PDA

View Full Version : Weathered track and cars - a few pics

pwh70
20th Nov 2012, 08:22 AM
When I first picked this hobby back up again, I would look at articles and think "why would somebody spend all that time to put worn-out unusable track on the limited space in their layout?"
Now, I realize the life that the "lifeless" scene brings to the scenery. Since then, I'm fascinated with old yards, crossings and the various things that come along with it.
Here's a few pics of a siding in Portsmouth, NH that might give some ideas for anyone choosing to add a siding well off the mainline. This is a good mix of frequently used (by limited traffic), to unused, to abandoned.

Disclaimer: I spoke to the operators before taking the pics - no RR feelings were hurt in the taking of these photographs :D

-Paul

37205 37206 37207 37208 37209 37210

ChicagoNW
20th Nov 2012, 03:40 PM
Those can't by prototype photos. There is ballast on top of the ties. I can not tell whether the spacing of the ties is wide or narrow. In some of those shots the ballast isn't there and the ties are buried in dirt. Those don't look like realistic model railroading practices to me!

pwh70
20th Nov 2012, 06:26 PM
There is ballast on top of the ties.

Touché!!

That's funny... I thought the same thing when I looked at the photos!
And oddly enough, I didn't even notice when I was standing out there looking at them.

RBMNfan
25th Dec 2012, 06:15 AM
I actually like to see abused rail sections, they remind us that much of a railcars journey is spent off the high iron. Its not prototypical to have secondary tracks maintained to the same level as an important mainline.
Tracks speeds are often reduced to 5 or 10 mph making the relatively short distances covered seem longer,something useful to us modelers,though irritating to real train crews.

I use the color of rails and the state of the ballast to differentiate the types of track on my layout.
The only bad part with n scale is that even low pro wheels won't let you bury track like that. I have an industrial lead track on my layout that I tried to get the deferred maintenance look on.
Yard tracks and industrial leads are at the bottom of the totem pole as far as maintenance goes. Only a problem if there's a derailment.

ChicagoNW
25th Dec 2012, 12:34 PM
Dirt and rock derailing the equipment is a prototypical problem. I have a Green Frog video TODAY'S CHICAGO RAILROADS of looks around Chicagoland. In one section it follows a Milwaukee Road local run over the street tracks on Goose Island. At one point the crew have to shovel an inch of gravel off the rails washed there during a storm. Later in the segment you can gear the pinging and crunch of loose stones on the rails.

baronjutter
25th Dec 2012, 03:02 PM
This makes me want to get some code 55 track and try to make some scenes like this. Don't look right with code 80 :(

MetroRedLn
25th Dec 2012, 03:29 PM
This makes me want to get some code 55 track and try to make some scenes like this. Don't look right with code 80 :(

Replace "Code 55" with "Code 40" if you're a Code55er!

ChicagoNW
25th Dec 2012, 03:34 PM
I'm not so sure about that.http://www.nscale.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23887&d=1327630246

Rwerner
29th Dec 2012, 03:38 AM
Replace "Code 55" with "Code 40" if you're a Code55er!
And if you are a "Code40er", replace with something smaller if you dare. I actually recall reading about a fellow handlaying rectangular metal wires to get something like code 25 rail for his lightly used trackage.

RBMNfan
4th Jan 2013, 01:04 PM
The only catch is that the low pro wheels sets sometimes rub on code 40. I can't see code 25 being usable with out modifying flanges. It would make for a sweet diorama however. I am jealous of the ability in HO and O to make a siding look totally abandoned and still hold an occasional car.