PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Photo Challenge - January

coffeeman
10th Jan 2014, 11:16 PM
Here is the thread to post your photo for the month.

We'll keep it somewhat simple since we're part way through the month.

This month's theme will be: Diesel locomotives

Feel free to share some info about your photo too.

As a reminder any photo is acceptable as long as its your own, it was taken within this month and it can be either a model or the real thing.

So let's see those big mean haulin' machines'

pwh70
10th Jan 2014, 11:21 PM
I was going to enter a photo from my submittal to the 1Q14 proto photo thread 2 days ago, but I like the idea of an "assignment", so I'm going to see if I can find another diesel shot before the end of the month.
Great thread, CM - thanks for thinking of it!

Michael Whiteman
11th Jan 2014, 03:34 AM
This is probably one of my most interesting photos. Taken at the Dennison Texas Katy shops around 1978. I have no idea what happened to the original long end on this Alco unit.

Phill91
11th Jan 2014, 04:51 AM
Well, no prototypes near me, so you have motivated me to get something done for a model scene!! Thanks!! Just the kick in the rear i needed to get into gear :)

mhampton
11th Jan 2014, 02:47 PM
This is probably one of my most interesting photos. Taken at the Dennison Texas Katy shops around 1978. I have no idea what happened to the original long end on this Alco unit.

Nice shot, but don't the challenge rules say the pic has to be taken during the topic's month?

Ridgeline
11th Jan 2014, 05:49 PM
Okay, so just to be clear...

The challenge is to post a picture of a diesel locomotive that I have taken in the month of January...? And it can be a model...? :D

I may have to go outside for this...

coffeeman
11th Jan 2014, 05:59 PM
Yes the focus is for you to go out and obtain the photo.

To try and promote rail based Photograpghy either through railfanning the prototypes or your layout.

Ridgeline
11th Jan 2014, 07:10 PM
So the challenge is actually to take a picture of scenery that happens to include a diesel locomotive...? :p

Bryan
11th Jan 2014, 08:29 PM
Yes the focus is for you to go out and obtain the photo.

To try and promote rail based Photograpghy either through railfanning the prototypes or your layout.

Great... thanks for the added clarity on the thread intent... Now if the equipment and setup is mentioned with the submission, these threads are right at home in this forum. :thumbs-up:

Janbouli
11th Jan 2014, 10:16 PM
Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a diesel in Europe :nope: but I'll try :D

Michael Whiteman
12th Jan 2014, 03:41 AM
Nice shot, but don't the challenge rules say the pic has to be taken during the topic's month?
Mike Hampton
Nashville & Southern Railroad
http://www.nscale.net/forums/image.php?u=4851&type=sigpic&dateline=1323031374 (http://home.comcast.net/~mhampton1971/)
Sorry, you're right! Had a senior moment here. Was day dreaming about the other thread of open photos and failed to read all the way through the requirements. There won't be any photos from Ashland this month. There's an inch of rust on the rails.

NDJim
14th Jan 2014, 09:51 PM
I took this today with a Sony Cybershot G.

They are a pair of Dash 9-44CW's pulling into the BNSF building in Minot, ND to switch out the crew before heading into Montana.

pwh70
14th Jan 2014, 10:14 PM
Jim gets the first entry! That's got to be worth a free membership to something free….

magi46
14th Jan 2014, 10:38 PM
Most of my prototypes are gone, none near me either. :cry: :mad: :(

NDJim
14th Jan 2014, 11:23 PM
I would like my free membership to be to nscale.net.

Thank You!

Mill-Bay
14th Jan 2014, 11:58 PM

I got a message about accepting the rules before I could post on this thread, and I think this thread may technically be in violation >:-}.

I love this unit! I've been wanting to make one of these forever. It is a really nice, colourful unit to fill in the photo frame.

coffeeman
15th Jan 2014, 10:29 AM
Most of my prototypes are gone, none near me either. :cry: :mad: :(
Remember Photograpghy of a model is acceptable.

Nothing wrong with railfanning your layout

coffeeman
15th Jan 2014, 10:30 AM

Thank You!

Your account will be credited in time for renewal time :)

TwinDad
15th Jan 2014, 12:19 PM
Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a diesel in Europe :nope: but I'll try :D

Well, it is a Photography CHALLENGE...

Shots of models are fair game, as long as you discuss your camera and lighting setup...

