PDA

View Full Version : Spy video SUCCESS!! a lap around MY layout!

REM37411
9th Jul 2010, 05:28 PM
I finally got my camera to tape AND to upload to youtube! Thank you Bryan for the direction.....and you are right...it IS very simple.....once you know how.

Please! TURN DOWN YOUR VOLUME! or you may regret it....lol

The first lap is one of the inner mains. I had a turnout switched the wrong way and the camera fell over at first. You will just have to suffer through that part! Sorry!

Oh, and disregard the giant working and the oversized landscape materials.....I got it working and had to take what I could get!

fj7QVW08TZs

Jazzbass01
9th Jul 2010, 07:04 PM
Your layout is really coming along! That's a nice long run!!

Sorry, I had to laugh when the camera fell off.. LOL

16marvigj
9th Jul 2010, 07:15 PM
When my layout is at your stage, I will have to give you guys a tour of mine. I am doing mine in halfs, and I am about a 1/4 way through my first half and the more rural half. The other half is more industrial and more complex. I have not figured out XTRACKCAD, so I am working off my own drawings. If anyone wants to do my XTRACKCAD plan, be my guest. I have to say my layout will be so much smaller, 6X4

Nice job!!!!

Sherman
9th Jul 2010, 07:28 PM
Nice video! I really like the tunnel part.

--Sherman

bicknell
9th Jul 2010, 08:13 PM
Cool video.

PikesPeakMtnMan
10th Jul 2010, 02:45 AM
Very cool video....I don't have much more to add except that it does give me inspiration to start really getting mine done!!

Diggr
10th Jul 2010, 04:29 AM
Cool video. Would you be willing to post a still pic of the camera on it's car? I'm kind of wondering how difficult it would be to get the camera to pan from side to side by following the truck at the front of the car.

epumph
10th Jul 2010, 10:11 AM
Nice job. Looks like a very interesting layout.

Sherman
10th Jul 2010, 09:51 PM
Cool video. Would you be willing to post a still pic of the camera on it's car? I'm kind of wondering how difficult it would be to get the camera to pan from side to side by following the truck at the front of the car.

We had some discussion about that exact thing in another thread here- http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?18301-First-cab-s-eye-view-lap-around-the-layout./page2.

I still don't have the necessary tubes but I do intend to give it a try at some point.

--Sherman

TwinDad
10th Jul 2010, 10:04 PM
Very nice, Ron. I really liked your layout plan, but now that I've seen it from the Engineer's view, I REALLY like it. It has a very realistic "feel" to it, in terms of what you'd think it *should* look like. Of course, the narrowed perspective of the spycam helps in this regard, because you can only see what's right in front of you. Just like you would see on the real thing.

I gotta get me one of those!

REM37411
10th Jul 2010, 11:52 PM
I do have a short video of a loco pushing the new camera car (for the original video I used an empty caol car and taped it to the top) the revision is a flat car with the camera velcroed to the top of it. I have not tried to video with it yet but I will upload the video when I can to show what my concept is.

The biggest thing I learned watching the video is where I have track issues. Not that the trains will nto run, but I can see the areas where the track is not as straight as I thought or a curve transition is not good. I am going to go back and rip some track up and fix that. I think the cabs eye perspective is great for that!

MooseID
11th Jul 2010, 02:08 PM
REM', you beat me to it.

That camera angle really shows the anomalies in the track work.

You may have some built in clandestant derailments at the places you mentioned.

Near the beginning of the video you also have a noticeable dip in the track between a pair of turnouts.

That looked like a derailment at the end of the video.

REM37411
11th Jul 2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I did booby trap myself in quite a few places. Thederailment at the end was caused by exactly the same thing as the first one, I forgot to switch my turnout back.......oops! I see a LOT of trackwork to be repaired! When I look at it from a stand up perspective it looks ok. But that worms eye view sure makes a difference. The funny thing is I do want some abnormal dips and humps because proto trains are not perfectly level......I just didn't know I was building them in....lol!

stevegates
12th Jul 2010, 05:11 AM
Nice video... I like it