PDA

View Full Version : The B-Line The whole story

Jimmi (RIP)
30th Oct 2007, 11:21 PM
Albey25. Good history for your line. Gives it an interesting past, and a glimpse of the B Line's future. Keep those government grants coming!Jim

sxzero
31st Oct 2007, 03:26 AM
Great story, its preety rich in detail.

Albey25
2nd Nov 2007, 07:53 AM
Glad you enjoyed the story. Actually, it isn't nearly as fictional as you might think. The names may have been changed to protect the guilty, but the government grants, bribes, and politicians getting their pictures taken is right out of today's headlines if you live south of Boston. The Mass Bay Commuter Rail has recently (within a week) opened, or should I say re-opened, the Greenbush Line. It should have taken a year to get it done, but frivolous lawsuits and politicians with personal agendas stretched it out to about 5 years. The re-opening holds personal meaning for me as my dad worked in the old Greenbush Yard for a short time in the 50's, before he bid his way back into Boston. The original part of the story of the Shiretown Branch being built to accomdate a single township is right out of hundreds of factual accounts of rail construction in the late 1800's. The sad truth remains that even with the recent resurgence of rail use, today's industry is a mere shadow of its former self. Ooops I forgot, this is supposed to be about model railroading...I'll shut up now.--Al