NDJim
15th Jan 2014, 04:25 PM
So as not to leave out the CP Rail which happens to run through Kenmare. I went down to the small yard to see if any engines were sitting (there is usually one). No such luck, but as the dog and I were walking along this happened by. A mixed freight with three engines in the lead.

These were taken as it rolled through town with a Sony Cybershot DSC-W50.

53946 53947

Janbouli
15th Jan 2014, 05:21 PM

Thank You!

I was going to offer you free membership to my forum http://www.amerikaanse-treinen.nl/smf/index.php , and then give you a free course in Dutch while I stayed in the States at your cost >:-}

coffeeman
17th Jan 2014, 10:30 AM

CN's 2571 a C44-9W leading with 5714 a SD751. In tow were a bunch of coil cars, a few hoppers and tank cars.

Shot in manual mode.
F/8
1/500
ISO 800
Whitebalance was set to "cloudy"

jpwisc
20th Jan 2014, 04:05 PM
I will submit two photos, one real and one model. Both were shot under natural light, the model was shot with a maxed out F-Stop at -20F.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u5PG9Fr3yEI/UsoDwjEBWiI/AAAAAAAAB0Y/FDgP1jdWYcU/s1600/Opening+Shot.JPG

It was a little warmer for the real photo. The Empire Builder was about 3 hours behind schedule and had and extra diesel in the consist yesterday. It is pretty easy to tell which one was out of place at the Builder cruised by Dayton's Bluff, hint: it's not the smoky one.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5539/12052344106_b88ebd6155_b.jpg

TwinDad
20th Jan 2014, 05:25 PM
Here's my provisional entry for the month, though I'm still hoping to get a prototype shot before the month ends...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7368/12057309544_75a636e9c5.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bgtwindad/12057309544/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bgtwindad/12057309544/) by BGTwinDad (http://www.flickr.com/people/bgtwindad/), on Flickr

This is a pair of engines on Ray Grosser's O Scale Soo Line Nostalgia Trip layout, which was featured in MRR's Great Model Railroads 2012. His wife's scratchbuilding skills have been featured in NMRA Magazine (and are absolutely top notch!), and he also has an article in a recent Model Railroad Hobbyist. He'd asked me to help him tweak the sound on these steamers, and I couldn't resist the chance to run them, too. He's got a fairly large HO layout and a Large Scale ride-on in his yard as well.

The photo was shot while I was demonstrating one of the "features" of the iPhone - the corner placement of the lens makes it easy to get "railfan perspective" photos from very low down to the ground. In this case, the center of the lens was 18 scale inches off the grass.

Ummm... 1/20sec f/2.4, ISO160, no flash, mix of room and sun lighting (there's a window over my left shoulder).

WP&P
20th Jan 2014, 07:06 PM
Um, TwinDad, which one of those engines is a diesel?

Mind you, I love the shot, but methinks this one should have been submitted for a later thread when the topic becomes steam. I've been thinking of doing a similar low-angle iPhone model shot for my entry, if I produce something. How did you get the camera settings info... is that baked into the iPhone's JPEG file it produces?

code40
20th Jan 2014, 10:12 PM
jpwisc - the photo without smoke is the model, right? Nice job on the details! (and the track, for that matter).

Celidude
20th Jan 2014, 11:42 PM
I have 2 entries that I took just yesterday:

#1 Wabash heritage unit. It snuck up on me rolling by at about 55-60 mph, barely got the shot.
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq48/Physlis/Railroading/IMG_20140119_132339_388_zpsifwppfci.jpg

and #2, a CSX, NS, and BNSF lash-up at the CSX yard in New Castle PA (there was also a UP engine in the yard as well but outside this shot)
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq48/Physlis/Railroading/IMG_20140119_171118_964_zpsuqamjmvp.jpg

Both were taken with my Motorla Android Razr Maxx, default settings, the second was zoomed in a little.

Phill91
21st Jan 2014, 06:55 AM
I like how the sign has conveniently covered the BA and all you see is WASH... well timed!

TwinDad
21st Jan 2014, 08:50 AM
Um, TwinDad, which one of those engines is a diesel?

Mind you, I love the shot, but methinks this one should have been submitted for a later thread when the topic becomes steam. I've been thinking of doing a similar low-angle iPhone model shot for my entry, if I produce something. How did you get the camera settings info... is that baked into the iPhone's JPEG file it produces?

umm the green one is an oil burner. Close enough?
I'm an idiot. I got so excited about going down there I forgot about the theme. I'll take another shot.

