PDA

View Full Version : Bachmann Acela Fix

seabilliau
9th Mar 2012, 05:11 PM
My first N Scale train was the Bachmann Acela set as soon as I got there were issues. The motor unit (cafe car) just wasn't impressing me with its power and one of the trucks even fell out when I picked it up. Needless to say after repairing that a gear fell out of the same truck after less an an hours worth of running.

Arrgh!

But, I refuse to be defeated. I contend the warranty dept and they told me to send it in. I knew the problem was in the truck, and figured I could do something about it...

Detail explanation:
As I was putting the gear back in the truck, I needed to move the axle that spun around. As I moved the axle and then re-set the gear, I pushed the axle back into place BUT I soon realized that on one side of the truck the part that held the axles in place was on backwards. The two little thingy me bobbers in Exibit A sticking up from the truck hold pieces of metal that hold the gear axles in place. If they are, oh let's say... On backwards, you can expect a gear to fall out. So I just took the truck apart and put the thingy me bobber on correct.

Easy explanation:
The thingy me bobbers sticking up from exhibit A hold the axles that hold the gears in place. One of mine was on backwards. I took apart the truck and put e thingy on correct.

All I need to do now is test it. I'll try that out after I set up the track in the live room tonight. Wish me luck.

Summary:
Never give up the ship.

Exhibit A

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_70_104&products_id=241

Michael Whiteman
9th Mar 2012, 11:59 PM
Sounds like you qualify for any openings in their QC department. Nice you saved all the time and hassle of a warranty.

seabilliau
10th Mar 2012, 06:50 PM
Just ran her and had a gear from the other truck fall out:eek: Really Bachmann? Are you kidding me? So I fixed that and tried again.

The cafe car by itself runs great but now, with all the other cars connected, the wheels just spin... and spin. So I cleaned off all wheels with a de greaser very carefully so as not to get it in the gears. Still spins.

I think I need to replace the traction on the wheels that have it? Are eh all the same size or do I need special Bachmann traction tires? That was a joke.

If anyone from Bachmann is reading, I AM NEVER BUYING ANOTHER BACHMANN PRODUCT. Strong words i know, but i dont have the money to throw around and will be spending my money on products that are reliable. I did not get into model railroading to model "repair your own train because it's not very good".

Sorry to rant but this is ridiculous and I'm just tired of dealing with it. If it were couplers, eh... But gears falling out?

Railroad Bill
10th Mar 2012, 07:36 PM
The end of this tale is your communication w/Bachmann. Never know what they'll do. Oh, they had said, "Send it in." I'd give that a try.

ChicagoNW
10th Mar 2012, 08:03 PM
There have been several articles in the magazines about the various problems with the train. If you hunt them down you find fixes to all the problems yuou haven't found yet. After the fixes the trains run like a champ. If you search for trucks falling out, no company has been immune. Most of our model equipment come from one factory.

seabilliau
10th Mar 2012, 08:05 PM
You guys are right. I was just a little heated. Thanks for listening.