PDA

View Full Version : Atlas gone until August?!?!?

Hofy
4th Jun 2004, 04:54 PM
I was just on this morning and there was talk about the July shutdown for vacation. I try now and just get a server error.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e4d'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'ohjoy'.

/inc_top.asp, line 75

ClassC
4th Jun 2004, 05:01 PM
It would have been nice to get some quick publicity for this group in place. There are some black helicopter questions that will come up about this timing and the length of the closing.

YHR
4th Jun 2004, 06:02 PM
I thought we had the better part of the month to promote this site as the alternative site. OH well. I think we have a good core of individuals that can make this work. The Atlas site was always tough competition because of all the traffic over there. Perhaps now this site can pickup some traffic.

If there are any Atlas lurkers out there, please have a look around at what this site has to offer. Great links and all N scale. Throw in the fact that you can store pictures on the this server, and I think you will have to agree this is one fine alternative to Atlas. All this site ever needed was traffic. I know there are many other sites as well, but I think the dilution is starting to cause problems.

I have chosen this site, because of the quality N scale info it has. I hope others will to.

If you are an Atlas orphan, I welcome you to share your thoughts with us at Nscale.

4th Jun 2004, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down like it did around christmas. The Atlas forum goes down and the dedicated nscalers decided to use a model car forum instead of this one! I am still floored by that one.

But since then I have decided I like what we have. If some folks come over from Atlas, great! If not, great!

Everyone is welcome here. As long as they get along with all us old-timers.

Jack-Doran
4th Jun 2004, 08:55 PM
Atlas is how I found out about you guys. I love it over here. Just hope the flame wars don't carry over though. That i could deal without.

ClassC
4th Jun 2004, 09:01 PM
But since then I have decided I like what we have.
It's about time you admitted that.
There is great value in smaller, more "serious" lists.

I'm certainly supportive of the serious side of the hobby.

~Grumph!

Lost_User
5th Jun 2004, 07:23 AM
No great loss, since we have some great alternative forums, like this! :lol:
Eric
...I know, it's not a big loss that the "Big Borum" is down, but the way they've pulled the plug is strange and a good feeding ground for specullations and rumours :twisted: :twisted:

siderod
5th Jun 2004, 09:20 PM
Nice to see so many known names aroud here...Hey Steve W, Dan C, etc...

YOu all know me, siderod AKA: Andrew Reid, AKA: that guy with the cute girl lol

I miss atlas, personally...hope they do chose to bring it back

VARR
5th Jun 2004, 09:55 PM
The problem, as I see it, when Atlas is down is the diffusion and dilution of "talent" across multiple forums....

Right now, I know of a bunch that have numerous Atlas-ites.....

N-Scale.Net
Railwire
Train Board
Gamers.Com
and others I personally don't visit....

The reason I like Atlas is the traffic it has, hundreds of posters, lots of posts, and lots of threads (all updated often). While some of these other forums are cool too (I usually hang on Railwire in most of my non-Atlas time, if not on my OTHER forum of interest, JetsInsider.Com), they are all a little bit (ok, alot) too quiet for my liking.

But I suppose it is what it is, eh? I have a sinking feeling that when/if Atlas returns, it will be as in the past, all names deleted, all post counts deleted (no biggie), and perhaps a whole lot of new rules and limitations.

Oh well, life goes on.

VARR
5th Jun 2004, 10:36 PM
See......no one here......no posts.......an hour goes by, and....nothing :(

Catt (RIP)
5th Jun 2004, 10:52 PM
Alex go buy an airbrush. :twisted:

ClassC
5th Jun 2004, 10:58 PM
Alex go buy an airbrush. :twisted:
And some lacquer thinner! :mrgreen:

5th Jun 2004, 11:05 PM
Really if you don't like it then stay away. We don't make conversation just to hear ourselves talk. If you would like to bring something up about the hobby, then have at it.

5th Jun 2004, 11:11 PM
You know what, I was much too polite on my last post. Get the heck out. Dont come back.

We work hard on this place. I pay for it out of my own pocket. There is no advertising here. We are all friendly. But then you come in here talking negative.

