Thread: Realistic metal wheelsets??

Default Re:Realistic metal wheelsets??

Are you referring to color or the actual look of the wheel? Are you concerned with size too?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Color does not matter but wheelsize and thickness of the treads do matter and they also have to be low profile. I don't think in N scale wheelsize is not as important as it would be in HO. Of course I don't know how much of difference there is in size in N scale. I know when I was dabling in HO there was a noticable difference in wheelsizes. Such as 33" and 36" in wheelsets.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that there is that much difference in diameter between a scale 33" wheel and a scale 36" wheel. If there is, it's so small that the manufacturers probably don't feel it's economically feasible. Not that many people could tell the difference anyway.

I'm using MT trucks, I'm also using MT metal wheelsets in them, as well as Atlas metal wheelsets in my Bachmann Silver Series cars. I have not seen any problem with my wheels, running them on code 55 track. I have not tried running them on code 40, simply because I don't see a need for code 40 in my layout.
    Joe/KC6NLX
    Linking 13 States with the Nation
    Baltimore and Ohio RR 1827 - ????
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the only suppliers, as far as I know, would be Northwest Short Line. They sell N scale metal wheelsets as well as P:160 metal wheelsets. I also recall seeing 33" and 36" wheelsets. I have not seen these firsthand and there is no picture on their website, just pricelists. And these sets are expensive, I believe one set was going for $7-9 (can anyone back me up on this?). Upgrading an entire fleet of rolling stock could be hard on the wallet.

I would be asking myself two questions before I invested in these:

1. Is it really worth it to have metal wheelsets? If you don't mind black plastic treads I think the low-pro MT wheelsets look pretty good and run flawlessly.

2. If the wheelsets are changed, will anyone notice? I find that when I make prototypically correct changes to my layout, I notice them but usually no one else will (unless they are an N scale nut like I am :wink: ). My friends and family like to just see the trains run, which may be easier said than done depending on the stage of construction!

But, I recommend checking out their website and make the decision for yourself! It might be just what you're looking for!
    Aaron

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer the metal wheelsets for a couple of reasons. I like the shiny look to the tread surfaces that you just don't get with plastic wheelsets. I also like the sound that the metal wheel makes as it passes over a joint in the track, the old clickety-clack that I remember from before the days of continuous welded rail.

Aaron, I'm just a nut :? , not necessarily an n-scale nut. I know there are those who believe I'm wrong for also liking to model in HO (horribly oversized, in their opinion). It doesn't matter. I can't imagine even trying to be that nitpicky with my wheelsets that I would say that I had to have P:160 wheels or else. I don't necessarily think that someone who wants to have P:160 wheels is wrong for doing so, I just know that they aren't for me.
    Joe/KC6NLX
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to use the metal wheel sets because I like the way the sound and I think they track a little better. Its nice to see a 35 car train go around Horseshoe Curve on my layout and get the prototypical flange squeal in Nscale with the metal wheelsets....I like that!

Ian
    Ian MacMillan

Rockingham Junction Models
    N Scale, by N Scalers
    www.rockinghamjunctionmodels.com

Pine Tree Models
    Quality N Scale Kits
    www.pinetreemodels.com

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/Ianscape/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5][img]http://imagegen.l

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know the original question was about realistic appearance, but I thought I'd throw a gotcha in here:

I converted quite a few cars (some Atlas and some MT) to Atlas metal wheelsets. I started having some derailment problems, and upon further inspection discovered that every single set (a mix of 33 and 36's) were out of gauge. Additionally, the wheels on these sets are not very firmly attached, so it is possible to loosen them too much when re-gauging. So beware. I'm in the process of changing these over to Intermountain wheels, which I think look better, and have all been dead-on as far as gauge.

As for plastic, I will echo what has been said about the MT low-profile wheels...excellent.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overshoe how did you get the intermountain wheelsets to spin freely in the trucks. When I bought the IM wheelsets they would not hardly spin at all and the train would be dragging the car around instead of it rolling. I would actually consider using them if they would have spung freely in the MT trucks.

The rest of you thanks for all your info.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overshoe how did you get the intermountain wheelsets to spin freely in the trucks. When I bought the IM wheelsets they would not hardly spin at all and the train would be dragging the car around instead of it rolling. I would actually consider using them if they would have spung freely in the MT trucks.
    Jack,

You are correct. I was mistaken about converting my MT cars. I only have 4 of them, and they are currently rolling on Atlas 22133 metal wheels for MT trucks (I suspect they have narrower axles). I tried some IM wheels in one just now, and they do not roll freely. Sorry about that.

Same holds true for MDC trucks binding the Intermountain wheels, but I will at some point be putting Atlas trucks on those which work fine with the IM wheels.

NWSL or somebody sells a tool that looks sort of like a shorty double-ended drill bit for reaming out the trucks for just this sort of thing in HO. Does anyone know of any such thing for N, or a substitute?

Actually, I wish LL made P2K wheelsets for N (metal wheels, plastic axles, no gauging problems).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats alright overshoe. I was really hoping somebody found the answer cause if you did that I was going to try it. I actually like the IM wheelsets. It is just ashame they can't be used in the MT trucks. They were actually the cheap option compared to the 8 dollars per car conversion from NWSL. the IM wheelsets were 8 dollars for a 3 car conversion.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "Overshoe"

NWSL or somebody sells a tool that looks sort of like a shorty double-ended drill bit for reaming out the trucks for just this sort of thing in HO. Does anyone know of any such thing for N, or a substitute?
    The "truck tuner" is available only in HO. It's not designed to ream the trucks out, just clean up the axel pocket and getting out the sprue, excess dirt that builds up, etc.

I think it's made by MicroMark, not NWSL.

Speaking of NWSL, since they make decent metal wheelsets, I asked them if they had considered making metal trucks. Unfortunately, economics plays a big factor in the decision to use all plastic trucks.[/quote]
    Joe/KC6NLX

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I normally use the little MT coil springs on the axles to give the cars a little "Drag," I like the way the Intermountain wheels fit in the MT trucks.
    Now I say that because with my small layout I do not run long trains.
    With the little restraining springs and the tight fitting IM wheels I can "Bunch up" the cars to "Pull the pin" when I manually un-couple my cars. And they will stay where I spot them without rolling away.
    I also use the Atlas wheelsets made for MT trucks in some of my cars.
    No plastic wheels for me! I just wish somebody would make metal couplers now.
    Ds

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are several ways to lock down the wheels once they're gauged. Everything from CA glue to loctite that is compatible with plastic.

One advantage of metal wheelsets- your track stays cleaner longer.