I did better when I got my wireless micro color camera with receiver
total cost of $27.96
Works beautiful! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

seanm
24th Jun 2010, 11:51 PM
OOps! I feel your pain.

Sherman
25th Jun 2010, 11:57 AM
With stuff like that lighter spycam I think we take a risk. It comes from China where QC can be non-existent. The upside is that if it works its a deal at $14. I got lucky with mine, in that it works but I figured if I lost $14 I wouldn't be too upset.

Over the years I've also purchased several cameras and lenses from sellers in the former Soviet Union. One model I purchased new has a reputation for being rather iffy in the quality department. The general consensus among buyers/collectors is that if it works out of the box it may well work forever. However the chance of it working out of the box is only about 60%. I figure these cheap made in China items are probably the same way.

--Sherman

NscaleTrainMan
25th Jun 2010, 07:44 PM
With stuff like that lighter spycam I think we take a risk. It comes from China where QC can be non-existent. The upside is that if it works its a deal at $14. I got lucky with mine, in that it works but I figured if I lost $14 I wouldn't be too upset.

Over the years I've also purchased several cameras and lenses from sellers in the former Soviet Union. One model I purchased new has a reputation for being rather iffy in the quality department. The general consensus among buyers/collectors is that if it works out of the box it may well work forever. However the chance of it working out of the box is only about 60%. I figure these cheap made in China items are probably the same way.

--Sherman

Even their instruction are very poor, They had made mention of some tiny car to install, but there is no slot at all inside or out

Sherman
26th Jun 2010, 10:01 AM
The micro-sd card slot is very small and is under the cap (the part with the flat section which you would push to light it if it were a real lighter). That cap just pulls right off and there is a very small slot into which the micro-sd card goes. The camera will not work without the card since that is the memory card for the video. Also it needs to be charged for at least 3 hours before use. To charge you just plug it into a USB port of a computer which is turned on. The USB connector is also under the cap.

Once it is charged and the micro-sd card is inserted then you can take video with it. That can be complicated since it has several modes and there is only one button. Put the cap back on since the button is in the cap. You push the button down for two seconds or so and the light will flash a few times then stop. That puts it in "spy cam mode" where it will turn on for three minutes if sound levels rise above 64dB or so. Pushing the button down quickly while in spy mode takes individual pictures. Pushing the button down for four seconds while in spy mode changes it to video mode. The light comes on and it is shooting video until you push the button down for four more seconds to turn it off. It would be easier if there were a slide switch to change modes but it is what it is.

--Sherman

REM37411
26th Jun 2010, 08:20 PM
By the title you can see I received ny 99 cent plus $14.95 shipping
wonder video spy camera lighter, an absolute piece of Junk, that does
not work and just fell apart on me after waiting several weeks,

I did better when I got my wireless micro color camera with receiver
total cost of $27.96
Works beautiful! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am with you, I got the exact same camera but I had a LITTLE more luck with mine. I got it to take a very short video (accidentally) while checking it outl. And one other video about a week later (again accidentally) But as far as getting it to work when I wanted it to?? NO WAY! I agree a piece a crap trash and I am out 14 bucks also! I am doing some research and have found one for about a $120 that is a good reputable dealer. I may try it....big jump in price but the quality is no doubt there.

YellowBeard
28th Jun 2010, 03:11 PM
Mine works, but I gotta say, the frustrations with it definitley are making me look towards the options that Ron is. I'd rather have it work easily and with less effort than saving the money. Once this one bites the dust (I figure in a month or so it will grenade itself) I will aim for a real camera setup. I do love seeing the journey on my bare layout, but not at the price of being ticked off half the time.

~Sean

REM37411
29th Jun 2010, 09:39 AM
I got mine to work!!! I took several laps around my layout with it and downloaded it! I was going to upload it to YouTube........and it won't upload! It says it is not valid because it is AVI? I'm lost! Any ideas??

NscaleTrainMan
29th Jun 2010, 09:14 PM
you need a free convertor from the internet, always scan for viruses first

Sherman
29th Jun 2010, 09:49 PM
If you are using Windows you can use Windows Live Movie Maker (free). You can add titles, captions, credits, music, whatever you want and it has a YouTube uploader built in.

--Sherman

NscaleTrainMan
30th Jun 2010, 01:30 AM
they said they will send me another spy camera and apologized for the trouble

BryanC (RIP)
30th Jun 2010, 08:52 AM
If you are using Windows you can use Windows Live Movie Maker (free). You can add titles, captions, credits, music, whatever you want and it has a YouTube uploader built in.

--ShermanNote that Windows Live Movie Maker will only work with Vista and Windows 7. If you have XP you are stuck with Windows Movie Maker which you can find in the Accessories folder. It does not include the YouTube capability.

Sherman
30th Jun 2010, 09:51 AM
Note that Windows Live Movie Maker will only work with Vista and Windows 7. If you have XP you are stuck with Windows Movie Maker which you can find in the Accessories folder. It does not include the YouTube capability.

Good point Bryan! The Windows Live suite was designed for the new OS's.

Movie Maker does have some export and resizing capabilities so it is still possible to put it in a format that YouTube will accept but you'll have to upload it the "old fashioned" way, via YouTube.

--Sherman

--Sherman

seanm
30th Jun 2010, 11:19 AM
Nice thing bout Live, the output to YouTube is only a button click away.

