PDA

View Full Version : Files lost in Transfer- HELP!

16marvigj
19th Mar 2011, 06:58 PM
I was trying to transfer a bunch of photos from memory cards, to a disk. I burned them on. Some will work, but most won't, and when I open them, they say the file type is not supported.

-What went Wrong?
-How Do I fix it?

Chessack
19th Mar 2011, 07:47 PM
Check your settings in your camera. Some digital cameras come pre-set to use RAW configuration, which is the highest/best resolution, but can only be viewed with a RAW-viewer. Of course most cameras give you the software for the viewer, too, but not all do. You can buy third-party programs like Adobe Camera RAW to view them, but in most cases it's easier to just set your camera to a lower res option like 'high quality JPEG'. This will produce perfectly acceptable images if you're going to do things like make 4x6 or 3x5 prints, or even 8x10s. If you want to make huge blow-ups like posters, you may see some image imperfections, but most people don't do that.

Now as for the RAW images you have but can't see right now... you will need to convert somehow. I would start by seeing if there is any software that came with your camera or available on the mfgrs website to do the conversion for you. Very few companies will leave you high and dry with stuff like that. Their converter won't be as feature-rich as Adobe CameraRAW, but it will probably do what you need.

C

16marvigj
19th Mar 2011, 07:52 PM
Well, it came off a $1000 camera, so there is software. I was taking them OFF the card, and putting them ON a disk.

TwinDad
19th Mar 2011, 07:59 PM
Yeah... So if they were stored RAWon the card, they'll still be RAW on the disk. A RAW converter will allow you to convert them to JPG or something

Google "UFRaw" it's a free tool than can be used alone or with GIMP to convert and process RAW images.

Chessack
19th Mar 2011, 08:46 PM
You haven't lost your images. If you use Windows Explorer and enable file extensions, you will see that the files are there and have some other extension than .jpg. For my Nikon the extension is .NEF... not sure what it would be for other cameras.

All you need to do is open your camera's conversion software (for Nikon it's ViewNX), and tell it to convert the RAW file to JPG. You'll still retain the original image, but a copy will be made in a format readable by other programs.

C

16marvigj
19th Mar 2011, 09:10 PM
Well, there's my project for tomorrow!

ibm650
4th Oct 2011, 12:58 AM
The advantage of raw images is that you can reprocess them to change things like white balance, this could be quite important with model photography.

pbender
4th Oct 2011, 09:49 AM
The advantage of raw images is that you can reprocess them to change things like white balance, this could be quite important with model photography.

You can do all that with JPEG as well, but JPEG is lossy compression. This means every time you manipulate an image and save it as a JPEG, you loose some information from the image. RAW images ( and there is more than one kind of RAW image ) is either uncompressed or compressed using a lossless compression algorithm.

When my wife and i got married, I was amazed at the number of professional photographers who don't understand this. I actually refused to use a photographer who answered no to the "Do you use RAW?" question.

Paul