PDA

View Full Version : Filing and Sanding Supplies?

Rwerner
3rd Jun 2013, 11:57 PM
What sorts of tools and supplies do people use for filing and sanding their models? I want to do scratchbuilding and kitbashing and I am interesting in leaning what tools and supplies are most appropriate toward getting the best results for removing unwanted details and getting smooth, flush surface finishing.

Komata
4th Jun 2013, 01:36 AM
Rwerner

An interesting question. As the materials we use for scratchbuilding and kitbashing are quite varied and the tools and supplies vary as a result, could you please tell us your intended 'medium of choice'? 'Kit' Plastic? Card? Styrene? Brass? Casting Resin? Or...?

Once we know this, we can be more specific in our answers. Thanks.

scnscaler
4th Jun 2013, 10:11 AM
I used to do a lot of plastic airplane and car modeling, which pretty much requires a ton of sanding, so I have accumulated a ton of sanding tools. Needle files and sanding sticks are my weapons of choice. A Dremel with a sanding drum is good for removing large quantities of material from models (and other things). I found some small sanding pads at Hobby Lobby that have come in handy. Small sanding blocks and sanding wands are also handy. For really fine finishing, small, high number grit sanding pads and sheets are also useful. Flex-I-Files (the bow shaped sanders) are great for rounded surfaces. Micromark also has some small sanding tools that look pretty interesting. Matter of fact, Micromark has about 200 different items for sanding and filing, I would peruse their website to see what's available. I would start trying a few things and see what gives you the best results in different applications.

SteveG6942
4th Jun 2013, 10:49 AM
I picked up a needle file set at Wal-Mart for under $5 may not be the best but it works. It's in the tool dept with the hand tools

Ridgeline
4th Jun 2013, 03:20 PM
I know a lot of my fellow modelers agree with me when I say go to the auto parts store.......... :D

I use 3M sandpaper in everything from 180 grit to 2000 grit, and I use Bondo spot putty (the red stuff) as filler.

ChicagoNW
4th Jun 2013, 05:41 PM
After you look in the MicroMark Catalog don't buy anything yet.

Go to the dollar store, hardware store, beauty store, auto parts store and find equivalent tools. You'll find such things as sanding sticks for polishing nails. What you can't find other places for a third of the price buy from MicroMark.

For filing I love Green and White Squadron Putty. But you do need different tools for the mant materials we use. Get different tools for working with metals and plastics/woods. Metal burs can stick in a file or sanding stick and destroy a fine polish job.