Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re:Woodland Scenics N scale "Scenic Ridge" kit

Hi Sparky,

Those WS kits are nice. Right now the TV show "Workin on the Railroad" on the DIY network is rerunning a series on the WS kits. It is an HO version, but the info they give will be 100% applicable to the Scenic Ridge kit. The show is on Saturdays at 8:30 pm EST and repeats at 11:30 pm. If I am not mistaken, they are on episode 3 of the 5 episodes. Each show they continue where they left off. Plus the guy helping the host, Chris Chianetelli {SP?}, is Miles Hale. Miles is a master layout builder from my understanding, and he gives some great tips on how to do stuff easily.

As for the Bachmann part, what you said is true, they are not held in high regards. But that doesn't mean squat if you like it. They aren't bad from my limited experiences, just they are bottom or real close to the bottom of the barrel compared to the other manufacturers.

Use what you like Sparky, it's your railroad.

As for using the Bachmann EZ-Track, I don't see why it wouldn't work. From watching the series on DIY, all you do is lay the track on the pretemplated foam. I would think the only issue that may arise is that Bachmann might not offer the same radius curves as Atlas... but I do not know. All it may come down to is you needing to redesign the layout a bit to work with the specs of the Bachmann track.
    neynoodle@gmail.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Woodland Scenics N scale "Scenic Ridge" kit

Many thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, there is no DIY net or channel or anything like on the cable system in my neck of the woods. I was told of a similar (if not the same) program that ran in CA. Several of the supply houses told me that they sold out of their Woodland Scenics kits of both the N scale "Scenic Ridge" and the HO "River Pass" kits before Christmas when they ran that series of programs. WS lists a video in their inventory, but I haven't yet found out if it covers any of the elements of either of these kits. Since I have a lot of B'mann ez track and switches, I think if I get that "Scenic Ridge" kit I might try to see if it would work before I buy the Atlas track pack. The WS "Scenic Ridge" kit lists for $279 but I've been able to find it for as little as $169; I think it comes with almost everything I'll need to make a layout except track/buildings/trains (all of which I already have), and I like the ease of that.

Best regards,

Sparky

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sparky,

There is nothing at all that says you have to build the Scenic Ridge kit exactly the way Woodland Scenics suggests. They do not have a goon squad that will kick down your door if you do something different. In fact, I have a magazine article somewhere where somebody took that kit and turned it into an N-Trak module.

There is nothing wrong with Bachmann; we're just snobs.

What follows is my personal opinion, and is worth exactly what you paid!

There are several different manufacturers that cater to different economic groupings. With regard to plastic shell models (as opposed to those made of brass), when it comes to engines, Kato/Atlas are pretty much considered top of the line. Microtrains probably could be ranked with them.

Life-Like is the mid-range product.

Bachmann's Spectrum line.... Well, to be honest, the vote is still out on that. Several of my friends swear by their 2-8-0, while others think they should be burned at the stake. I have a Spectrum Dash-8 diesel, and for the longest time, I didn't like it. Then, I realized that the reason I didn't like it was because it didn't work and play well with my Atlas and Kato engines. However, I found that working by itself, it will haul 15-20 grain hoppers with little difficulty. I plan on swapping out the Rapido couplers with MicroTrains couplers here in the next few weeks, a sign of my increasing estimation of that engine.

Bachmann's starter sets, such as you described, are just that: starter sets. They are intended to bring model railroading to "the masses", and are priced accordingly. Their relatively low price comes at, well, a price: reduced detail and quality. My first engine was a Bachmann 0-6-0 from the "Iron Duke" starter set, if I remember correctly. I still have it, and it is destined to become a Christmas train. It runs and barks just fine; just not fast or loud enough to run with my Big Dogs.

I have a Model Power engine that hasn't been out of it's box in nearly seven years. I hate it, and cannot with any honestly recommend that product line.

As Ragnarock said, it's your railroad. If you are happy, who cares what the rest of us think? All we ask of you are photos of your layout when it's running!

Regards,

Scott Chisholm

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you on't have too much bachmann ez track. I'd recommend the kato unitrack 1000x over the bachmann. I don't think it is that much more but it is a much better product and you will be happier with smooth running trains, quality and the kato selection of track, bridges, etc.
    www.toytrainheaven sells it very cheap!

I have been in model railroading for many years and most of it with N scale.
    I have gone the cheap route (using bachmann track, bachmann locos, older lifelike locos, life like switches, etc and in the long run, it is not worth it to go cheap. the stuff does not last, does not run as well.
    the old saying " you get what you pay for" applies well here in not only how long it lasts, but how well it runs. if it derails all the time, that is frusterating.
    I have heard and seen the bachmann spectrum 2-8-0 is a good engine, otherwise I'd stay away from bachmann.
    When I bought my first kato loco, I coudl not believe how nice it was, solid, smooth, runs sooo nice.

