PDA

View Full Version : Kato 10-510 JR500 Shinkansen + DCC

jkaechler
7th Dec 2013, 01:42 AM
Greetings nscalers,
I am soon going to pull the trigger on the Kato JR500 10-510 set from M.B.Klein.
My one remaining question is in regard to DCC. I have read that the EM-13 and FJ-12 decoders are the right ones?
EM-13 in the powered car and an Fj-12 in each nose?

Has anyone done the upgrade?

jkaechler
9th Dec 2013, 11:11 PM
nudge, nudge

sedril
11th Dec 2013, 09:20 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think that model is "DCC-Ready". If it was, you'd be looking for a small removable panel on the bottom of the motor car.
"DCC-Ready" models from Kato accept the EM-13 and FL-12 decoders.

Here's a pretty good writeup about them: http://sumidacrossing.org/ModelTrains/ModelTrainDCC/DCCReadyEMU/index.html

jkaechler
11th Dec 2013, 01:36 PM
ok, so I will be looking to manually install a decoder.
I have seen a number of schematics and guides, it does not look terribly complicated. However, my soldering iron seems to be really sucky. It takes an eternity to be able to melt solder and I wind up melting the surrounding plastic bits on everything I work on.

Obviously I need a better one, but what am I looking for? Wattage? Tip type? This is new territory..

sedril
12th Dec 2013, 01:43 PM
Unfortunately, I have no real idea. I figure a fine conical tip would be your best bet. Not sure about the wattage.

jkaechler
12th Dec 2013, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately, I have no real idea. I figure a fine conical tip would be your best bet. Not sure about the wattage.

I decided to skip the wattage issue entirely and try out a small butane powered iron. It does have a fine conical tip, that tip is easily replaceable. and the little pencil torch was cheap anyway, so if the experiment fails I am only out $20

This weekend I will be practicing soldering with the new tool, I dont want to dive into an expensive dcc install without at least a little practice with a new tool....

Sugar
17th Jan 2014, 03:58 AM
I fitted DZ125's into my Series 500 last week. Great Xmas pressy, thanks Santa

Very easy task, about 20 mins each.

Your butane powered iron will do well. Just lower the setting so that the solder just melts. If the decoder wire insulation starts to melt, its too hot.