PDA

View Full Version : Peeling/flaking paint

MikeS
5th Jul 2007, 09:43 AM
Hi MRLdave

Try painting over a small portion of the decal with the exact same color paint that adjoins the portion of the decal you wish to 'peel', either the BN Green (to simulate the peeling blue extending through the decal) or the MRL Blue (to simulate just the decal peeling).

Regards
Mike S.

pcarrell
5th Jul 2007, 11:36 AM
I know that you can paint a base color and then lightly coat and area with rubber cemet, paint over the top ot that, then remove or partially lift sections of the rubber cement to simulate peeling paint. You might experiment with placing a decal over all of the paint before you lift the rubber cement and that might give the effect you're after, I don't know. I've not tried it, but it sounds like it might work.

Whatever you come up with, share it with us as I know there would be a lot of us who would be interested in your results.

railmiles
5th Jul 2007, 12:49 PM
I've used the method suggested above with some success. Needs a really light touch though, otherwise it looks terrible. Plenty of practice on some scrap styrene or an old box car is required.

I'd be intereted in what blue you use for MRL blue? None of the paint manufacturers I've got access to (I'm in the UK) seem to make one.

Anthony

MrGibbly
24th Dec 2007, 01:33 PM
There are two other approaches that I have read about in the past. The first is to apply your base coat and initial set of decals and then to come back through with the top coat. For the top coat decals the article recommended using dry transfers and "not completely transfering" them to the surface. An alternative might be to "damage" your top layer of decals before transfering them to the model so that you can see through patches to the color/image underneath in places.

ohk9cop
22nd Jan 2008, 03:45 PM
I have done this on a couple of my cars with some pretty good success. I left the original color on and painted my new color on top. I then added the new decals and let everything dry and cure for several days. I then came back with a scotchbrite pad (those green dish scrubbers) and lightly scuffed the new paint and decals which reveal the old paint underneath. The more you scuff the rougher the car. When I get it were I want it I then seal it with dullcote or clear matte finish, whatever I have on hand. I then weather with chalks for the final touches.Good Luck