PDA

View Full Version : I have promised to write an article.....

MooseID
25th Apr 2009, 06:37 PM
...about photographic composition. I have Part 1 completed. When I attempted to enter it in my Blog on the old software, I ran into some problems. So I decided to wait for the new software to come on line.

Now it is here, but I am not going to honor my commitment to post my article.

In the intervening time while waiting for the new software I found an article on the web that explains everything I was going to write about. This article is far better than anything I could have done. It is well written, concise, well presented with comparitive images.

So, rather than cheat the membership here with my scribblings I recommend that you all look at the article I refer to:

http://photoinf.com/General/KODAK/guidelines_for_better_photographic_composition_int roduction.html

a_batey
30th Apr 2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for that. I have been meanig to read up on composition for a while and i think it has helped me. Now all i need to do is go shoot some photos.

oldnslow
5th May 2009, 08:47 PM
My tip is to use a tripod, which gives you a chance to stand back a little and think about rule of thirds and avoiding mergers, balance and all that good stuff. It also will generally give sharper images.

Michael
5th May 2009, 10:02 PM
Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but I wanted to point out that if you are using a digital camera and/or are familiar with Photoshop etc. your composition doesn't need to be perfect. The rule of thirds is a great guideline, but sometimes we forget that thanks to digital editing it isn't necessary to 'frame' you shot perfectly. If you have the option (and a higher MP camera) take your photo with an excess of perimeter details - you can later crop the shot to get it 'just right'.

Speaking from experience, I always prefer a photo that is crisp/good resolution with plenty of 'margin' so that I can spend more time framing the shot in my digital darkroom, rather then a shot that can't be manipulated because it was too tight.

Those points aside, good article - thanks!

MooseID
6th May 2009, 01:02 PM
Michael, you make a good point. Whether you use a film darkroom or a digital virtual darkroom, many photos can be improved upon after the fact. This is called post-production processing.

However, the majority of us do not have access to post production facilities, nor the skills to use them. That is why I always suggest doing the best you can with composition within the camera at the time the picture is taken.

Including a margin around the desired compostion and then cropping in post production is often a standard practice of professional photographers. Specially if they have 'people' to do the post production editing for them.