PDA

View Full Version : GG-1 Details

TVRR
26th Mar 2011, 06:22 PM
While installing decoders in my 2 GG-1's today I noticed what I thought was a crack or piece of scrap flashing on a drivers window. On closer inspection all the forward/rear windows have detailed little wipers. What else haven't i noticed yet?:rolleyes:

NY Central
2nd Sep 2011, 12:38 PM
I love the detail in the GG1... fantastic loco.

The prototype is located at the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum. I think Kato nailed it. I would love to find a detail kit for it to add some of the missing hand rails seen on the prototype...

Arved
2nd Sep 2011, 12:45 PM
Wow! I didn't know the GG1 had metalic paint! Learn something new every day, I guess. That must be the most expensive paint ever used on a locomotive.

- Arved

NY Central
2nd Sep 2011, 04:50 PM
Arved, you realize the bottom 3 pictures are the actual locomotive, right? LOL. Cool that it's the same number though!

The paint isn't really metallic, most of what you are seeing there is color noise from taking the pics in a low light environment with a sub-par camera.

Arved
3rd Sep 2011, 01:35 PM
I new it was the prototype, but I have to LOL - never saw noise improve a photo!
- Arved

NY Central
4th Sep 2011, 04:19 PM
Ha! Yeah.. one of these days I want to go back with my newer camera and get some nicer shots.... :)

Herc Driver
4th Sep 2011, 06:25 PM
I just wished Kato would have not placed the rock bars over the windows on an otherwise superb model. I'd like to think my layout has LPP's that wouldn't throw rocks at the cabs.

NY Central
4th Sep 2011, 06:59 PM
Well based on the 4935 prototype, which has those bars over the windows... it's accurate.

Herc Driver
4th Sep 2011, 09:18 PM
NY Central - very good point...but I had hoped they could have been add-ons that the modeler could choose to place if wanted. Though, that would be asking a lot of Kato and there's probably not many people who would want them removed. Still, it's a great model, really well done and runs my layout well.

NY Central
5th Sep 2011, 10:57 AM
The one argument I do have about those bars is that they are too thick...

eric220
6th Sep 2011, 01:01 AM
NY Central - Based on your handle, I will forgive the inaccuracies. 4800, "Old Rivets" was the prototype GG1. It is also on display at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. 4935, "Black Jack" was actually one of the last production GG1's built. She was refurbished in the late 70's, thanks to a push by railfans to have a GG1 restored to PRR pinstripe paint. A nonprofit raised the money, and AMTRAK used it to refurbish and repaint 4935. 4935 ended her career with AMTRAK in the paint scheme that she still wears today. Kato used the number because 4935 is probably the best preserved GG1.

NY Central
6th Sep 2011, 08:53 AM
I use the word "prototype" to mean the locomotive that the Kato model is based on, not the actual GG1 prototype.

eric220
6th Sep 2011, 05:27 PM
Ah, gotcha. Still, I just can't resist the opportunity to needle an NYC'er. :D

NY Central
9th Sep 2011, 08:29 AM
HAHA... didn't realize model railroading was so full of rivalries lol >:-}

ibm650
1st Oct 2011, 02:06 PM
While installing decoders in my 2 GG-1's today I noticed what I thought was a crack or piece of scrap flashing on a drivers window. On closer inspection all the forward/rear windows have detailed little wipers. What else haven't i noticed yet?:rolleyes:

Sound is almost not there , very soft.

ChicagoNW
2nd Oct 2011, 12:08 AM
Remember the GG1 is an electric locomotive o it will lack the diesel rumble. There is a software fix on the MRC website and at the MRC Yahoo Group to make the sounds louder.

jlaboda (RIP)
2nd Oct 2011, 10:05 AM
"Wow! I didn't know the GG1 had metalic paint!"

The same was true of N&W passenger GP9s when built, and on the lightweight passenger cars, likely the result of PRR's influence (control) of the line.

ibm650
4th Oct 2011, 12:23 AM
Remember the GG1 is an electric locomotive o it will lack the diesel rumble. There is a software fix on the MRC website and at the MRC Yahoo Group to make the sounds louder.
I looked and could not find the fixes, could you be so kind as to give me a link. I tried to PM but I do not have enough posts.

ChicagoNW
4th Oct 2011, 12:43 AM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MRC-DCC/

As of 10-2-11 12:30 AM they are down for maintenance- Try later

You'll have to join the group to access the file.

You could try an email to the MRC service guys.

ibm650
4th Oct 2011, 03:12 PM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MRC-DCC/

As of 10-2-11 12:30 AM they are down for maintenance- Try later

You'll have to join the group to access the file.

You could try an email to the MRC service guys.

I called them, so far their advice is to put a bigger speaker, but it requires real work to fit.

ChicagoNW
4th Oct 2011, 06:11 PM
I guess I was wrong about the software. Here are the hardware mods.