PDA

View Full Version : My other hobby... the one I can share with my friends.

RollingNovice
19th Nov 2011, 09:27 PM
I have to admit, I'm always somewhat embarassed to tell people I know that I play with trains. :o But at least with photography, I can share what I do, and not risk group laughter. Not as much, anyway. :)

Just thought I'd share some of my favorite shots from the past few years.

[Mod note: Pictures removed since they nothing with the purpose of this forum or MRRing. - BryanC]

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Hopefully with the new layout, I can take a swing at some micro-photography. :p

WP&P
19th Nov 2011, 09:30 PM
We LOVE photos around here! Now that you have self-declared like this, I think our expectation is gonna be that every post you make be accompanied by a photo... :rolleyes:

BryanC (RIP)
19th Nov 2011, 09:35 PM
Please, this is not the place for these pictures! Please read the announcement at the top of the forum. This forum id for the technical discussion of photography materials, techniques and equipment. It is not for the display of pictures. Did you not read this?

If you want to display this kind of photography, your blog is the place to do it. Not here.

Please remove this post it has absolutely nothing to do with trains or MRR!

Edit: despite WP&P's post above these pictures have no place here. Use your blog!!!!!

BryanC (RIP)
19th Nov 2011, 09:47 PM
On second thought, I have removed the pictures altogether! The pictures were quite good as far as I couyld see but they they were totally out of context with purpose of this forum and had absolutely nothing to do with MRRing!

Again, the place for this stuff is your blog - nowhere else!

RollingNovice
19th Nov 2011, 10:16 PM
I apologize for the unintentionally offensive posting.

After reviewing this section of the forum, and reading through several threads which didn't even mention a train, I figured sharing a few photos wouldn't be all that harmful. Obviously this lack of judgment on my part didn't go un-noticed, and warranted a public stoning in the town square.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I guess I'll take my hobby to a slightly less militant forum.

Again, sorry for the interruption.

Bryan
20th Nov 2011, 12:40 AM
This site is for 'N' scale modelling as a hobby, not other hobbies.

We provide our members with a Blog where they can post off-topic stuff (your other hobbies, if you wish).

This forums Name, Description, and the Announcement at the top of this forum all indicate what it is for.
Please take a moment to read them... that's why they're there... they tell you what the forum is for... you don't have to guess.

There is no militancy here... you have just chosen to interpret it that way... our membership and staff are friendly and helpful.
We know (hope) you're post was not an intentional error (that would be bad ;) )... and your post was not offensive, just misplaced.

ThirdCoastRail
26th Nov 2011, 12:45 AM
Drat...my other hobbies are geology and photography...I have over 750GB of photos of really interesting rocks I was going to share here...

Just kidding, we love pictures here, feel free to share all your non-N scale pics on your blog, I'm sure plenty of folks here do a lot with photography and would like to see. :D

ejholden
26th Nov 2011, 10:50 AM
Public stoning ????????

Can I have the left over talus please?

musicman
26th Nov 2011, 12:16 PM
I read this one and quite frankly I was a bit puzzled. I was going to respond and then thought I should go away and think about it first - because I have many times jumped right in, said what I thought, and wished later that I had given it more thought.

I was not bothered in any way by the picture posting - which I did not see anyway - but would agree that perhaps the poster would be happier to find an online photography forum.

What did really bug me was the poster's attitude toward this hobby.

Note: Here is where I put in my little rant. It is only my opinion and not meant to be offensive in any way.

I am sure that if I walked into any room or any group of acquaintances and friends and announced that my hobby was playing with toy trains, I would be met with laughter. In fact, I would probably have to laugh with them.

I can however walk into any room or any group of acquaintances and friends and in conversation say that my hobby is miniature scale modelling focused mainly on scale model railroad and get quite a different response.

Point ... The day that I can't take enough pride in my hobby to act and speak like I am genuinely proud of my hobby then it's time to pick another hobby.

Nuf sed!

~ ....... stepping down offa the soapbox ...............~ Thenk yew!

russtrnmn
15th Dec 2011, 09:28 PM
I do tell people that model railroading is my hobby. I always here "You mean you collect trains" I say no I actually run them on a layout. If I collected them they would be on a shelf. If they don't like it I put my foot in their :censored:.

A few years ago I was in this training session. At the beginning of the session we were asked to write something on a sticky note that people may not know about you. Very few people new each other well in this class of 50 or 60 people. There was a contest between various tables concrning guessing who the note was about. If someone guessed guessed write then that table got the points. If no one guessed then the table of that person got the points. Each table got one guess.
Since I played piano as well as model rail roading I had to decide. I picked model railroading. No one guessed that I was the one. I didn't fit thier stereotype. The next day I was able to share pictures with the class.

Someone else also played the piano and one of the tables picked me because a lady had heard me play once before but I didn't put that on my note.

I haven't really had any negative comments on my hobby. They see me at our local club open to the public every Saterday. I do show off some of the features of DCC. I have gotten some young people interested by showing them the DCC. I have found it amazing how many people are into model rr. Once we find you out in my area we introduce you to the rest of us train geeks. Hey I live in Mississippi where more people ar into 4 wheelers and hunting or fishing. Of course my other hobby is fishing and Kayaking.