Thread: Decals On Wood ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re:Decals On Wood ?

Decals are happiest when applied to a smooth, glossy painted surface. Any changes to that formula are going to be less and less satisfactory. Success with decals means a lot of liquid and that doesn't go well with wood, either.

If the world was full of choices I'd just suggest using try transfers. They are great for this sort of application.

However, the world is seldom as we want.

So, here's what I do.

Use one of the two part solutions by Microscale, Badger or Testors. The first part is a wetting solution. After soaking the decal - when it slides on the backing - use a fairly large brush and flood the area where the decal goes. Plop down the decal and use a wet brush to float and prod it into final location. Keep adding solution so that no bit of the decal underside is touching and sticking to wood until the placement is correct. Without touching the decal again, use a bit of toweling or a dry paint brush to sop up the excess fluid.

Leave it alone until it looks dry. Then look under a bright light. You are looking for bubbles. Slit each bubble with an X-Acto blade. Then flood the decal with the second solution. Go away and watch TV. The next morning, take another look and repeat. In the evening, repeat. At some point most of the film will sink into the wood. When you are finally willing to accept the job, let it dry another day. Wash or flood the decal and surrounding area with water to wash out all the glue and setting solutions. Dry another day. Then top coat as needed.

Pretty Good is often the best result in this sort of application. The solutions as well as the top coat will discolor the wood. And, sometimes, the second solution will be too active and bits of the decal will distort. "Silvering" is the least desired result. It happens when the first solution wasn't generous enough and the decal attached to an unwetted surface. With bare wood, this can happen pretty easy. There isn't any fix for this.
    <center>[b]Christian
    Brockport, New York<center>[b]

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Decals Require Patience

Christian,

Thanks! I did pretty much as you suggested already. I just didn't extend the steps out as much or repeat as often. Patience is virtue that I have to concentrate on improving for myself. I'm using Micro-Mark's decal finishing system, which includes &quot;setting&quot; and &quot;softening&quot; solutions. I'm a little too conservative in applying solutions too, I think. The word &quot;flood&quot; is not what I'd use to describe my solution applying procedure. :shock:

Plus, I think I'm complicating the process even more in that I'm applying custom decals created by my inkjet printer. Of course I'm spraying the resulting printed decal with a fixative so it won't run or smear when wet, but I believe it increases the thickness of the decal. It doesn't seem to lay flat enough.

Thanks for the advice. I'll use it on my next decal adventure!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem, obviously, is the bare, i.e., unsealed wood. So seal it. Just use a thin acrylic gloss to finish it before you apply the decals.
    Heart of flame, blood of steam, sinews of steel, the iron dragon thundered across the realms, throwing down tyrants and slaughtering despots, until finally, at World's End, it paused in thought. Gazing across the void, it sounded a*triumphant blast, befor

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personaly have put decals on very rough surfaces over the years. (Any of you out there know what zimmeritt is?) The trick is to get the surface glossy. keep pouring on the wood sealer. It might take you several (or many) coats but, the wood will eventualy seal. Put your decals on with a LOT of solution on the surface before you apply the decals. LIGHTLY brush solution over the top of the decals and then then let it be for a while. I've read some descriptions of decals shriveling up at this process and then settling down again. I've never encountered this personaly. I'm advised don't panic if this happens. After your decals dry (I would advise overnight.) Seal your decals with a clear sealer. (gloss, semi gloss or flat depending on your aplication) I personally use Gunze Sangyo products although there are several good manufacturers out there. Use your favorite brand. That should work.
    Bob

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by &quot;ATSF-3751&quot;
    (Any of you out there know what zimmeritt is?)
    Bob
    Zimmermitt eh? Either someone's been building model panzers, or my knowledge of useless trivia is too vast...

probably both.
    "Do Not Hump!?!?! Does that mean what I think it means?!?"--Michelle Blanchard

"People saw wood and say nothing, but railroad men saw trains and say things that are better left unprinted."--Charles De Lano Hine

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GIVE THE MAN A CIGAR!
    You know what I mean by rough finish now don't you?
    I have come, as I said before on this site, to model railroading after many years (make that decades :?) building static models including German armor.
    Bob