The iPhone embeds the info in the EXIF data of the JPG file. You can't see it on the phone without an app but Flickr shows it.

coffeeman
21st Jan 2014, 09:53 AM
The iPhone embeds the info in the EXIF data of the JPG file. You can't see it on the phone without an app but Flickr shows it.

Also if you download the photo to your computer first, then right click on it and select the Summary Tab. At the data is there for your viewing pleasure.

TD - I thought that was such a great photo with an iPhone I completely forgot that it wasn't a diesel!

Phill91
21st Jan 2014, 10:52 AM
umm the green one is an oil burner. Close enough?
I'm an idiot. I got so excited about going down there I forgot about the theme. I'll take another shot.

You could just name one of them... Diesel... ;)

TwinDad
21st Jan 2014, 11:47 AM
Also if you download the photo to your computer first, then right click on it and select the Summary Tab. At the data is there for your viewing pleasure.

TD - I thought that was such a great photo with an iPhone I completely forgot that it wasn't a diesel!

Tru dat, coffee.

I use an app called MetaBrowser on my phone on the rare occasions I need to see the data on my phone. Mostly, if I'm taking an iPhone shot, I don't care until/unless I've already moved the pic to the computer or cloud.

WP&P
21st Jan 2014, 06:32 PM
Well, is it possible to gain control over settings on the iPhone, to try to get maximum depth of field for instance? It seems like it is auto-everything, but is there a way to get in under the hood?

code40
23rd Jan 2014, 08:52 PM
Here's my contribution - not because it's a great photo but to illustrate one of the pitfalls of digital photography that still plagues me: shutter delay. I had this VIA rail F40PH-2 perfectly framed as it arrived at Fallowfield station, but a couple seconds' delay after I pressed the button meant that it was almost on top of me before the camera finally snapped the photo.

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz132/ojnrr/ModelRR/IMG_1237_zps6f43cd8c.jpg

Celidude
23rd Jan 2014, 09:44 PM
I hear ya Chris, the same thing happened with the Wabash I posted. I had it framed like you were going for but by the time the auto-focus was ready it was past me.

WP&P
23rd Jan 2014, 10:10 PM
Well, before the month is out, I guess I ought to post something, right? So I busted out the iPhone and had my high-nose hustle-muscle pose for a few shots. These are taken amidst the scenery in progress on the outskirts of Winchester, and on the recently forested bridge scene. I can tell that I need to Sharpie up the coupler trip pin, that kinda sticks out don't it?

http://wpandp.com/ModelRailroading/engine0890.jpg

http://wpandp.com/ModelRailroading/engine0895.jpg

http://wpandp.com/ModelRailroading/engine0883.jpg

MystRacing
25th Jan 2014, 04:54 PM
Well here's something I can accomplish, unlike planning a layout. I have 2 first is UP 6106 moving a cut of empty hoppers this morning.
And the pertinent data:

Camera

Canon EOS 6D

ISO

Focal Length

110mm

Aperture

f/8

Exposure Time

0.0012s (1/800)

Name

UP6101Loco.jpg

Size

2000 x 1333

Date Taken

2014-01-24 22:28:41

Date Modified

2014-01-25 13:01:39

File Size

845.83 KB

Flash

flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

Metering

pattern

Exposure Program

aperture priority

Exposure Bias

0 EV

Exposure Mode

auto

White Balance

auto

http://jgrein.smugmug.com/Trains/Gsrr/i-6Sj3Z8K/0/X2/UP6101Loco-X2.jpg

And the second of a couple small switch engines at the maintenance facility in Grand Junction Colorado. I see these running all over town on a regular basis. I shot a High Dynamic Range of this shot but the light was so good I just posted the standard photo.

And the info.

Info

Camera

Canon EOS 6D

ISO

Focal Length

200mm

Aperture

f/8

Exposure Time

0.0012s (1/800)

Name

UP1358.jpg

Size

2000 x 1432

Date Taken

2014-01-24 22:24:12

Date Modified

2014-01-25 12:56:26

File Size

1.26 MB

Flash

flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

Metering

pattern

Exposure Program

aperture priority

Exposure Bias

0 EV

Exposure Mode

auto

White Balance

auto

Color Space

sRGB

http://jgrein.smugmug.com/Trains/Gsrr/i-wCs3HdD/0/X3/UP1358-X3.jpg

pwh70
25th Jan 2014, 08:12 PM
I shot a High Dynamic Range of this shot but the light was so good I just posted the standard photo.