TwinDad
1st Jul 2010, 03:43 PM
Nice thing bout Live, the output to YouTube is only a button click away.

iMovie has direct YouTube publish as well, but I'm not too fond of its speed. Good excuse for a new iMac... :D

REM37411
1st Jul 2010, 04:06 PM
So if I am using movie maker to change the format on a movie how do I go about it? I have my spy cam working fairly well now for some reason, but cannot post to YouTube because off the format!

absnut
6th Jul 2010, 03:17 PM
OK, you gents who bought one of these.... mine is at hand and I have (rather than re-invent the wheel) a question or two. When you use the camers (e.g., put it on a flat car), whech way is "up" in relation to the shape of the device? ... flat or standing on its short sides? How long did it take to re-charge? When you have recorded a vid, does it automatically erase when you re-record (record over)??? Inquiring minds need to know...

REM37411
6th Jul 2010, 03:30 PM
I had to experiment with mine and I found that the bottom was the side with the decal or sticker on it(after seeing my layout upside down I found that out.......lol) Mine took about two hours to charge hooked up to my computer. As far as recording over itself, I don't think it will, I think you have to erase it manually, at least do, just to be safe. I can't wait to see your video, the only problem I have now is trying to convert from AVI to MOV.

absnut
6th Jul 2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks, Ron. I appreciate the quick reply. It's charging now and I'm anxious to see what can be done with it. For less than $20 total, I figure I can't go too far wrong.

I use Windows Movie Maker when I make vids with my Sony Cyber Shot. Movie Maker may automatically put the vids in the correct format for Youtube.

absnut
6th Jul 2010, 09:41 PM
OK, Ron, what's the secret to getting this thing to work?????

REM37411
6th Jul 2010, 09:51 PM
LOL!!

I got very frustrated with mine. Here is how I got it to work. At one point the light stayed on and it would not do anything...no matter what I did. So, I decided to let it run the battery down.....it took a day or so to do. Once I checked it and the light was out...I plugged it up to the computer. I let it stay plugged up, again, until the light went back out. (The light comes on when charging and when it goes out it is supposed to indicate a full charge from what I gather) Once it did that, I just pressed the button for about 4 seconds. The light came on.....I pressed it again and help it for about 2 seconds. The light started blinking. That indicates recording. I hate to say this, but when I was ready to give up....it just started working. In fact, it worked so well that I video taped the inside of my pocket for 5 minutes......LOL..........Oh, I also went through my charging process with NO MINISD card in.

absnut
6th Jul 2010, 09:59 PM
OK, I'll try it again. The major problem I'm having is interpreting the directions which I am sure were written by a 16 yr old first year English student with a Chinese-English dictionary in one hand while he/she typed! LOL I keep looking for the "blue" light (it's actually green I think) but it doesn't stay on. Reading the "directions" led me to believe if the light was blinking, it was on "picture" mode. I'll try it again in a few minutes. Apparently, or at least I think, I am turning it off before I put it on my flat car. Thanks for responding... you can ignore the panicky PM, too! LOL

Sherman
6th Jul 2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah this thing has 3 modes. First is "spy cam mode". Press the button for 4 seconds and it goes into this mode. In this mode if ambient sound goes above 65dB it starts recording for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes it stops recording until the ambient sound goes above 65dB again. While in spy cam mode if you press the button it takes still shots. While in spy cam mode if you press the button for about 2-3 seconds it goes into regular video record mode and records until you press the button for 4 seconds again.

At least that is what mine does.

--Sherman

REM37411
6th Jul 2010, 10:08 PM
I found that mine will actually blink when in "record video" mode. About one second on and one off intervals.

absnut
6th Jul 2010, 10:45 PM
Ron, mine is, apparently, not exactly the same as yours. No card but has 8 gb built in. I charged it for over 3 hrs. Directions say when the red light stops blinking and goes solid red, it is charged. I followed your derections (after mine failed) and all I got was 8 blank frames ... no picture or video could be found. I'm almost ready to throw in the towel! LOL Do you AIM, Facebook, or Skype?

REM37411
6th Jul 2010, 10:52 PM
No sir, I don't use any of those services. Mine has to have a mini SD card added, it has no internal memoery......is yours a cigarette lighter? Mine is definately different than yours I guess. I have no doubt it came out of the same town as yours though....lol. I have to hit the hay as I gotta get up at 445 . I hope you have luck. If not Sherman sounds like he is having good luck with his?

absnut
6th Jul 2010, 10:54 PM
Yes, cigaret lighter. Have a good night and thanks.

absnut
21st Jul 2010, 03:52 PM
OK, I ordered another one.... one that I can use my unnecessarily purchased TF card with and one like everyone else seems to have. It arrived today and I was actually able to take a short video with it but.... there seems to be a learning curve involved here so, I'll have to do some hands-on study for a while. The first video (which will never be shown publically! :p) shows I have some tidying up to do on the layout that I just never noticed! :eek: However, I am encouraged by the fact this one works as it's supposed to do! :D

seanm
21st Jul 2010, 04:42 PM
I am pretty sure your experience with seeing things that need to be tidied is the MAIN reason I won;t get one of these. I have too many projects to get sidetracked by what I would surely see if I did this.

absnut
21st Jul 2010, 04:48 PM
Sean, where's your spirit of adventure? LOL >:-} I have a lot of unfinished areas but they don't bother me as much as the layed over fence:o, or the loco on the roof of the roundhouse:eek:, or the Rix pic laying beside the tracks..... these things I will tidy up before the next "filming"! ;):D

REM37411
21st Jul 2010, 04:50 PM
I am very happy you finally got it working Dick! Unfortunately one of my girlfriends kids thought mine was a real lighter and tried to light it! Trying to light cigarette with delicate equipment=BAD. I did however email the company I got it from and they said they would be happy to replace it! Very cool!!

Oh and the whole mess thing? WHO CARES! Every damn one of us makes a mess!......LOL!