Bachmann spectrum 2-8-0 are avaible off ebay (buy it now) for only $60.

you can get kato and atlas diesels for $40 & up on sites.
    http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/manuf...nsalepage.html
    http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/manuf...katonsale.html
    http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/manuf...ginesn_is.html

some mid grade lifelike locos:
    http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/manuf...n.html?scale=N
    Model RailRoading since 1976

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sparky, I too received both those sets for my 50th birthday 18 months ago. The 4-4-0s are still going strong, I have since purchased 2 more Bachmann 4-4-0s. All for are great little locos. They are NOT fast, nor can they pull over about 6-8 cars, BUT that is prototypical. Those locos used to pull 4-5 cars max. and have a maximum speed of 40 MPH.

I am progressing slowly with my layout. Check out the website in my profile.
    Will -- Modeling the Credit Valley circa 1880-1900

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to everyone for the commments and suggestions. I really appreciate them. I did read that was mentioned about building the "Scenic Ridge" kit modified for an N-Trak module; it's interesting, but I prefer the WS track plan in the kit. And there are more things I've found via Google that I will check out. I will report in when I get things started, and I will get some photos of things as soon as I learn how to use my new digital camera. I've found two pretty good oral/visual resource/helper internet contacts for what I plan to do, but at age 75 all this new stuff is somewhat daunting. "I'm dancing as fast as I can."

Best regards,

Sparky

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chances are if you get the Scenic Ridge kit, you will need to modify it some to be compatible with EZtrak. Bachmann's trak simply dosen't come with the same track components. The good news is it's all plastic Code 80 trak. The bad news is you have to work with their turnouts to get them to operate properly. Short wheelbase locos like their Americans will be especially troublesome. They don't like bad trackwork.
    You might want to get an Atlas mogul or upgrade further with the Athearn/MDC 2-8-0 consolidation. They should release their 2-6-0 Mogul very soon. At least you would stay with some 19th century prototypes. A little paint may yield a nice family of locos.
    Glenn Woodle

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sparky,
    i second glenn's suggestions.
    the b'mann 4-4-0's are notoriously finicky with track.
    i have ez-track and dont use it as i had lots of problems with derailments at the TO's (i ended up returning them to the lhs).
    unitrack is by far a better choice....bullet-proof
    also a much better selection of track is available.
    btw it wouldnt be too hard to substitute unitrack for the given atlas track plan of the scenic ridge...i've seen many who have done it.
    lastly, do consider changing the given track plan at least a little to add a bit of operating diversity.
    otherwise you may end up tiring pretty quickly of the train just going in "circles"...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been following the postings of someone who is currently building the "Scenic Ridge" kit. It is very helpful to me to see how someone else handles things. and I especially like helpful hints that come from hindsight. He has shown me two things he has done to vary the track plan to allow more possibilities for the layout: one involves a turnout for a spot WS designated for an industry, and the second allows an additional/parallel siding off the main "roundy-round" portion (which is sort of an up-and-over figure 8 which flows into an all-encircling oval.) And I think there are other possibilities. I'm looking forward to seeing how this guy works out all the other things in that kit. I still have not decided whether or not to get it. A member here is sending me a plan that uses EZ track to emulate the "Scenic Ridge" track plan. All of this is a very enjoyable learning experience for me. There is a lot of great information to be gleaned from postings in all the fora here, and I appreciate all of the thoughts and comments and suggestions.

Best regards,

Sparky

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would have to agree with the guy above [sorry...i'm bad with names AND forum board tricks] that recommended toytrainheaven for the unitrack. by all account kato's track is better than e-z track by leaps and bounds, and i recently did a price comparison between kato's msrp and tth. tth's overall cost for enough track to build the "world's greatest hobby" track plan was 25% cheaper than kato's msrp. i too have some b'mann e-z track and to be blunt......i think it sucks. can't even manage a simple oval [imho :wink: ]. my "ever evolving" layout intentions are also leaning to one of the ws layouts and i do intend to use kato's track to go along with it. :roll: [he gazed wistfully at the pink foam........] i'll be so relieved when all i gotta do is run trains..
    one thing i learn every day is that i don't know very much......

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "kebmo"
    i'll be so relieved when all i gotta do is run trains..
    That is a noble goal but alas there is always something else to do when modeling railroads. It's always a work in progress.

I too want to "run the trains" but it just ain't that easy. You got a lot of work to do and then there is always more. A lot of fun though.

