PDA

View Full Version : FA1 power

Roaring70s
8th Feb 2016, 07:43 PM
I am new to N scale and just developing my first very small layout. My main motive power is a single FA1 locomotive. It is a Lifelike and so far I have had no problems with it pulling 10 cars. I guess my concern as a rookie would be to burn out the motor.

How many cars could my FA1 safely pull without concern of excessive motor ware. I realize this is an older locomotive but one of my favs and want it to be be part of my layout for a long time

Rwerner
8th Feb 2016, 07:53 PM
Welcome to N scale!

It may be worth noting that there were two distinct versions of Life-Like FA-1 locomotives, and earlier version from the 90s and a revision from the early 00s. There may be differences in performance between the two.

It is also worth noting that factors relating to your layout (such as the steepest grade) and the cars being pulled (size, weight, and tracking characteristics) may impact the loading on the locomotive's motor.

MRLdave
8th Feb 2016, 10:04 PM
LL locos in general are strong pullers. As Rwerner noted, there are 2 versions of the FA1.......the older version has a plastic frame with lead weights, the newer version has a split frame. They are about equal in pulling power, but the newer version is a much smoother runner. I wouldn't be afraid to pull 20 cars........I have an ABBA set that I regularly pull 100 cars with. As a rule,the wheels on a loco will start spinning before you put enough load on a loco to harm the motor.

rrjim1
9th Feb 2016, 04:23 PM
LL locos in general are strong pullers. As Rwerner noted, there are 2 versions of the FA1.......the older version has a plastic frame with lead weights, the newer version has a split frame. They are about equal in pulling power, but the newer version is a much smoother runner. I wouldn't be afraid to pull 20 cars........I have an ABBA set that I regularly pull 100 cars with. As a rule,the wheels on a loco will start spinning before you put enough load on a loco to harm the motor.I believe there was only one version of the FA1/FB1, The other version was a FA2/FB2.

Carolina Northern
9th Feb 2016, 05:43 PM
I believe there was only one version of the FA1/FB1, The other version was a FA2/FB2.

MRLDave is correct. Sold my lastone, or I'd post a pict. There were 2 versions of the FA2/FB2, as well.

Don

rrjim1
9th Feb 2016, 06:57 PM
MRLDave is correct. Sold my lastone, or I'd post a pict. There were 2 versions of the FA2/FB2, as well.

DonTo my knowledge there has only been one run of FA1/FB1 from life like. Spookshow lists only one FA1/FB1 manufactured in 2000 and it came with the split metal chassis, I own two sets. Now if Life Like manufactured a FA1/FB1 before that I'm sure some of us would love to see them!

Roaring70s
15th Feb 2016, 05:44 PM
The Lifelike FA1 seems to be a good puller. I have had 14 cars behind it with no problems. Not sure I would want to increase that number.