PDA

View Full Version : I scratched up my camera lens

Sleeper
8th Sep 2011, 08:39 AM
I had my camera open on the seat wile driving down a 7 mile rough bumpy road. I had a couple o other items on the seat and one of them must have been rubbing on the lens. I donít know if I should try to have this fixed or just buy another one.

Is a Canon A639 PowerShot and its always been the best camera Iíve ever had.

What do you think, is there a good replacement in the same price range? I have to have a camera that fits in my shirt pocket.

SANDBOX1
8th Sep 2011, 10:03 AM
I had my camera open on the seat wile driving down a 7 mile rough bumpy road. I had a couple o other items on the seat and one of them must have been rubbing on the lens. I donít know if I should try to have this fixed or just buy another one.

Is a Canon A639 PowerShot and its always been the best camera Iíve ever had.

What do you think, is there a good replacement in the same price range? I have to have a camera that fits in my shirt pocket.
I have been using an Olympus Fe-5020 for almost 4 years for work here and it takes very good pics and vids. Less than $150 with memory card when I bought it new. My wife just bought herself an Olympus like it this year and threw her Kodak in the trash, lol.

Backlash
8th Sep 2011, 10:53 AM
How old is the Cannon A639 Powershot Camera???

I googled it to see if I could get its specs, but got nothing specific on it..

Over the years, I have had a few different digital cameras..

The best every day, carry it everywhere, leave it in the car camera I've had is the Samsung range that are priced from $80-$100 AUD.. The focus speed is quite fast, the photo quality is very good... The last one of these I bought was 14 megapixels.. The only problem that Ive had with my latest model is that there is only 2 options for the flash, Auto and off.. This is a real PITA if the area you are shooting is poorly lit, but not quite enough to get the auto flash to operate..

At one stage I had a Cannon A480 Powershot, but abandoned it as it took too long to focus before taking a photo, and even then more often than not, the photo was slightly out of focus.. It also didnt like being used with rechargeable NiMh batteries, only allowing 20 or so photos before showing flat battery, even if it was on the NiMh setting.. (I'm guessing that it was either faulty, or just a dud..)

Personally, I wouldnt take an Olympus camera if you gave it to me.. The time taken for the (older) Olympus cameras to focus is way too long, so you can forget about taking photos of moving objects.. Maybe the newer models are better..

Cheers

Arved
8th Sep 2011, 11:03 AM
Contact Canon anyway. My wife had a long out of warrenty A90 that died. I called Canon to see if it was worth repairing. They sent a new one.

I have to admit - I'm a long term Nikon user, and shoot with Nikon cameras professionally. Canon sure treated us well! If it didn't cost me > $10K to replace my Nikon equipment with the equivalent Canon equipment, I think I would.

Canon really stands behind thier products. Give them a call. Sounds like you have nothing to lose, and you just may be surprised what they do to keep your loyalty.

Warmest regards,
- Arved

Sherman
8th Sep 2011, 03:27 PM
Have you used it since you discovered the scratch(es)? Surprisingly many lens imperfections have no visible effect on the final image. It is also likely that the scratches are in the coating layer and not in the glass increasing the chances of it still being usable. However, as Arved said I would go ahead and contact Canon, they really do take customer service seriously.

--Sherman

Sleeper
8th Sep 2011, 07:51 PM
Sorry I had to run off to work immediately after posting this.

Iím just not looking forward to researching another camera. I spent a month last December looking for a movie camera and after I bought it I discovered that I take better movies with my Canon.

I have had no problems focusing. If Iím taking flash photos and the batteries are low it does take a while to flash, but not if they are fully charged.

I canít remember how long Iíve had this camera. Itís been maybe 5 or more years since I bought it. it really has been a great camera and most of the time I donít use the flash.

The only real problem is that the plug on USB adapter cord doesnít work. Itís not the cord because my daughter uses it all the time to charge up her phone. I have to pull the memory card out and plug it into the computer. Itís kind of a hassle and Iíve done it so many times that Iíve worn out a couple of memory cards.

Here is a recent photo of the scratch.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh176/SleeperN06/IMG_3153.jpg

You can see the flaw on the right side.

epumph
8th Sep 2011, 07:54 PM
hmm...yep. I would follow the advice of the others and try contacting Canon. Can't hurt.

Sleeper
8th Sep 2011, 08:11 PM
hmm...yep. I would follow the advice of the others and try contacting Canon. Can't hurt.Thanks, maybe I will try that. I'll even pay them if it's not more than a new camera.

Sherman
8th Sep 2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks, maybe I will try that. I'll even pay them if it's not more than a new camera.

I kow how you feel. I own a lot of cameras (professional, shooting mostly architecture and interiors) but I have an old Canon A590 point and shoot that I love. It fits in my shirt pocket, takes nice sharp photos and runs on regular AA batteries. Most of the layout photos I've uploaded here were taken with it. I'd hate to have to try and replace it.

--Sherman

Sleeper
8th Sep 2011, 08:35 PM
The AA batteries is a big one. My last camera had a little square Battery and I had to buy a couple of them just to carry with me. At least with the AA, I can pick up them at a Gas Station in a hurry. Actually I take a lot of photos and these AA rechargeable last a very long time.

