PDA

View Full Version : Ballast?

WatchthegapMTA
20th Jan 2010, 04:06 PM
Does anyone run a lot of MOW stock. Running a commuter railway has come to mean that all my stock beyond passenger cars is MOW related and mainly I forsee most of my loads being ballast. I know having piles of it and a few vehicles for loading is one way to go about showing this operation (cause I do have a set of sidings devoted for MOW work. But I wanna jazz it up with a structure maybe. What do u think, I was thinking maybe a gravel structure. I don't want anything big just like equiptment looking structures if any. Otherwise it will prolly be 2 frontloaders and 2 piles of ballast next to a stock siding.

MooseID
20th Jan 2010, 04:29 PM
Don't forget about ties and rails. Need them for MOW, too.

Track welding car

Track grinder car

Trackside weed burner

MOW workers

Signals and crossing lights electrical maintenance Hi-Railer

Paint shop

Welding shop

Section houses

Speeders and sheds

Crew transportation

Hand pump cars and sheds

Supervisor's office

Construction engineer's office

Paraphenalia...shovels, picks, ladders, tools, tool boxes, wheel barrows, etc.

Scrap piles

Lots of stuff for MOW

Gen
20th Jan 2010, 05:34 PM
Encyclomoosia.

seanm
20th Jan 2010, 05:37 PM
Water an restroom faculiities for the crew!!
Tank cars with nonpotable water for hosing stuff down.
Generators
Fuel for generators and other equipment
Track geometry car (forget what they are called)

There is a LOT of stuff needed!

seanm
20th Jan 2010, 05:37 PM
Encyclomoosia.

Hahah!! That is a good one!!

WatchthegapMTA
20th Jan 2010, 06:36 PM
well none of that answered my question really...

BryanC (RIP)
20th Jan 2010, 07:02 PM
well none of that answered my question really...Maybe this is a good time to rephrase your question?

Las Vegas UP
20th Jan 2010, 07:33 PM
I'll take a stab at it...

I would add a gravel or dirt lot to park vehichles such as dump trucks, tractors, and other MOW equipment. You need somewhere to set up shop, someting besides track sidings. I wouldn't add anything big. You can find MOW buildings online. They look small and fit just about anywhere. You don't want a big bulky building in the way. The MOW area is supposed to be an accent piece. By adding a large gravel tower, you'll make it a focal point.

landscaping wiz 808
20th Jan 2010, 07:49 PM
Here are a few pictures I snapped at the local NS maintenance facility. They seem to store everything from hi-rails & back hoes to tie bundles & spare signals. They also have a simple one stall maintenance building on site.Hope it helps.

Bob

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n326/landscapingwiz808/023.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n326/landscapingwiz808/019-1.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n326/landscapingwiz808/021-2.jpg

Las Vegas UP
20th Jan 2010, 08:01 PM
See, everything that I discribed are in those pictures. Keep it small and simple.

seanm
20th Jan 2010, 09:29 PM
If you wanted to go a little bigger, one of those generic blue steel buildings as an inside work area would look good.

paddy78
21st Jan 2010, 01:26 AM
In wiz's middle photo on the far left is something you will find along just about every major line in the USA: a radio tower. Surprising how few of these appear on model railroads, but out there, trains dont move without 'em.