PDA

View Full Version : Hand-held "3D Printer"

RobChuck
19th Feb 2013, 09:10 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/19/3doodler/

I saw this story in my news feed this morning and couldn't help but think of all the applications for this device in our hobby.

Celidude
19th Feb 2013, 09:22 AM
I have no idea what I would use it for but that really is cool!

RobChuck
19th Feb 2013, 10:20 AM
I have no idea what I would use it for but that really is cool!

I'm not experienced enough to think of any specific applications, but those were my sentiments too!

Ridgeline
19th Feb 2013, 10:30 AM
I wonder how thick the "printing" is..... Looks too big for any detail work, and too small for any large flat surfaces..... Still very cool! I'm curious to see where this technology can go....

RobChuck
19th Feb 2013, 01:14 PM
I wonder how thick the "printing" is..... Looks too big for any detail work, and too small for any large flat surfaces..... Still very cool! I'm curious to see where this technology can go....

I imagine that the extrusion tool in this device would be similar to the one used in this company's previous 3D printer. Their website claims that printer achieves a typical resolution of 0.3mm [0.012"] with the capability of precision printing down to 0.1mm [0.004"]. For less than $100, it would be interesting to see what some of the talented and experienced modelers around here could do with it!

ChicagoNW
19th Feb 2013, 07:21 PM
I'm not so sure the thing will be all that useful for modeling.

After all its controlled by the human hand which is a thousand times less accurate than a knock-off of a Thingmaker built from scratch by four year olds equipped with plastic safety scissors.

You could get the same effect with an ultrafine glue gun.

But then again, it could be useful for adding rivets.

Rail and Tie
20th Feb 2013, 03:54 PM
You might be able to use this for making the under-structure for shaping small detailed hills or rock tunnel entrances before doing the plaster work. You could 3D "Draw" the scenery foundation before you cover it with plaster cloth etc. Way more accurate than balled up newspaper!