GET away from here. I won't tolerate it.

I don't care it a DAY goes by without a post. As long as the posts are positive and on topic.

5th Jun 2004, 11:27 PM
I apologize for that outburst. But I put too many hours into this place for people to come here and say anything negative, or promote other forums when they don't participate here regularly. I am all about promoting the hobby and have done more than my share of promoting other sites. But please don't come here and talk smack about how often we do or don't post. And particularly don't send traffic somewhere else unless you are a regularly contributing member or administrator.

I am all for orphans coming here and using the forum but keep in mind that there are many of us that are regulars. I demand respect for them, myself, and this site. If this place isn't to your liking, there are indeed other places you can patronize. If you do like it here, you will always be more than welcome.

I could delete my previous post but I think that would be dishonest.

siderod
5th Jun 2004, 11:33 PM
You know what, I was much too polite on my last post. Get the F__K out. Dont come back.

We work hard on this place. I pay for it out of my own pocket. There is no advertising here. We are all friendly. But then you come in here talking negative.

GET THE F__K away from here. I won't tolerate it.

I don't care it a DAY goes by without a post. As long as the posts are positive and on topic.

WOW! THAT was harsh!

Honestly, i would value a person such as VARR to come to my forum, even if it WAS to say something negative. I respect VARR and the work he does. BUT you are correct, todd, you DO own the place and have the right to tell someone to F**K off...still though, harsh! :shock: :!: :(

5th Jun 2004, 11:43 PM
You are right, it was a bit harsh. But you see, it takes a LOT of work to run a place like this. I don't have the corporate backing or resources that an Atlas does. I don't make a dime off this site, I only spend money on it. Yet this site has all the functionality, even more than just about every other railroading site on the net. AND it doesn't have to be taken down every few months. We have almost 800 links in just 7 months. We have over 100 articles in 7 months. So I just don't think it is appropriate for someone who hasn't been by in quite a while to start any negative talk. I don't care if you are the God of N scale. Contribute something positive, or just read, but don't be negative. That is all I ask.

qballrail
6th Jun 2004, 12:19 AM
Hi guys,

Like most of you, I, too, am an Atlas Fourm orphan. All I can say is that it would have been nice had they given at least some notice, only customary. But then again, that's how they are.

Well, this looks like a fun forum so I may be spending my time here.

siderod
6th Jun 2004, 12:21 AM
Hey jess,

Welcome!

lucky sonuva...you got to be a switchman...i got stuck as a ticket salesman!

colonel_26
6th Jun 2004, 12:25 AM
I was pretty much just a lurker on the Atlas forum but on here it feels like I can participate more and not get ran over by other posters...

Siderod: BTW you start off as a switchman then after 5 posts you become a ticket agent..

6th Jun 2004, 12:43 AM
Is that backwards? Should you be a ticket agent first or a switchman? Should I put this into a poll? :wink:

WELCOME one and all! We are most happy to have all of you. And yes I think that is one of our biggest selling points, you won't get run over here. (One exception, it appears that if you make me angry, I will stomp you :oops: , that one is new to me too)

colonel_26
6th Jun 2004, 12:50 AM
Hmm I think you should start as a ticket agent first then go up to switchman... Poll Time! Another thing kewl here Polls! 8)

6th Jun 2004, 12:53 AM
You know, now that I think about it, I agree with you. I will make that change.

Hofy
6th Jun 2004, 01:22 AM
Let's see. Todd's house, Todd's rules. Todd Godd? :wink:
I feel very privileged to be apart of NScale.net Thanks, Todd.

Keeping with the topic, Did anyone get any sort of notice that Atlas was going to shut down their forums for this long?

6th Jun 2004, 01:30 AM
I haven't heard anyone say they got any real notice. But it does seem sort of odd. I would definitely say the situation is ripe for rumour.

I also don't understand why you need to shut down for an upgrade. At least not for that amount of time. It is not a typical way of doing things, nor is it necessary. With database applicatons you should be able to switch over to an upgrade pretty quickly.

