PDA

View Full Version : Crocodiles, Oh My

TVRR
14th Jul 2013, 01:40 PM
I recently purchased a new Arnold 2-6-6-2 Crocodile loco #2468 just because it looked so cool and I wanted to watch the side rod assemblies run some. Now that I've played around with it a little a couple of questions have come to mind. Will retrofitting with DCC decrease it's resale value? It's a fairly easy job. Also the wheels are semi pizza cutter and are noisy crossing turnouts and cross overs (Unitrack). Can anything be done practically and economically to change out the drivers? Thanks, pete

ChicagoNW
14th Jul 2013, 06:15 PM
Since the loco was designed to run on the World Standard for track height and Kato Unitrack follows that standard by using Code 80 rails the problem is not the flanges.

Have you checked the loco against the NMRA Standards? It was built using NEM standards, so long ago, the spacing may not be right. Smaller flanged wheels will be a custom thing so you may not like the price.

Depending on who you are selling the loco to, DCC installation may decrease the value. Especially since you've already destroyed the collector value by touching the box, it won't matter that much.

The bigger question will you be running it from overhead wire?

Quetzal
14th Jul 2013, 09:12 PM
If you sell it to someone who uses DCC, then I would say it is worth the decoder cost plus 10 or 20 dollars more for the installation effort. If you change the wheels to make it run better, that is a huge improvement for any buyer except a collector. I think you should go for making it work better, since there are more buyers interested in that than collector value. Plus, you will get more enjoyment out of it if you modify, and that is hard to put a value on.

Mark.S+10
15th Jul 2013, 12:42 AM
Old Arnold's have notoriously deep flanges. My Pacifics will hit on the frog section of Peco code 80 insulfrog turnouts. You can reduce the flange by removing the wheel and turning it against a file on a drill press. The technique was detailed in one of the NTrak Steam Addendums. You can also hook up the DC power leads to a pair of flat files and reduce the flange by carefully running the engine on the files. Obviously the first method is much more complex but does produce near perfect and repeatable results. The second method works but requires care. My tutorial on rebuilding Arnold Pacifics in the tutorial section may be of some help with your Crocodile. I love my Arnold's.

Have fun, Mark