PDA

View Full Version : Your best weapon?

Overshoe
31st May 2004, 08:46 AM
The one set of tools that I probably use the most in this hobby is a set of jeweler's/needle files. Cheap ones are fine (and less of a loss when you inevitably break one).

Second would be a good work lamp, and if you are of a certain age, a cheap pair of high-powered reading glasses from the dollar store. :wink:

31st May 2004, 09:49 AM
I have been thinking about this since yesterday. I would have to say that my lighted magnifier lamp:

http://www.ehobbytools.com/media/85010.jpg

http://www.ehobbytools.com/en-us/p_172.html
(This is a direct link to a normally framed page. The main site is eHobbyTools.com (http://www.ehobbytools.com/) ). Instead of an incandescent bulb I purchased a daylight temperature fluorescent for the lamp.

I also could not live without my magnifying visor:

http://www.ehobbytools.com/media/86004.jpg

http://www.ehobbytools.com/en-us/p_174.html.
(Also a normally framed page. See eHobbyTools.com (http://www.ehobbytools.com/))

jschuknecht
31st May 2004, 12:52 PM
I don't know if there is just one tool that really stands above the rest. But one tool that has made a big difference lately are my sable brushes. Due to a bunch of reasons (that I don't need to go into here), I brush paint my models instead of airbrushing. Having an arsenal of different sizes of good quality ($5+) sable brushes has really improved the quality of my paint jobs. This is one of those instances where even if you are on a tight budget, more expensive items will make a big difference in quality, yet won't break the bank.

---jps

joekc6nlx
31st May 2004, 01:47 PM
tossup between good jewelers screwdrivers (all of mine are cheap, the shafts don't stay affixed) and a good pair of tweezers. My sister-in-law is a nurse at a hospital and they just throw the tweezers and scissors away after using them. Much cheaper than using an autoclave yourself. Anyway, she gives me the tweezers when she can get them.

and yes, I think a good work lamp and for my myopic eyes, magnifier visor is essential.

ClassC
31st May 2004, 08:38 PM
I've pondered this for quite a while. And I'm in the middle of a project. My "winner" is the prosaic single edged razor blade. Cheap enough to toss frequently. Sharper than any $$$ modeler's knife. Thinner than most $$$ modeler's knives. I buy them in boxes of 50 in my local home center paint department.

70Runner
31st May 2004, 10:44 PM
The one that stands out in my mind is my electronics needle nosed pliers!(sold by Snap-on tools) PN E770ACG. If I didn't have these I would go nuts trying to find detail parts on the floor or just installing them in general!

pbender
1st Jun 2004, 12:25 AM
Self closing tweasers, especially the ones with curved jaws.

I've got 6 pair, and that's still not enough. I use them as heat sinks when soldering, as clamps while glue dries, and as a substitute for the worthless (IMO) MTL coupler assembly jig.

A close second is a small pair of needle nose vice grips, which I tend to use for most of the jobs mentioned above, plus turning leveler bolts on modules.

Paul

colonel_26
11th Jun 2004, 10:13 PM
Hmm gonna have to go with my hands here. :P They are definity one of the hardest working tools I have. I mean I can use them to do almost any task I ask of them and without much thought!! Second would be my eyes for picking out details But, then again they need to be replaced! The warranty is up on them and they are starting to go bad!! It always seems to happen!! I knew I should have purchased an extended warranty!!! :P Seriously though on my list is my set of micro-screwdrivers.. Been constantly using them to install decoders, couplers, and to help manipulate little detail objects on my locomotives as well, couldn't do much without them. (They also come in handy tightening the screws in my glasses!! )

fifer
12th Jun 2004, 01:23 AM
Other than Todds' favorites , I seem to use hundreds of common nail files.
They can be cut to fit narrow places and are somewhat flexible and two different grits. I love these and then there are Qtips.
Mike

:? :wink: :roll:

YHR
12th Jun 2004, 01:39 AM
Boy this is a tough question. There are so many things a guy needs to model.

The one tool for me that gives me the most enjoyment and has improved my modeling is my digital camera. It sees things I can't see, and is a painfully honest critic. When a model or area passes the camera test then it is time to move on to the next project.

Dan

fifer
12th Jun 2004, 12:14 PM
Dan , Once again I will have to agree with you . I think that piont was well presented on the Atlas forum.
Thanks Dan , Mike

absnut
12th Jun 2004, 12:23 PM
This question is almost like asking which one of your children you love the most!!! :D The tool I simply can not get by without and which I, probably, use the most is an X-acto with a #11 blade. However, after saying to myself countless times since I started modeling in the 50's that I should have a pin vise, I finally bought one last year, with assorted bits, and within hours was wondering how I ever got along without it!!! :lol: :lol:

Gargoyle
12th Jun 2004, 05:26 PM
For me, and I'm not really much of a modeler, the one thing I must have before I even think of using anything else, is a high intensity light source. Without it, it's midnight on a moonless night railroading.

