PDA

View Full Version : DCC Track Feeders 101 by Eric G Hall

69Z28
15th Aug 2011, 12:14 PM
I really liked this Video. It is very informative for us folks who have little or no knowledge of soldering and soldering wires.
It's by Eric G Hall of http://imrro.com/ It looks to be a "How To" fourum site.

Hope it provides some good information.

See ya
Ron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azZYYo6Sk94&feature=related

baronjutter
15th Aug 2011, 02:38 PM
How come he needs to add wires to every track? Shouldn't the power travel through all the rails in the system? I only have 1 feeder for my entire layout, or does DCC require more for some reason?

TwinDad
15th Aug 2011, 02:40 PM
How come he needs to add wires to every track? Shouldn't the power travel through all the rails in the system? I only have 1 feeder for my entire layout, or does DCC require more for some reason?

Having feeders soldered to every track segments means you are not relying on the rail joiners to pass power/signal from one segment to the next. Rail joiners have been known to not be the most reliable of electrical connections over time, as they tend to loosen up over time, wear, and tear.

JohnMD
15th Aug 2011, 02:45 PM
Feeders are like $$ the more you have the better :)

Screwjack
4th Jan 2012, 05:48 PM
I am new here and just wanted to add for what it's worth, that video is excellent! Especially for a beginner like me. The only thing missing is what to do under the bench with all the hanging wires. :D

The video is excellent though...

Davejb
4th Jan 2012, 07:44 PM
There are many ways to drop feeders, depending on the track you use this method may or may not work well (there are better options for Kato for example), but relying on rail joiners for power on a permanent layout isn't a good idea.

videobruce
27th May 2012, 10:31 AM
I wonder if he couldn't use a larger soldering iron?? :rolleyes:
Sheesh!

I pre-soldered each section of flex track before I laid it. I also used resistance soldering. Not all track is close to the edge of a layout.

salexis123
17th Jun 2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks for posting!. I like the idea of having the boxcar painted with 2 sides to keep the polarity straight. I will definitely use this when I am dropping feeders.

Steve