I have built the WS Scenic Ridge kit...I had some pics but can't find them. I'm in the landscapting phase and will take more pics soon.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't suppose you have an itemized listing of the track segments you could post....do ya? i'm gonna do the scenic ridge layout and i'd like to use unitrack instead of doing all that confounded ballasting....lol.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best I can do is give you this URL from Woodland Scenics web site. It shows the track plan and the items from the Atlas track pack for "Scenic Ridge'" but it is not the easiest thing to read or see. I might also add that www.woodlandscenics.com provides a great deal of detailed information about their products, and has many other things of interest and value, at least to someone like me who doesn't yet know enough of modeling to be snobbish about it. :P Here's the URL for the track plan and list:

http://www.woodlandscenics.com/images/st1182b.jpg

Best regards,

Sparky

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you! i was at their website looking for it and wasn't able to find it anywhere. you're quite the sleuth! :l

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sleuth? :roll: Perhaps, as some of my friends love to me, I need to get a life! When you're as much a newbie at all this as am I, I think it very worth while just to click every available tab one at a time at every site I find to visit. Why else would I wade through so much of the dreck at ncale.net? :P Now, lest anyone here take offense, I hasten to add that while I don't pretend to understand much of the arcane terms and language, I really do profit from ALL the nscale.net postings. :wink:

I don't remember where I found this, but here is another bit of information that might be of help:

Contents: Atlas track pack for

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for a 'newbie' you've been a huge help. i'm a newbie too. one of our compadres posted a link to the scenic ridge track plan at kato.com, and that's exactly what i was hoping to find. i will be using the kato track instead of the atlas snap track. probably cost a little more but from what i've gleaned from this site it should be worth the extra money. i also plan on extending the scenic ridge layout to 3'x8' and adding an industrial spur [lumber yard], creek, and farm pond in the extention area [i need a home for deloney's barn].
    if you haven't started on your layout yet i would suggest the kato track. everyone that i've read that uses it claims it to be "bulletproof". that's right up my alley. good luck with your layout sparky. i'm going to be ordering mine in a week or so and plan on starting right in on it. if you haven't used the woodland scenics products i recommend spending a little money and getting one of their practice kits. i bought their landscaping kit a while back and was really happy with the way it turned out. that seemed like a good move for me as i'm very new at this and wanted to learn how some of the scenery was done before i tackled a layout. it's just amazing what's out there and how detailed you can get.
    the problem with this website is that the more i learn....the dumber i feel. i'm still trying to learn the language fer cryin' out loud.
    just curious.....what do you plan on using for structures?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have yet to buy the "Scenic Ridge" kit itself, although I do like the idea of getting (almost) everything I need in one package. I'm still looking for the best (low) price. I was gifted with B'mann Old Timer 1860s stuff for my 75th birthday and Christmas etc., and I want to try to use it. I'm really not interested in making my modeling like a Faberge Imperial Egg. I have neither the skill nor the patience to do many of the things I hear about here. So as best I can with simple forms of weathering etc., I plan to use the "built-up" items I've been given, all of which seem to have been purchased with an eye to keeping within the time frame of the "Prairie Flyer" and "Frontiersman" sets. There are a few gift kits that I will try to build. And I would like to do something with a lumber mill/yard/etc. situation, perhaps in the area the SR kit provides for an industry, although I've also wondered about extending the kit to a 4'x8' area which might adapt better. I'd like to keep things rural. I admire that DeLoney's Barn kit, but I think it's a bit pricey for me at this point until I see what I do with all the stuff I've been given. As for track plans, an Nscale.net member sent me a possible track plan using B'mann E-Z track; I have tons of that stuff too. So, all in all, I am sure whatever I come up with will not meet the very high standards of realism and authenticity many members and modelers like and want, but as Rhett said to Scarlet, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." I'm just an old guy looking for some pleasant things to do.

Best regards,

Sparky

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm with you as far as not being quite as serious about the hobby as many of our esteemed nscale members are, but i do tend to lean more toward realism with regard to scenery and structures than with the rails and their associated operations, largely because i know very little about them.
    i agree, deloney's was 'pricey' but i really wanted it for a farm scene that will eventually make it onto my layout(s).
    i've not seen a built-up structure that i "deemed" to be quite realistic enough with the exception of the incredibly expensive stuff of say...george sellios, and none at all in nscale. jl innovations have some decent structures that are fairly easy to build. bar mills has some nice structures too. i've only built one of their's so far, but i see a saulena's tavern on my streetcorner in the near future. gc laser has some real nice kits too, but i've not built one yet. one thing that this hobby has taught me......patience, and that is something that i needed.
    i borrowed a digital camera from my son so i hope to be putting up some pictures of some of the structures that i've built in the near future. til then....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by "kebmo"
    i don't suppose you have an itemized listing of the track segments you could post....do ya? i'm gonna do the scenic ridge layout and i'd like to use unitrack instead of doing all that confounded ballasting....lol.
    I used UNITRAK for my Scenic Ridge...worked like a charm with a little adjustment...

Go here and then click on the Woodland Scenics "Scenic Ridge" plan.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i appreciate the info. i was there this morning and i'm a little puzzled. for instance....the material list says quantity of 10 for item #20-000. this product comes 4 pcs to the package. does that mean i need 40 pieces [10 packages] or 3 packages with 2pcs left over? i'm so confused...