PDA

View Full Version : Dynamometer Car

aroc
11th Oct 2007, 06:02 PM
Pretty cool but for us neophytes.....what is a dynomometer car and what does it do?I'm not brave enough to tackle anything like that as yet. Someday though....EricAnaconda, MT

BryanC (RIP)
11th Oct 2007, 06:10 PM
I aso wondered what that was! I did a define: dynamometer car on Google and came up with:A dynamometer car is a railroad maintenance of way car used for measuring various aspects of a locomotive's performance. ...
<span style="color: #008000"><u>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer car</u></span> ("http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&start=0&oi=define&q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer+car&usg=AFQjCNFnLA69ZLsxSE_u2O3oi8 L6RuyzcQ")So, there you are!

absnut
11th Oct 2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks, Eric. In the early to middle 20th century, most railroads had their own dynomometer car. Basically, it was designed to test/monitor loco prformance. Usually, it was cut in behind the tender (or loco in the case of diesels) and had equipment inside that measured drawbar pull, etc. The one I modeled finished up its career as a storage car and at least ten years ago stood derilict in one of the B&A's yards.Scratch-building is fun and, of course, one sure-fire way of getting equipment you want but can't buy!Cogito, ergo sum! 

BryanC (RIP)
11th Oct 2007, 06:13 PM
Darn! Cut off at the pass!

absnut
11th Oct 2007, 06:29 PM
/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-tongue-out.gif/modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-sealed.gif LOL, Sorry! /modules/tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-laughing.gif

Jimmi (RIP)
11th Oct 2007, 10:52 PM
Can usually count on Dick to find something unusual to scratchbuild. Cool car.Jim

Komata
12th Oct 2007, 03:06 AM
Many RR's used older cars for their Dynamometer vehicles, so it would be quite prototypical to use an older vehicle for this purpose - a clerestory car (suitably modified and designated) could therefore be attached to a modern locomotive and train and be true to life.But, where those model prototype rather than freelance could have a problem will be in trying to locate a suitable vehicle to duplicate their chosen unit.Just a thought . . . Komata"TVR - serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Michael
12th Oct 2007, 08:26 AM
Well done!Sincerely,Jimmie Walker

Michael
12th Oct 2007, 08:27 AM

absnut
12th Oct 2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks, gents. A good deal of discussion was done among friends concerning the origins of this particular car on the B&A. Some speculated that, since the B&A was usually quite frugal, it was a rebuild, possibly on a B&M 50' express reefer. However, it also closely resembles a factory built dynamometer, built by Alco so, until more is known, the question remains unresoved regarding this particular car. True, some RR's have converted some passenger equipment to this purpose. And, if one wanted to have a dynamometer for their own RR's use, some creativity with an existing passenger car incorporating some of the common characteristics and details could, certainly, produce a credible representation of one. Here, you can find a photo of the B&A car.http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?2005011610502424820.jpg:bysearch:dynamometer:SEAR CHTYPE=SIMPLE&PAGE=1&BOOL=ALL&SEARCHST RING=dynamometer ("http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?2005011610502424820.jpg:bysearch:dynamometer:SEAR CHTYPE=SIMPLE&PAGE=1&BOOL=ALL&SEARCHST RING=dynamometer")

Bryan
12th Oct 2007, 12:41 PM
A dyno car could be another good guise for a track cleaning car, if you're in the kit-bashing mode.

absnut
12th Oct 2007, 01:23 PM
That's a great idea, Blue. I've got a pair of Tomix, Japanese type, electric maintenance cars I bought years ago. They are a track cleaning set... one is powered to move the pair along. The other's motor turns the two axles on one truck in opposite directions, the wheels of which truck are ribbed to "burnish" the rails. Does an adequate job of keeping my tracks clean. They measure out at 73' so quite adaptable to a passenger car body, etc.