YHR
6th Jun 2004, 02:18 AM
I haven't heard anyone say they got any real notice. But it does seem sort of odd. I would definitely say the situation is ripe for rumour.

I also don't understand why you need to shut down for an upgrade. At least not for that amount of time. It is not a typical way of doing things, nor is it necessary. With database applicatons you should be able to switch over to an upgrade pretty quickly.

Atlas always shuts down so everyone can take vacation in the summer. I doubt there is anything more then that behind the shutdown.

6th Jun 2004, 08:40 AM
Your wish is my command.

6th Jun 2004, 08:52 AM
I dont like to be participant in a forum where "freedom of opinion" is prohibited.

Well I am not sure I would categorize you as a participant around here, advertiser yes, participant.... Nonetheless, no one's freedom of opinion was prohibited, in fact it was preserved. I didn't delete any part of the discussion, I didn't delete anyone's membership, and I exercised my freedom of speech. And for those of us that are regulars around here, this is indeed a friendly and nice place 99.9% of the time. That is more than I can say for many other sites, and one of the reasons we appeal to so many.

I have deleted you from our ranks. Good luck to you.
:D

Snoozer
6th Jun 2004, 11:39 AM
I guess we'll just have to see if the Atlas forum reopens, when, and in what format. Its sudden closure without notice was almost unprecedented. I remember it happened one time before but only for a few days until some things calmed down a bit. Usually the Atlas forum closes for their two week summer vacation - not for two months. I'll care not to speculate in public about the reasons for the shut down but I'm sure we all have our thoughts on the matter. Myself, I had lost some interest in the Atlas forum because I thought that the tenor of the place had deterioted in recent months and had gotten away somewhat from modeling.

At any rate, many of the Atlas forum participants will no doubt migrate elsewhere, including to N Scale Net. This is a great opportunity to develop a routine of visiting another forum. When (if? -there I go again) the Atlas forum reopens they may find that a lot of folks have developed a fondness for other forums. I intend to hang out here during my "forum time" and see what happens. I've also got a "how-to" repowering article I wrote for the Motorman that I'd like to put on N Scale Net.

And oh, by the way Todd. Thanks for hosting this forum. It really is a nice place. I hope the Atlas shut down may be a boom to your forum.

Thanks again, Todd. You have a very nice effort here.

Snoozer

6th Jun 2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks Snoozer! I am always happy when folks decide to settle here, even if it might be temporary.

You have me salivating about the article! We would love to publish it! :D

And to anyone else that might have an article idea, feel free to publish here. Doesn't have to be a work of art. Doesn't have to be of great length either. Could be just something you want to point out about another site. We have categories for almost everything. For instance, my brother found the article about the UP issue, and sent me the link. It can be as simple as that.

Snoozer
6th Jun 2004, 11:56 AM
You're welcome Todd. I'll work on converting the article to N Scale Net format. Its about a repower of a Minitrix Decapod with a Faulhauber motor with a reduction gearhead. It is now the best running steamer I own, even better than my Kato Mike. I really surprised myself with it and am delighted.

Ron :D

YHR
6th Jun 2004, 12:14 PM
Todd, what did you do with all that money your mom gave you for charm school, spend it on model trains :lol:

I was going to ignore the dust up, but as member of this forum who has tried to contribute in a positive way and promote this site, I have to put up my hand and ask you to please not react like that anymore. It is your site, but comments that were made would have been a cold bucket of water in the face to anyone lurking, and would have the opposite effect of promoting Friendly and Fun.

I know how much effort you alone have put into this site, and the comments VARR made no doubt cut to the bone in the way in which they were delivered. However there is truth to what he says, and the basic cause of what is preventing this site form becoming someones first choice. If you focus on the message instead of the delivery you can see how helpful that post was. First time posters tend to stay with the site that answers their questions, and provides feedback to their remarks. A successful forum is one in which ideas,questions and comments are shared in a timely manner. Traffic will go to the sites that offer quick answers and ideas to questions posted. To do this you need the people who are knowledgeable in significant numbers to be partcipating members. You yourself have asked this question many times as to why the forum section does not gain momentum. By loosing VARR and Nscalesteve you are loosing the very thing that is an essential ingredient to a vibrant forum.

