PDA

View Full Version : New Bus Terminal for Middletown

musicman
25th Jan 2011, 01:34 PM
Now that I actually have a plan for the new bus terminal, I am moving this over to here to this new thread. The old thread was here: http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?20376-Bus-Terminal-Plan-HELP-Please!

I spent the afternoon and evening yesterday sketching ideas.
First thing I did was crop the hill. Two photos ... before and after cropping the foam ...

11589 11590

And ... given the new space back in that corner ... the first draft plan for the terminal ...

The edge of the canopy is a wrap that blends into the building all the way around. It is an art-deco sort of building - typical of the era I am modelling. It may get a little tweaking but essentially this is what will be built. I'm thinking the crew over at the train station are getting just a little jealous!

The "T" circled indicates the ticket wicket. I think I may either bring the roof of the right end portion down just a little or else I may raise the roof on the left for beter balance between the two. More likely the latter. My main objective is to keep the height on the right so that it hides the wood layout perimeter. At this height it is just about perfect.

epumph
25th Jan 2011, 04:51 PM
OK so I was right you are the man when it comes to design ideas out of the blue! :idea:
Don't be modest I really mean it.

Newbie51
25th Jan 2011, 06:01 PM
MM, A much Grander station then I was thinking but I like it with the cafe, can I get a bite while waiting for my bus? This should be any interesting thread where I can learn a little bit more about modeling I mean you were in construction I believe so you can probably speak of your project in layman's terms so even I can understand what your saying:confused:

Pete

PS are you going to have those little pay-TV's too so I can watch a program while I wait?

musicman
25th Jan 2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks, guys!

Before I was a builder I was a designer. I got interested in actually building because of my exposure to the trade when I was still drafting home plans. I can still bang out a decent plan for something pretty quickly and make it believable. :cool:

Pay TV? We never had those around here. In recent times the TVs are in all the terminals, hospital waiting rooms, etc but they are free and always on ... with the remote controls hanging on a little chain so anyone who is really interested can change channels. Not likely going to have those because they really didn't exist in the era I am modelling.

Newbie51
25th Jan 2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks, guys!
Pay TV? We never had those around here. In recent times the TVs are in all the terminals, hospital waiting rooms, etc but they are free and always on ... with the remote controls hanging on a little chain so anyone who is really interested can change channels. Not likely going to have those because they really didn't exist in the era I am modelling.

Yea MM back in my Navy days I remember those tiny little tv's that you slid in your change to watch a little television at the greyhound and I think it may have been the trailways terminals kinda brought you closer to home somehow or a more normal life something like that. Now with a diner and Free TV I am definetly going to have to use that bus station it sounds great:)
f

Jimmi (RIP)
26th Jan 2011, 01:38 AM
Proud of you Dave. I knew you'd come up with something cool. Great plan and of course, given your era, it almost has to be somewhat art deco.

musicman
26th Jan 2011, 10:06 AM
Thank you, Jimmi! I appreciate your ideas and you feedback.

dannyrandomstate
15th May 2011, 07:36 PM
Great idea for the station!

I'm curious about the transfer that is on the left side of the pic. Was this a kit or scratch built?

musicman
15th May 2011, 10:31 PM
I am not sure what you mean by the "transfer". I am guessing you mean the sector plate. If so, it is a scratch-build and you can read all about it here ...

http://davidchiasson.ca/park/railroad/sector.html

And you can see more of both the bus terminal and sector plate here ...

http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?20840-Jimmi-s-Taxi&highlight=jimmi%27s+taxi

rcns
16th May 2011, 02:44 PM
Cool. Your design (and link to pics) looks very appropriate to the era and does fit in with a lot of Nova Scotia's older terminal buildings. I hope your bus models are Acadian/Acadien Lines :)

musicman
16th May 2011, 06:24 PM
Well, we have an old Bedford OB doing tours, Some "old look" busses doing local service, and Acadian Lines heading for Halifax. I also have some "new look" busses on the way - Middletown colors.

BryanC (RIP)
16th May 2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah! That I love!

Jazzbass01
16th May 2011, 08:38 PM
Custom painted buses!! Cool! Can't wait to see them!!

dannyrandomstate
20th May 2011, 05:26 PM
I am not sure what you mean by the "transfer". I am guessing you mean the sector plate.

Yes! That is awesome. I have never seen such a thing. I'm guessing the length could be altered (within reason) to accept say from a simple switcher to a engine and a car or two? I'll read more about it on the link you gave I already have it in the favorites!

BryanC (RIP)
20th May 2011, 05:48 PM
Yes! That is awesome. I have never seen such a thing. I'm guessing the length could be altered (within reason) to accept say from a simple switcher to a engine and a car or two? I'll read more about it on the link you gave I already have it in the favorites!
Danny, check these links:

http://www.carendt.com/microplans/pages/shelf/sectorplate/index.html
http://carendt.com/articles/FAQs/traversers.html

dannyrandomstate
20th May 2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks Bryan!

Now back to regularly scheduled postings! ;)