PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak On Sale

Matt S
23rd May 2012, 03:14 PM
Hey folks

I just read this email today and wanted to make sure all the Amtrak fans knew about it - have a nice day :)

http://www.walthers.com/exec/lastcall?scale=N

TwinDad
23rd May 2012, 04:43 PM
Did I read that correct that just ONE Acela cafe car is on SALE for $117??? Surely that's not right...

schill
23rd May 2012, 05:48 PM
The cafe car is the powered one, isn't it? So that's basically the price of an expensive locomotive. The HHP-8s are a lot more expensive than what I paid for mine (from somewhere else) a few months ago.

TwinDad
23rd May 2012, 05:52 PM
The cafe car is the powered one, isn't it? So that's basically the price of an expensive locomotive. The HHP-8s are a lot more expensive than what I paid for mine (from somewhere else) a few months ago.

Oh, OK then. That makes sense. I thought maybe it had a working N-scale kitchen or something. Anybody for some 1:160 pancakes?

Matt S
23rd May 2012, 07:48 PM
I've not bought anything from Walthers; can I infer from the above comment that even their sale prices aren't great?

russtrnmn
23rd May 2012, 08:57 PM
I haven't ordered directly from them because of prices. I do like the Walthers brand of rolling stock and structures and I buy them from other sources.
My LHS is a Walthers dealer and I can get items from him at the same price or a little cheaper.

MetroRedLn
24th May 2012, 05:44 AM
I've not bought anything from Walthers; can I infer from the above comment that even their sale prices aren't great?

I think the Kato Viewliner sleeper is priced very nicely...but I'm a western modeler and have no use for Viewliner equipment on my layout!

TwinDad
24th May 2012, 01:56 PM

I assume you mean schill's comment, not mine, since I was merely mistaken about the nature of the club car.

The lesson you can probably take is "caveat emptor" -- check around because yes indeedy, "sale" prices from any establishment may not necessarily be the best deal.

schill
24th May 2012, 02:03 PM
I assume you mean schill's comment, not mine, since I was merely mistaken about the nature of the club car.

The lesson you can probably take is "caveat emptor" -- check around because yes indeedy, "sale" prices from any establishment may not necessarily be the best deal.

I purchased 2 HHP-8s (different road numbers) from one of the major online retailers for $50 each. I guess they must have been having a really good sale. I don't remember the prices being listed as sale prices.

I probably should have bought some more.

Matt S
24th May 2012, 02:20 PM
As I try and build my FEC roster, I don't think a "sale" of any kind is very likely. Fortunately I have a wonderful LHS in my neck of the woods that I've already bought and will continue to buy everything I can from. I've gone through the likes of eBay and Amazon as well - are there other trusted sources for finding obscure RR stock?

coffeeman
24th May 2012, 03:44 PM

Ive bought from them through my LhS. When they have a sale, my shop will order in and sell t that price. Saves on odering direct where I incur shipping charges and their "extra percentage" charge if your order is small.

Like ordering off eBay do some research to make sure you can't get the same thing cheaper elsewhere.

eric220
24th May 2012, 07:01 PM

Walthers is a manufacturer as well as a wholesaler and reseller. In general their prices are exactly MSRP. It's a good idea to shop around, even on their sale prices, as products can often be found for deeper discounts at other resellers.

ejholden
29th May 2012, 07:03 PM
In all fairness to Walthers,
If they offered dealer prices in their direct sell on-line specials, then there wouldn't be an LHS in the country that would stock their product ........

http://www.nscale.net/forums/mysmiliesvb/mysmilie_340.gif