Thread: Painting on Extruded Polystyrene

Thanks

Default Re:Painting on Extruded Polystyrene

Can you refresh my memory of what polystyrene is? Is that the foam stuff that breaks into little white balls?

Trying to help,

Scott Chisholm

Thanks

I've seen people just paint straight onto the foam with latex paint. Get a dirt color latex paint from the rejects bin at the local hardware store. You can paint the foam and spinkle ground foam on it while it is wet to keep from having to glue it later.
    Rails Across America - My railfan photoblog.

Thanks

Default What extruded polystyrene is...

Scott, EPS is the pink or blue insulating foam that can be found in hardware stores. The white stuff that can be easily broken is expanded polystyrene.

Delray Beach, Florida, USA - Ex Busselton, Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 757 Posts

The white foam that breaks into little balls is the expanded type, and the blue/pink stuff is the extruded type (preferred for modelling)...
    Bryan
    “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci (1452–1519)

Thanks

Default Re: What extruded polystyrene is...

Quote Originally Posted by "kapuklak"
    Scott, EPS is the pink or blue insulating foam that can be found in hardware stores. The white stuff that can be easily broken is expanded polystyrene.
    Kapuklak-

Got it! I think. I always get that backwards.

I literally just finished a layout using polystyrene (what I call pink foam sheet insulation because I didn't know any better ) and delivered it to my Dad last night. (Check out the "Coffee Table" photo album in the image gallery. For some reason only the thumbnails work.... :? )

Anyway, I just paint the stuff with a couple of thin coats of latex paint. For hills, etc, I carve them with a hot knife/foam cutter and glue them in place with hot glue. I then cover them in plaster cloth to smooth out the profile, then hit it with the latex paint.

For my lake, I applied four coats (paranoid?) of flex paste directly onto the foam, then airbrushed it prior to pouring on the EnviroTex.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Scott Chisholm

Thanks

I just painted over my extruded foam contours with latex paint, no plaster layer. I had sanded the foam so it was pretty smooth. Probably wasn't necessary as the ground foam pretty well covers up any imperfections.

In some areas I sprinkled ground foam into the wet paint. But since I usually blend several layers of ground foam to get color variations, I wind up having to spray/glue anyway. (Only the first bit/layer of ground foam will stick to the wet paint. Any that lands on top of foam is going to stay loose.)

If I had any rock outcroppings I might have used a coating of plaster over the foam. But since my layout is all gentle contours and dirt/vegetation covered, paint on foam worked fine for me.

Just my technique, may not work for you.

Regards

Ed

Thanks

I found the perfect color acrylic latex for covering my foam and plaster/Hydrocal. The question is, will the usual methods of gluing roadbed to the foam work as well after it's painted? Or, even more to the point, can roadbed (cork, OK?) be glued down, then paint everything the ground color, let it dry, and come back and expect the trax to stick to the paint using whatever method (matte medium, Pliobond, latex contact cement, etc.)?

Thanks

Just one cautionary note... whatever you do, don't paint the stuff with spray cans... the accelerant in the cans will melt/dissolve the styrofoam. Trust me... I know