It sure is - and super sharp, too - nice shot!

zosimas
25th Jan 2014, 08:46 PM
BRRR RS-1 #205 pulling an excursion headed down grade after crossing bridge at Springfield:

and camera settings:

Phill91
26th Jan 2014, 10:51 PM
Thought it was about time I gave this a "shot" with my less than great 12.1 megapixel camera,

Two shots of my SF-NW2
54470 54472

and a shot of CNW 6858

code40
28th Jan 2014, 10:27 AM
Jodie -- yours are the sharpest photos I have ever seen posted online. What's your secret? Is it the quality of the camera and lens? The settings and lighting? The processing, compression, or uploading procedure? All of the above?

Janbouli
28th Jan 2014, 06:21 PM
Nothing can beat the Sun for lighting.

MystRacing
28th Jan 2014, 07:30 PM
Jodie -- yours are the sharpest photos I have ever seen posted online. What's your secret? Is it the quality of the camera and lens? The settings and lighting? The processing, compression, or uploading procedure? All of the above?

It's probably most of the above.

As Janboulli said the light is always #1. I could have taken a pretty good picture with my iphone in that light if I was a little closer.

A good camera body makes a big difference, ie even a low cost DSLR will take great photos, basically any camera that will store a RAW image file. But most non DSLR's compromise too much on the sensor and lens in favor of bells and whistles. This would incidentally fix your shutter lag issue. With my 6D I can shoot 5 frames per second which isn't even particularly good for a mid level dslr.

The lens is more important than the camera body. Both of these photos were shot with a Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L series zoom lens. This is an amazing lens even in low light. I'm not a lens snob, I have a couple Tamron lenses that are every bit as sharp if not more so than my L series lenses. But bottom line is you can't compensate for poor glass with electronics.

There really wasn't much processing on either of those photos. I lightened the shadows a touch on the second shot because the shadowed areas were a bit dark. I didn't mess with the color, these are just what the sensor saw. straight from the RAW file.

Where I upload the pictures may well be the answer to why they look so good on the internet. I use a service called SmugMug. Its a site for photographers to upload thier photos for people to buy. Or I can have prints made by them etc. I got tired of the free sites that basically own you're pictures once you upload them and all the advertising bloatware etc. My Smugmug account costs me $80 a year but I have a rediculous amount of space, I can upload 100meg files if I wish, they don't let people download my pictures without permission, and they don't own them just because I put them on the internet. They also don't bug me I get about 3 e-mails a year from them. Thier site will allow me to upload a large picture then post it different sizes on forums without the full data showing up. I have no idea how they do thier magic but I like it.

I post my photos on this site by reference in my smugmug account and don't copy them here. Because of that I have no site limit and I'm not using this great sites resources.

And they don't even have to be pictures of trains:D

http://jgrein.smugmug.com/Other/jgrein/i-pkcZ5w8/0/L/CGR-L.jpg

This is Western Colorado afterall

kalbert
29th Jan 2014, 10:30 PM
I finally have a worthy contribution! 3" of snow earlier this week coupled with 60mph wind gusts resulted in some big drifts on the Omaha Road between Mankato, MN and points southwest. I heard these guys busting them up on the scanner in my office at work so I took an early lunch to check it out. Unfortunately I didn't catch them in action, by the time I got caught up with them they had stopped on a siding and there were 5 or more pickup trucks and MOW vehicles near by. I'm not sure what was going on at this point so we didn't setup to take a lot of pictures, but I did snag one. This was shot in a car travelling 60mph+ (I was not driving!) with a Motorolla MotoX. Not bad for a no frills camera on the go I guess. Had there not been so much commotion I would have loved to get some better shots. All the crew members standing around looked as if they were maybe not having a very good day already and I didn't want to add an unnecessary element.

Maarten
31st Jan 2014, 05:52 PM
Shortly before closure two pictures I took today at the very end of the afternoon. (CET)

First a European diesel, Captrain EMD class 66: (Kato)
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o210/kloojoo/N-spoor/Class66-Captrain_zps050d50cb.jpg

Second a UP SW1500: (Arnold Rivarossi)
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o210/kloojoo/N-spoor/SW1500_zps6f292cff.jpg

About the photographs:
The class 66 was shot with my Olympus ZX1. ISO100, F8, 1/15th, 113 mm (35 mm eq.)

