PDA

View Full Version : Forum Poll

carlx
22nd Dec 2003, 11:12 PM
I could see where some of the folks that use Atlas or the Gauge would be a bit overwhelmed!

carlx

Hofy
23rd Dec 2003, 10:56 AM
I say no. I would like to see a dedicated scratch building forum.

pbender
23rd Dec 2003, 12:16 PM
There are probably some forums that could be added, such as an Intermodal modeling forum.

There are others that could be combined, for example, I see no reason to have seperate Digitrax and Lenz forums under DCC. I'm fairly well versed in several DCC systems, and use components from at least 4 different manufacturers between my home layout and N-trak modules.

Paul

YHR
23rd Dec 2003, 01:21 PM
I think it is a matter of getting used to the format. At first glance I would say yes., because I am used to the Atlas forum, but in time I think this could work.

Although I kind of think that a less fragmented site would draw more conversation, which is what a lot of people like. I think ,if it was me, I would try and push the concept of the General site being the place to go with the specific topics being used more for a database of "keeper threads" that get their start on the General thread.

amtraktim
23rd Dec 2003, 02:50 PM
i think its better then atlas you can go right to the subject you waant and not have to wade through all the stuff you dont want to read

Keep up the Good work Todd

Tim

23rd Dec 2003, 05:03 PM
To pbender's idea, I have been thinking the same thing for a while. The reason I separated them was it seems like folks are either full tilt one way or another. I was also following the lead of the mailing lists which tend to be separate. I think this is one suggestion I am going to move on. I want to take it a step further and combine the electronics and DCC section. We'll see how it works. :P

I am totally into the intermodal idea! That is one information area on the net that is really lacking. That idea is a no-brainer, consider it done.

Thanks for the kind words. This poll is going to run for another 5 or 6 days so we will see what else shakes out.

eldorf_dragonsbane
31st Dec 2003, 10:06 AM
Well I voted in the poll when i first joined this forum but didnt post a reply.

I am used to having a forum divided into sub-forums for related topics from my gaming experiences. Doing this allows users to get slightly more detailed responses and to find similarly related information with out haveing to do massive searching.

Snoozer
3rd Jan 2004, 10:13 PM
It takes a little while to get used to the format of nscalenet if one is used to other formats, but it is a nice format that allows easy navigation. I also like the design of the various pages. :lol: Thanks for the forum, Todd.

Snoozer

3rd Jan 2004, 10:15 PM
Thank You! :D

Dangerboy81
15th Jan 2004, 03:49 PM
I count 18 forums.I find that a little bit too much to follow.There may be a interesting thread in one forum,but I'd neven know,because it is one I may not be watching.
I don't expect anything to change because of little ol' me,but that is my opinion.
I plan to hang around a bit too see how the site evolves.

Dangerboy81
15th Jan 2004, 03:51 PM
I count 18 forums.I find that a little bit too much to follow.There may be a interesting thread in one forum,but I'd neven know,because it is one I may not be watching.
I don't expect anything to change because of little ol' me,but that is my opinion.
I plan to hang around a bit too see how the site evolves.

eldorf_dragonsbane
15th Jan 2004, 04:43 PM
Dangerboy- If you look each forum is for a specific topic. If you are into rolepaying games or miniture wargaming a forum set up like this isnt uncommon. A forum layed out in this format also alows more organization in the posts.

Most NScalers are used to the Atlas forum where all N Scale topics are located in one place. I have numerous times found it fustrating when I am trying to find out a specific thing over there. I normally have to dig through pages of unrelated information just to find a couple posts along the lines of what I am after.

15th Jan 2004, 08:22 PM
The point of this site is getting to the point. Socializing is good and encouraged in this particular forum. But helping people get answers as quickly and easy as possible is what we are working towards.

One of the reasons I started this site was I was tired of the repition and impatience demonstrated on the other forums. Too often, the same topic came up, or people were getting flamed for supposedly not searching before posting. What that told me was that forums are only good vehicles for information sharing when they are configured and used appropriately. But I even had trouble finding things I needed quickly and easily on most of the currently available forums (I include Yahoo Groups). I really like the other forums as well as the Yahoo Groups, but they are highly inefficient means for collecting and redistributing information in many cases. And how many more threads do I need to read about which modeling magazine is the best? :wink: That's not to say that doesn't have its place, but I was looking for something that got me to the point a little faster.

So here we are with a bunch of forums, a huge web links section, a growing library of articles, downloads, product reviews, events calendar, and an image gallery. And every member can submit content to all those tools. Sounds like we could really have something, and then again...

I do this for a living at the corporate level and have a pretty good idea of how well it can work, as well as what works and doesn't. You all can prove me wrong, but that is one of the great things about the internet. It's about participation and growth. So time will tell if we can 'get to the point'.

Once again I have gone off on a rant! SORRY :!: And I didn't do a very good job at getting to the point :lol:

Thanks to everyone for stopping by and participating, whether we agree or not! :D

joekc6nlx
15th Jan 2004, 11:46 PM
:lol: Perhaps we could also have an Auto-Rack Car forum. :lol:

One of the guys in my N scale club would absolutely love that!

Just kidding........

15th Jan 2004, 11:51 PM
Yea we could further split it up into more forums covering auto-rack by carrier name. :wink:

afhirschfeld
18th Jan 2004, 11:56 PM
I have to agree with Todd. I really like the organization of all the various topics. Keep all the forums the way they are so that N scalers don't have to spend hours looking for a shred of specific information.

19th Jan 2004, 12:09 AM
:D :D :D :D :P :P :P :P :D :D :D ( :wink: )