Best,
Tony

rcboat
16th Jun 2004, 01:11 PM
For me, because I do a lot of scratch building, it is my bench mounted Dentist's Drill.
It is a refurbed model from a Dental Lab, has a foot feed to control the speed from 0 to 22,000 RPM and operates in both forward and reverse. Because it has the rubber cable drive that goes up and down the articulated swivel arm you don't get the "Gyro" effect common with the Dremel type tools and precise work is easy. Also comes with a bench mounted holder for the tool end so that you can clamp it down and have both hands on the part that you are shaping.
Drills, Grinders, Saws etc for it I get free from my dentist. He gives me the old ones, most are hardened steel and some are diamond tipped. I will never wear them out.
If you can find a used one of these I highly recommend them.
George

PennsyPride
16th Jun 2004, 02:12 PM
I would have to go with my soldering iron. Don't know how I'd attach all those feeder wires without it.

DarrylLG
26th Oct 2009, 09:35 AM
In fear of stated the obvious, i would have to say that my best weapon would have to be my old grey matter... ;)

As there may several ways to get a job finished, but only a bit of carefull thinking will get it done in the best and most practical manner.

BryanC (RIP)
26th Oct 2009, 09:40 AM
Keeping things in context, this thread is over five years old! :surprised:

As has been noted before, there is nothing wrong with resurrecting an old thread, but it is better if you note that is what you are doing. It just saves a lot confusion!

oldcook43
26th Oct 2009, 09:55 AM
I'm kinda glad to see this thread again, because there were some tools listed that I still don't have. Good reasons were given for the tools and I plan to get some of them. Single-edge razor blades - a really great idea - never think to pick some up though! They are on my list of things to get at the grocery store this PM.

'sides, Bryan, we have some newbies who might be interested in a tools list. Just poking you!

MisterMahoney
26th Oct 2009, 10:01 AM
The one set of tools that I probably use the most in this hobby is a set of jeweler's/needle files. Cheap ones are fine (and less of a loss when you inevitably break one).

Second would be a good work lamp, and if you are of a certain age, a cheap pair of high-powered reading glasses from the dollar store. :wink:

Yep. A pair of high-powered "guy-glasses" and a quirky little multi-tool... from Leatherman (http://www.leathermanstore.com), I believe.

BryanC (RIP)
26th Oct 2009, 10:34 AM
... 'sides, Bryan, we have some newbies who might be interested in a tools list. Just poking you!Absolutely! I coudn't agree more! But after a hiatus of over five years, it should be noted as such! :thumbs-up:!

XF-15DCC
26th Oct 2009, 07:23 PM
My pint glass. Yes it is used to celebrate victory and accomplishments and to pondr over the things that just didn't go well lets say to plan.

Kevin

MooseID
26th Oct 2009, 11:21 PM
My Grandpa (Moose) says I am his most important asset in making models. I fetch on command, sit on command, don't argue or criticize, my eyes are better than his, and my hands are steadier than his.

But please don't tell him I said that.

Miranda

BryanC (RIP)
27th Oct 2009, 07:47 AM
My Grandpa (Moose) says I am his most important asset in making models. I fetch on command, sit on command, don't argue or criticize, my eyes are better than his, and my hands are steadier than his.

But please don't tell him I said that.

MirandaYour secret is safe with us, Miranda! :smile:

Bryan
27th Oct 2009, 08:19 PM
Miranda, most things result in a better outcome with a team effort... you can be proud to be a part of the TEAM.

ggardei
17th Jun 2010, 12:52 PM
my computer. Without it it would be more difficult to research and get ideas on how to do things on my model railroad. And it passes the time while you wait for the mold-a-scene to dry (that stuff takes a while)

BryanC (RIP)
17th Jun 2010, 01:07 PM
Just keeping things in perspective, this thread is getting a little old now. Nowhere as old as many resurrected threads but still getting a little gray around the edges! >:-}

Please note this is not a criticism. There is absolutely nothing wrong with resurrecting an older thread, it just helps everyone if note is made of that fact!

YellowBeard
20th Jun 2010, 05:00 PM
Angled bloody tweezers!!! Holy crap I cannot believe how many times these things have saved my patience and delicate pieces while glueing or simply picking up things!

~Sean