Sleeper
8th Sep 2011, 10:45 PM
I think I’m going to have to buy a new camera anyway because I don’t know what I’m going to do while my Canon is being fixed. So I got to figure out what I’m going to buy.

My friend has an SLR and he takes the most fantastic photos with it, but the SLR reminds me of some bad memories from before digital.

Many years ago, I thought I wanted to be a professional photographer and signed up for classes. I spent thousands of dollars on equipment from a Minolta Camera, telephoto & wide angel lenses, boxes of filters and a complete dark room. Every weekend we were given a homework assignment of taking photos based on the “theme of the week” and we would develop and enlarge them to an 8x11 photo to turn in for a grade on Monday.

My best friend wanted to tag along and take some photos of his own with his little Kodak Instamatic Camera. I just thought that was the funniest thing until I developed and started enlarging our photos. I could not believe my eyes. My photos were perfect exposure and focus, but his, well his were fantastic even though they were poor quality. They were interesting and mine were boring.

My instructors were always telling me how good my photos were and I suddenly realized that maybe they weren’t so I turned in my friends photos as mine and everybody went crazy over them saying that except for the quality they were the best photos in the class and put them up on the board. They told me that all I had to do was work on the technical side and I would be a famous photographer one day.

I knew at that moment that I was never going to be a photographer until I learned how to take a photo with a cheap camera, so I quit. I figured that as long as I was giving them money they would say what I needed to hear to keep me giving them money.

I never really could take a great photo, but at least with my little digital I can delete all that is bad. :D

Sherman
9th Sep 2011, 10:26 AM
In the end it isn't the tools, its the person using the tools.

A successful, well known photographer was attending a party when he was
introduced to a famous writer. The writer said to him "I've seen some of your
photographs. They are very good, you must have a nice camera."

To which the photographer replied "Thank you. I've read a couple of your
books. They are very good, you must have a nice typewriter.

--Sherman

epumph
9th Sep 2011, 10:41 AM
BryanC has a thread on his Fuji Film 2500 or something on here. Might give it a search and read thru. he posted pics using the camera. It is about half the price of a Canon or Nikon. FWIW,

Sleeper
9th Sep 2011, 10:46 AM
In the end it isn't the tools, its the person using the tools.

A successful, well known photographer was attending a party when he was
introduced to a famous writer. The writer said to him "I've seen some of your
photographs. They are very good, you must have a nice camera."

To which the photographer replied "Thank you. I've read a couple of your
books. They are very good, you must have a nice typewriter.

--ShermanOh that's very good, I will have to remember this! :smile:

epumph
9th Sep 2011, 10:47 AM
here is the link:http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?19751-The-Fujifilm-S2500HD-Camera

BryanC (RIP)
9th Sep 2011, 11:23 AM
here is the link:http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?19751-The-Fujifilm-S2500HD-CameraA little previously to that thread I had a thread where I discussed the selection process I went through before choosing the Fuji - which I still love, BTW! It may prove beneficial for you the give it a glance or two.

http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?19420-Recommendations-for-a-non-SLR-Digital-Camera-Please!

(http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?19420-Recommendations-for-a-non-SLR-Digital-Camera-Please!)

Sleeper
9th Sep 2011, 11:56 AM
I just went on the BestBuy web site to see if they had anything cheap and on sale. I Found a Canon - PowerShot A1200 for $98, but when I looked at the photo I realized it does not have the flip back that opens up.

I’ve been taking my camera to work with me because I’m been missing so many great shots and I need something that will withstand abuse. My camera now is so scratched up from bouncing around on dirt roads that it looks like a toy.

Not only do I take photos of trains but I missed one of a bear with two cubs that I encountered. I also missed one of the largest Mojave Green Rattle snake I’ve ever seen that had just bit me in my boot and even though I had fang marks and venom to prove it, nobody will believe how big it was.

Anyway I need something now, so I’ll probably just take a run to WalMart or BestBuy

trainboyh16-44
9th Sep 2011, 12:20 PM
I've used lots of brands of little cameras, but my first digital camera was a fuji, and I found that highly regrettable. I'd only recommend Canon or Panasonic to someone.
Of course, if you get along well with your cameras it's at least worth sending it in to Canon.

Jazzbass01
9th Sep 2011, 12:21 PM
SNAKE!!!!

I would normaly run the 40 in three days, if that would have been me we would have a new world record..

Sleeper
9th Sep 2011, 12:31 PM
SNAKE!!!!

I would normaly run the 40 in three days, if that would have been me we would have a new world record..Ya me too, but this time I was going to fast out a door and didn’t look first. Luckily I always where high work boots and was jumping out a door that was a couple of steps above the ground or it would have got me in the calf instead of my boot.

Sleeper
9th Sep 2011, 12:34 PM
I've used lots of brands of little cameras, but my first digital camera was a fuji, and I found that highly regrettable. I'd only recommend Canon or Panasonic to someone.
Of course, if you get along well with your cameras it's at least worth sending it in to Canon.I'm going to try to get it fixed, but i just need something now and it will be OK to have two cameras because I could just leave one in the truck.