PDA

View Full Version : Glue, what is your favorite for what uses and why?

ScottfromWV
10th Apr 2012, 09:11 PM
I am using Tenax-7 to build my styrene kits with and using a touch and flow for my applicator, but I can't get more than an inch in the glass tube at a time.

What glues are you all using and why?

skipgear
10th Apr 2012, 09:30 PM
WOW, that is a huge one to answer. I have at least a dozzen glues setting on the bench:

Thin CA
Med CA
Thick CA
Foam Safe CA
Tamiya Liquid Cement
Ambroid Pro-Weld Liquid Cement
Testors Liquid Cement
Testors Tube glue
5 minute epoxy
JB weld
Elmers white glue
Elmers carpenters glue
Elmers Nano/Ultimate/Urethane glue
Micro Krystal Clear (works great as glue for clear parts)
and many more.....

Each has it's own use.

epumph
10th Apr 2012, 09:32 PM
styrene I use plastruct liquid cement and faller - faller is slower setting
on the layout I use latex adhesive for cork and track and some structures. I use white glue in various ratio mixes for gluing grass, foam shrubs, ballast, etc to the terrain.
Edit- I use gorrilla glue CA for various other gluing dissimilar materials.

aussie
10th Apr 2012, 09:45 PM
Most of the above for me except when it comes to woodworking I only use Titebond III. That stuff is the duck's nuts. For contact cement I prefer the old reliable Bear/Selleys/Dupot brand in the can from the box store. I use it for laying "yard" sized sheets of roadbed and it works great. Got to be careful with it of course. Once it touches that's it. For scenery I use WS Scenic Cement and Scenic Glue. I tried their Foam Tack glue but imho not worth the trouble. For epoxy work I always use West System epoxies. They have a great range and there's something there for virtually every need you can think of.

skipgear
10th Apr 2012, 10:07 PM
For styrene, I have come to really rely on the Tamiya liquid cement for clean new constuction. The applicator is second to none and the bottle is wide and flat, preventing spills. The glue is very good about drying without marring the surface. The Ambroid Pro-Weld is the most aggressive and what I use when scratch building larger items and structures. The testors is a close second and what I use when Ambroids is out of stock (seems like the normal sitation as of recently). The tube glue is only used to fill gaps on poor fitting parts.

Jimmi (RIP)
11th Apr 2012, 12:55 AM
I use a wide variety including most that have been mentioned. My most used are Testors liquid, Aleene's Tacky Glue (easier to work with than WS) and of course white glue. I use tube glue at times to "tack weld" building parts together while I put clamps and rubber bands on, then I can hit it with liquid cement or CA. I was using Gorilla CA. Last time I ran out I picked up some Krazy Glue Advanced at the grocery store. I'm sticking with it. (pun intended).

bc6
11th Apr 2012, 01:18 AM
Speaking of glues I just bought a bunch of glues today infact. I like CA mostly especially the med CA. I also use thin CAs, Ive use Plastruct Bondene for Styrene & Abs. I have good ol Elmers glue and Rollataq adhesive, just in case I need it I have thick CA as well. I just got some rubber cement to attach plans to styrene then cut.

skipgear
11th Apr 2012, 02:05 AM
Point of interest, never use CA glues to assemble styrene models. It doesn't hold over time. I know because I have been rebuilding an HO city that was put together (by someone else) with CA.

ScottfromWV
11th Apr 2012, 07:45 AM
What does CA mean by the way?

BryanC (RIP)
11th Apr 2012, 07:54 AM
What does CA mean by the way?Google: Define: CA glue

From third entry:
Definition for ca glue:

Web definitions:

Cyanoacrylate A form of glue, commonly called "super glue" often used in model building. You should treat with extreme...

coffeeman
11th Apr 2012, 08:20 AM
My list isn't as long as others

New kits, Testors tube though I'm considering changing
Windows, Krystal-Klear
Road bed and track, acrylic caulk
Scenery, Elmer's white glue
Scratchbuilding and misc needs for strong holds, Krazy instant glue, though I'm also considering a change.

Chessack
11th Apr 2012, 11:37 AM
I've become a huge fan of Elmer's glue, both regular and the yellow wood glue.

Huge advantages to Elmer's over a lot of other glues are, first, that it's non-toxic, which makes it ideal in an apartment with poor ventilation, and second, that it cleans up with water. I also like that it doesn't dry instantly like CAs or some styrene glues, which gives me more working time and allows me to fix errors. It does require the items to be "held in place longer" (on the order of a few hours) but I will take that over the tiny margin of error the instant glues have.

ScottfromWV
11th Apr 2012, 11:47 AM
WHat glues do you all use to hold your balast and track down with?

BryanC (RIP)
11th Apr 2012, 12:25 PM
WHat glues do you all use to hold your balast and track down with?Scott, this has been discussed literally 100s of times here. A quick site search for ballast or ballast and glue will produce all kinds of results!

The latest is just days (yes, days) old! http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?25482-Ballast-adhesive-what-is-the-best-recipe

ScottfromWV
11th Apr 2012, 01:41 PM
The thread was about glues was it not?

magi46
11th Apr 2012, 05:05 PM
For my 2 cents worth, skipjack (reply #2 above) listed my collection completely. Bottom line is read the labels. Check the product at their online site if they have one or look for reviews by users. Settle on what works for you.

ChicagoNW
11th Apr 2012, 09:18 PM
For most tasks I use Aleene's Tacky Glue. It bonds everything. Straight up for hard bonds. Diluted for scenery. On plastic I will use Plastruct. When I need a instant bond I use CA. The reason that CA bonds your fingers and other body parts better than your models is that it's original use is Instant Sutures for surgery and Emergency Medicine. It was developed by the U.S. Military to save lives on the battlefield. It uses the moisture in your skin to cure faster. the damper the faster the set-up. When mounting large sheet materials like backdrops, I use SprayMount.