PDA

View Full Version : Please support Catskill Mtn Railroad in the face of a city trying to end them

Specter3
29th Aug 2013, 01:22 PM
Please support if you can and pass on the info if you have a way to do so.

http://catskillmtrailroad.com/legaldefense.php

Thanks

Jugtown Modeler
29th Aug 2013, 02:16 PM
Paypal would be helpful...
Do you have any connections with the railroad?

coffeeman
30th Aug 2013, 08:14 AM
Ok I don't get it - why shut down something that attracts tourists, which brings money for a trail which does nothing?

Is there another side or is this mayor just off his rocker? Are they behind in taxes or something?

Chessack
30th Aug 2013, 08:19 AM
It sounds like a small, determined group of people who want to replace the "Rail and trail" area with just walking/hiking trails are behind all this. Though why they would have so much influence, unless one of them is, say, married to the mayor, is beyond me.

PW&NJ
30th Aug 2013, 11:01 AM
Grrrrrrrr. :sumo:

Chessack
30th Aug 2013, 11:53 AM
I don't understand the motivations of these people. The train is perfectly willing to share space with the trail... so why are the trail-hikers not willing to do the same? If they are "green" people, they ought to be aware that train travel is one of the most green forms of transit there is.

MuddyCreek
30th Aug 2013, 11:59 AM
It sounds like a small, determined group of people who want to replace the "Rail and trail" area with just walking/hiking trails are behind all this.

This is the same scenario that is playing out in the Adirondacks. A small group there doesn't want to share the ROW, just want it all gone, just want it to be theirs alone.

I've spent a lot of time around the tracks in the Kingston area, having grown up in the Hudson Valley. Always had a strong interest in the Ulster & Delaware Railroad that ran over the tracks in the photo.

Hard to believe I am aching to move back to NY with people like that ruining the area in favor of small groups of influential individuals.

I'll be sending a donation.

Wayne

Jugtown Modeler
30th Aug 2013, 12:49 PM
There usually is more to the story but my casual search did not turn up the larger agenda or issues that are causing this pressure on the railroad. I have found that even on the small, local level, politics are often played out by those with the biggest agenda/chip on their shoulder/point to prove their existence, and occasionally serve no real purpose for the community or their constituents. I will try to sell off a few items and send up what I can.

coffeeman
30th Aug 2013, 08:08 PM
I thought about and then remembered there's a local issue with outfitters using a park for boat launches into the river as there's not sufficient additional launch sites, and how could the county allow this.

One of the quotes was about a group of 100 for an outfitter being there. All I could think is: that's 100 tourists in your city that are bringing cash into the local economy.

This is why we can't have nice things, there's always someone that wants to ruin it.

grrf
1st Sep 2013, 07:39 AM
Ah, seems nimby's are trying to take over , same sort of things here as well.

Bessemer Bob
2nd Sep 2013, 11:49 AM
Also a great thread on the raifan.net website following weekend projects and such.

It is a shame that a small group often through extreme effort can get what the minority wants. I can think og many ways a co existing relationship between the two would work and possibly help both flourish. Then again I spend a great deal of time working around New York State and one thing they do better then most states is exporting its citizens. Oh then raising taxes to offset the exodus of its tax base...

Bessemer Bob
2nd Sep 2013, 11:52 AM
Also for those involved maybe reaching out to different media sources to get the word out and public support as an idea. CNN etc love to do the feel good storys. Local news may be a start but I would say go big or go home..... Nothing like a news story "The Little Engine That Could"

zosimas
2nd Sep 2013, 02:55 PM
try change.org, maybe start a petition?

epumph
8th Sep 2013, 08:12 PM
here is one politician who has the right idea http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/media/view/?id=8eb0777d-5056-a032-5250-f111a02c1edd&utm_source=target&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Watch+Bernie+speak+about+the+investmen ts+in+rail+++featuredlinkurl&utm_campaign=Target:+Vermonts+Rail+Network+Gets+a+ Needed+Boost+09-07

and here is another NY scenic rr in trouble. I road it last year:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/93101.html?utm_source=Speak+up+for+Travel+Corridor&utm_campaign=Speak+up+for+Travel+Corridor&utm_medium=email