without the traction tires and never stall over turnouts.

    I know this is more than you asked for, but thought I'd throw in the extra thoughts.


    Snoozer
    Stuart and Walters have been out of traction tires for 2 months,they are still back ordered as of today,11/9/2005, Lee

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Florida's Forgotten Coast
    Posts
    457
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re:Traction Tires

    Quote Originally Posted by "joekc6nlx"
    Just a thought:

    When I got my very first train set, it was a Lionel 027 steam engine. It's a 2-6-4 with the front and rear sets of drivers flanged and the middle set flat. This particular locomotive came in two model number - 2018 and 2037. The 2037 had magnetized drivers, while the 2018 did not. (Hence, Lionel was able to charge ten bucks more for the 2037.) Lionel referred to this as "Magnetraction".

    Would magnetized drivers work for N-scale? At least, for steam they might give some advantage given the relative size of the wheels.

    Nope, Lionel trains ran on rail formed out of sheet steel, which being mainly iron, is subject to magnetic forces. Most N scale rail is nickel silver (which is not nickel or silver :LOL: ), which contains no iron, therefore magnetism is useless. N scale drivewheels are generally nickel silver or plastic centers with nickel silver treads, so they cannot be magnetized.

    Put the MODELING back in model railroading.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re:Traction Tires

    Quote Originally Posted by "thirdrail

    Nope, Lionel trains ran on rail formed out of sheet [i
    steel[/i], which being mainly iron, is subject to magnetic forces. Most N scale rail is nickel silver (which is not nickel or silver :LOL: ), which contains no iron, therefore magnetism is useless. N scale drivewheels are generally nickel silver or plastic centers with nickel silver treads, so they cannot be magnetized.
    Ah, but Thirdrail - think of the possibilities here. 3-rail n-scale with steel track operating on AC. Only 3 ties per section of snap track for ease of maintenance. And I'd bet that someone would even offer an operating giiraffe car. :LOL:

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Windsor Junction, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,083
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts

    Default Re:Traction Tires

    Quote Originally Posted by "Snoozer"
    Ah, but Thirdrail - think of the possibilities here. 3-rail n-scale with steel track operating on AC. Only 3 ties per section of snap track for ease of maintenance. And I'd bet that someone would even offer an operating giiraffe car. :LOL:

    Please, don't give Micro-Trains any ideas :twisted:
    AR
    Siderod (II)
    Andrew Reid
    * * *

Similar Threads

  1. minitrix 4-6-2 traction tires
    By thirdrail in forum Steam
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th Dec 2005, 10:08 AM
  2. Traction Tires
    By brokemoto in forum Steam
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24th Nov 2005, 10:17 PM
  3. Bachmann Traction Tires Question.
    By Bryan in forum Steam
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31st May 2005, 10:49 PM
  4. Bachmann 2-8-0 traction tires
    By BikerDad in forum Steam
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th May 2005, 01:13 PM
  5. traction tires
    By ReptilianFeline in forum Diesel
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th Oct 2004, 11:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •