PDA

View Full Version : Build an inexpensive paint booth

69Z28
29th Mar 2011, 12:45 AM
Paint booths are expensive 200 to 600 dollars. Even some of the build it your self projects can run into 100 dollars. Also you made need some skills (electrical) or tools (saws) you don't have and just be a PITA to build.

I just ran across a DIY paint booth for a cost of about 56 dollars (English Pounds). It looks easy to build using a see through plastic storage box. Well let give you the link. It has excellent instruction and a bunch of pictures showing the parts needed and the build process.

You may want to Check it out and see what you think. Here's the link;

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article.asp?a=3661#

It looks so easy that a no thumbs like me might be able to build it.

See ya
Ron

BryanC (RIP)
29th Mar 2011, 08:14 AM
Ron, is this a candidate for the Links Directory?

TwinDad
29th Mar 2011, 08:21 AM
It should probably be obvious from context, but for those who don't speak the King's English, "2 or 3-core flex" is 2- or 3-conductor household wiring... the flexible (stranded) sort used for appliance cords, not the solid-core stuff used for in-wall installation.

Nice how-to there. Took me just a minute to figure out how to get the other pictures to show, but very good. I suppose a piece of plastic or wood fitting to allow the exhaust hose to be vented out a window while closing off the rest of the open window would be a nice finishing touch...

pbender
29th Mar 2011, 08:51 AM
if you build this, be sure to make note of the warning at the bottom of the page.

The fan used in the article is NOT appropriate for a spray booth because it will spark. You actually should use a fan where the motor does not sit inside the air stream. (We don't want anyone to blow themselves up....)

Paul

epumph
29th Mar 2011, 09:38 AM
a good but more expensive fan is one for bilge blowers on boats. they are explosion proof.
Here is a cheap one:
http://www.amazon.com/SeaChoice-4-Line-Bilge-Blower/dp/B000N9O7NO
Here is an explanation of use on a gasoline powered boat so if it will safely remove gasoline vapors it should work fine for a spray booth:
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/bilgblo.htm

aroc
29th Mar 2011, 10:12 AM
It's interesting you brought this up. I have been gathering "stuff" to build a homemade spray booth. There was a thread from a few months ago I ran across again to inspire me. The fan is probably the most expensive part of the whole project but I am fortunate enough to work at a grocery store where old cooler fans abound. I just need to wire them correctly with some help from an electrician friend of mine and put the rest in place.

I would really like to see if anyone has made any of these. I'm sure there are members out there that would like to see them.

When I get done with my mountain I am going to attempt to build one.

Thanks for sharing this.

seanm
29th Mar 2011, 10:23 AM
Gene! That is an excellent idea!! That is the biggest falling down point in all fo the home made spray booths is the blower. Sparking is usually not a huge issue but the squirrel cage blowers are fairly expensive. The bilge blower is a great additional piece of info... and inexpensive too!

69Z28
29th Mar 2011, 11:52 AM
We can add it to the links directory. I'll do it sometime today.
And thanks for the additional comments.
See ya
Ron

69Z28
30th Mar 2011, 08:27 AM
BryanC, added link, awaiting approval.
See ya
Ron

BryanC (RIP)
30th Mar 2011, 08:30 AM
Approved and added!

nmanic
31st Mar 2011, 04:21 AM
I've seen the tote box booths,but I wonder how well they will hold up ? I'm sure it weights alot less then mine,big plus is they let in a massive amount of light !!

L:cool:

nmanic
31st Mar 2011, 04:27 AM
Ok just got back from looking at the posted link,now I'm WORRIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!! great build but god man this guy isn't even using a filter system !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,if you ask me that is looking for trouble at least i'm running a double filter before the fan posting the link to my build to refresh being that we'er on the subject.

L:innocent:

http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?16508-D.I.Y-spraybooth

aroc
31st Mar 2011, 10:10 AM
nmanica,

Your original thread is what inspired me to build one. As I stated earlier I am going to try to follow your example as best I can....it looks like it works great. I will post my progress when I get started in a couple of weeks.

nmanic
31st Mar 2011, 11:46 AM
Thank you very much, make sure you check out Wiz's build as I posted picture's of mine after it was build ! Wiz posted pictures as ge was building it. But be warned and please read the disclaimer !
L:cool:

Sora Rail
5th Apr 2011, 02:30 AM
Ok just got back from looking at the posted link,now I'm WORRIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!! great build but god man this guy isn't even using a filter system !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,if you ask me that is looking for trouble at least i'm running a double filter before the fan posting the link to my build to refresh being that we'er on the subject.

http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?16508-D.I.Y-spraybooth

nmanica,

Could you re-post the photos that you attached to that thread? I confess that I am not able to use any form of spray paint myself, but I think that this would be of great interest to a friend of mine!

69Z28
5th Apr 2011, 06:49 AM
BTW: In his commentary he does suggest adding a filter as well as warning about sparking. Which he claims is a low level risk with a light use model spray paint booth.

If I build this I would add a multi stage filtering system. And see about upgrading the blower motor. These changes may then send the build costs higher and out of the inexpensive range. Which defeats the purpose of the "inexpensive Paint Booth."

See ya
Ron

nmanic
11th Apr 2011, 07:16 AM
nmanica,

Could you re-post the photos that you attached to that thread? I confess that I am not able to use any form of spray paint myself, but I think that this would be of great interest to a friend of mine!

Hi, you'll need to go to photobucket to view the pictures as I am no longer a member of this group.look for nmaniac