modelrailroadbenchworkCOM
23rd May 2016, 09:48 PM
Updates include:

Tunnel sections with automatic tunnel portals
Default values for layers like color or height
All new cleanup dialog to remove unwanted elements
Usability and performance improvements
Bug fixes and increased app stability

I have yet to work with it but I'll have an update soon on what I think of the update. This was supposed to be a big update so I'm looking forward to seeing what's new.

O

Edit 1: The first things I've noticed is both the parts pallet and the parts/document panels can be hidden via buttons and we now have keyboard shortcuts! They have also added the ability to duplicate the file so you can save different versions finally.

2nd Jun 2016, 10:22 PM
5.1.1 was released today. Apparently there were some track pallet updates as well as more shortcut keys added.

Generally this update (5.1) is very stable and most of the concerns I've had in the past have been addressed. The only thing that really stands out as needing work is the 3D view which is supposed to get an update this year.

ChicagoNW
3rd Jun 2016, 02:04 AM
I'm so peaved I cannot upgrade to the new version. Have you exported a SILF and ran some trains in iRunTrains?

3rd Jun 2016, 01:13 PM
Have you exported a SILF and ran some trains in iRunTrains?

no. I draw track plans and build benchwork for a living. I really don't have time for it =(.

Having to pay for the new program did kinda suck since I had only owned the previous version for maybe a year but it's relatively cheap and the constant updates keep making it better. It also runs smoother than the old program and doesn't have as many quarks.

ChicagoNW
3rd Jun 2016, 10:23 PM
It's not the cost of the program. I've been running RailModeller since System 9 so it's paid for itself many times for me and I do track design for fun. Some of what you can do with the new version might be due to conversations I've had with the creator on what I've done with the old one long before the earliest RMPro Betas.

The fun part of iRunTrains is that it's just uses the SILF file exported right from RailModeller.

Showing your clients how the layout runs is a good selling tool.

http://www.iruntrains.com/
Some other design programs have this built in.

11th Jun 2016, 06:43 PM
So I recently found a big bug with the Smart insert: Close gap with tracks that will actually crash the program. The tool works great with straight segments but throw a curve into the mix and it will freeze up. Anyway I sent an email off the the program developer and I have to say he was very quick with his reply and within a few emails he had developed a fix for the next update. I have to say the interaction was very pleasant and I'm now looking forward to the update.

DrGonzo
13th Jun 2016, 11:28 AM
and doesn't have as many quarks.
That's good news!