PDA

View Full Version : Help needed! Assembly of Atlas RS-3 truck

P-LineSoo
17th Jul 2017, 09:16 PM
In filing the body of my RS-3 so that it will fit the Baldwin Shapeways shell, I inadvertently popped off one of the trucks. I have all the parts, but I don't know how it fits on to the loco. Are the gears on the same side or the opposite side of the other truck, which is still on the unit? I assume the wiper goes on the opposite side, correct?

Help!

P-LineSoo
17th Jul 2017, 09:35 PM
Well, now I'm screwed, neither truck has the wiper installed properly. I figured out which end of the truck is which, and I figured out that each wiper is on opposite sides, but I don't know how it installs and Atlas's exploded diagram is of little help.

P-LineSoo
17th Jul 2017, 09:42 PM
Well, I guess it will look nice sitting on my desk at work. Sigh.

Mac
17th Jul 2017, 09:53 PM
Is it the same as the RS-11 (I thought I recalled that they were very similar) -- http://n-scale-dcc.blogspot.com/2012/01/tcs-z2-in-older-atlas-rs11.html

P-LineSoo
17th Jul 2017, 09:56 PM
Similar enough. How does the wiper sit in the truck assembly?

Mac
17th Jul 2017, 09:58 PM
Also this -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/RS-3-RS-11-ALCO-AAR-RB-TRUCKS-PAIR-KATO-ATLAS-RS3-RS11-N-SCALE-/352113200262 (as a pictorial)

P-LineSoo
17th Jul 2017, 10:40 PM
Looks like the answer is "buy new trucks".

P-LineSoo
17th Jul 2017, 10:42 PM
Now a gear came off. Lesson learned: NEVER take apart an Atlas RS-3 truck. Not that it was intentional.

And some days, I just shouldn't work on stuff.

Mac
18th Jul 2017, 04:54 AM
I agree with the observation that some days are not good days to be working on the bench -- sometimes it seems like I am in the zone and everything comes together super nicely. Other days I am dropping microscopic parts on the floor, breaking parts, getting lube in the commutator, etc...

I have to run a workshop today but if I can I will try to look at one of my RS-3s tomorrow if you have not solved it by then. I have serviced 4 or 5 of these -- biggest issue was getting the shells off if I recall (I don't remember truck dissassembly being especially painful but maybe I did not take them apart and only took them off).

ike8120
18th Jul 2017, 05:19 AM
Don't know if this will help you http://www.atlasrr.com/pdf/N%20RS-3%20DIESEL%20LOCO%20CHINA.pdf

P-LineSoo
18th Jul 2017, 07:08 AM
Thanks. You'd think that it would, but the wipers do not resemble the ones in the drawing at all. I'll just wait til the new trucks arrive and use these for 'parts'.

The rest of the project is going fairly well...I filed my arse off in getting the RS-3 frame to fit the Shapeways Baldwin shell, and the railings transferred over fairly well. Then I found out by pure curiosity that the RS-1 Atlas frame has the same wheelbase and fits the shell perfectly without filing. So I emailed the maker and let him know, too. Maybe the days of filing are over for others, anyway. :D

P-LineSoo
18th Jul 2017, 08:36 AM
I agree with the observation that some days are not good days to be working on the bench -- sometimes it seems like I am in the zone and everything comes together super nicely. Other days I am dropping microscopic parts on the floor, breaking parts, getting lube in the commutator, etc...

Isn't it funny/odd how that works? Same here...some days I'm kicking butt and taking names and others I couldn't find my arse with both hands and a good map.

P-LineSoo
18th Jul 2017, 02:40 PM
In the words of this guy,

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/parody/images/5/5b/Tumblr_m02i5dtlgf1qzckoq.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140914184410

Well, bust my buttons!

I actually and finally found the exploded view that I need to fix these damned trucks, assuming that I haven't lost all the parts. For future reference for any of you other lost souls, here it is.

Mac
18th Jul 2017, 07:17 PM
Isn't it funny/odd how that works? Same here...some days I'm kicking butt and taking names and others I couldn't find my arse with both hands and a good map.

In Spanish (or at least in Mexico) there is a saying for people who mess up / break things -- "Stomach Hands" anything that comes into your hands winds up turning into $#!+

RichM
25th Jul 2017, 01:50 AM
i agree with the observation that some days are not good days to be working on the bench -- sometimes it seems like i am in the zone and everything comes together super nicely. Other days i am dropping microscopic parts on the floor, breaking parts, getting lube in the commutator, etc...

I have to run a workshop today but if i can i will try to look at one of my rs-3s tomorrow if you have not solved it by then. I have serviced 4 or 5 of these -- biggest issue was getting the shells off if i recall (i don't remember truck dissassembly being especially painful but maybe i did not take them apart and only took them off).

every god damn time if i take one apart for painting or fixing.....good most have a parts dept.....LOL

RichM
25th Jul 2017, 01:51 AM
THIS WORKS ON MOST LOCO SHELLS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJw8lU4zN9k

cpnsoo
25th Jul 2017, 02:59 AM
You should clarify that you are working on an old Japan model RS3, does Atlas even have parts for these anymore?