Then I realized I also have a DSLR which might have been better for this assignment. I know, it's embarrising I didn't think about that in the first place.. Unfortunately, it had a flat battery. Put it on the charger right away but light was running low, had to hurry. So I only had 3 shots before the battery died again. This one, although not perfect, was the best I got. Although I used manual focus, it's still not ok, needs more depth of field. Due to low light and zoom it's not optimal. Cab is ok, nose is unsharp.
Nikon D80, ISO100, F11, 1.3 seconds, 300 mm (35 mm eq.)

Next time start earlier and make sure batteries are charged.. :rolleyes:

MystRacing
1st Feb 2014, 11:33 AM
Crank your F stop F22 and it'll fix it right up. The shutter speed will be very long but it'll get the depth of feild.

coffeeman
1st Feb 2014, 09:04 PM
Crank your F stop F22 and it'll fix it right up. The shutter speed will be very long but it'll get the depth of feild.

To add to that with the longer shutter speed and high f stop you may want to use a tripod. You'll likely catch some hand shake otherwise

Roanoke_NS6123
2nd Feb 2014, 07:16 AM
I know it's a little late to be posting this here, But the photo was shot on location in January, 2014. Here we see the Maersk SD40-2 in the lead with a local freight returning back to Roanoke from Buchanan, VA at the crossing of 15th street in Buchanan. I was lucky enough to catch this shot.

All photos details will be listed below the photo, & at the hosting location of the photo.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/Norfolk_Southern_SD-40-2_6123/Norfolk%20Southern%20N%20Scale%20Layout/b601df5a-e8b0-4fef-a93f-1c32d84e4c7e_zpsb08eab01.jpg

Taken on

January 15, 2014 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11274616@N06/archives/date-taken/2014/01/15/) at 3.19AM PST (edit (http://www.flickr.com/photo_date_taken.gne?id=12266185025))

Posted to Flickr

February 2, 2014 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11274616@N06/archives/date-posted/2014/02/02/) at 3.01AM PST (edit (http://www.flickr.com/photo_date_posted.gne?id=12266185025))

Exif data

Camera

LG Electronics LG-E970 (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/lg/72157631660840702/)

Exposure

0.05 sec (1/20)

Aperture

f/2.4

Focal Length

4.6 mm

ISO Speed

Exposure Bias

0 EV

Flash

Unknown (0x5600)

X-Resolution

72 dpi

Y-Resolution

72 dpi

YCbCr Positioning

Centered

Date and Time (Original)

2014:01:15 03:19:52

Date and Time (Digitized)

2014:01:15 03:19:52

Color Space

sRGB

Compression

JPEG (old-style)

TwinDad
2nd Feb 2014, 10:50 AM
Great shots everyone. I'm hoping to get in to February, and at least get the subject right. :) Of course yesterday was my first chance to get out and shoot a loco. Should have gone ahead and set up a model shot.

Oh well. Just wanted to express my hearty support for this new photography thread idea. I think this is going to be a good thing!

jpwisc
2nd Feb 2014, 11:49 AM
Something that really helped my photography get better was thinking about lighting. I shoot my models outside under natural light. This makes them look more real, as most artificial lighting makes thing look a little weird.

When shooting real trains, try to shoot what I call the "light side". The sun should be at your back for the best photos. It is not always possible, but when it is, get the light on the near side and the nose of the engine.

Some other things to look at:
1) Is the engine or car in frame?
2) How does the angle look? Is it level?
3) Is there something blocking the view? Is there a post or sign in the way? Sometimes these add character, sometimes they are annoying.

While some people don't like the high restrictions on the page, check out railpictures.net. The photos are there are very nice, you will notice the lighting is good, focus is good and how they crop the photos makes them very easy to look at.

24zer0
5th Feb 2014, 12:21 AM
First thing I did was bump up the iso to 200 since the light was lower and it's a handheld telephoto shot. Also my cheap lense suffers when the aperature is wide open so the iso bump helps me shoot towards the sweet spot of f8.

iso 200 f7.1 1/400 lense @ 190mm

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/801/z1e0.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/m9z1e0j)