Anyway that is my opinion for what it is worth. Counter productive to modeling maybe, but I just had to make my opinion known. You have a great site here, and I want to see it grow.

6th Jun 2004, 12:44 PM
First let me say there was no excuse for the way I reacted. I appreciate your comments YHR very much. You have been one to always voice appropriately delivered commentary on the state of this site. Which of course is the difference between VARR's comment and your participation here. You have been (are) a great supporter and contributor.

I am concidering how to repair any damage I might have caused. But don't misunderstand me, I will defend this site when I think it is warranted. I don't apologize for being proud of it and the people who put in the time to keep it running.

Now where did I leave that charm school money? :wink:

Overshoe
6th Jun 2004, 01:01 PM
This is my stream of consciousness, 2 cents worth regarding the Atlas melee:

Several days ago a raging debate began on the Atlas forums regarding the UP/Lionel/Athearn issue. (Let me just state that I hold an opinion that would probably not be popular regarding this ussue and beyond that I couldn't care less... the hobby will not expire because of it).

Paul Graf of the Atlas company issued a warning regarding their level of tolerance with 'speculative' discussion surrounding this, a legal issue, that Atlas itself would, by nature of being a manufacturer in the middle of things, have to remain publically silent on.

This warning was universally ignored. I suspect that this was a deciding factor in the sudden and early summer shut-down. It amazes me to no end the amount of crap that the Atlas folks put up with on a daily basis.

Having said that, I was a scant participant at Atlas, primarily in photo threads, as I often am here. I did learn things there, but also, I discovered there were an aweful lot of jerks and incessant complainers that just also happen to be model railroaders.

So here we are. This place is different, at least I think it is. We help each other and we don't post just to bump our posting numbers up. Todd works hard to supply what he does here, to all of our benefit. So, I support 100% the goal of this forum to remain a friendly and informative place to exchange information about a hobby that is supposed to FUN.

FUN, get it? Let's get down to having some, shall we?

VARR
6th Jun 2004, 01:26 PM
...........and I had thouight my days of causing such controversy were well past me.......... :?:

I suppose not, eh? :(

Todd: My comments were aimed at all of the "Alternates" to the Atlas forum, not in any way specifically or solely at NScale.net. Even my second N-Scale home at Railwire moves much, much slower than I would prefer.

Perhaps it is because I don't have something to add to each topic (and I don't post whore like certain others on other forums do), and a slower forum leaves me out most of the time, or perhaps I just like having lots of other N-scalers around to BS with, lots of topics to follow, and lots of Talent to marvel at. But that is irrelevant. Personal Preference was all it was.

The sudden and unannounced removal of the most frequented N-scale forum I am aware of (Atlas) leaves the Talent (and by Talent, I mean the numerous posters and modelers from Atlas I respect, not every Tom, Dick, and Harry Yutz who posts there) unable to discuss in advance the bast places to meet, the best alternate (or future permanent) places for us to post. It is that difusion of Talent that leaves us with multiple forums, all with only a bare % of the legitimate threads and discussion the Atlas forum provides (along with it's large does of BS and Flame Wars).

While I appreciate and more than understand the time, effort, money and guts it took (and likely still takes) to create, operate and manage your own website, especially a website as clearly quality as this one is, I can do nothing if you choose to take such a general comment as a personal attack, except to give this more detailed explaination.

You are correct, I am not a regular here, and my opinions are worth only what others take them to be worth. You have clearly shown that, to you at least, my opinions carry no worth. That is your right and choice as both a free thinking person, and owner of this site.

My regrets to all (and specifically to Todd) for casuing this fracas. It wil not happen again.

YHR: Thank you. Perhaps because you know me, and my way of speaking in my posts, that you understood my intent better than Todd did. In any event, I offer my thanks for your understanding (as always my friend) and support. Again, my apologies (this time to you) that such a defense was needed in the first place.

alhoop
6th Jun 2004, 01:29 PM
Todd, what did you do with all that money your mom gave you for charm school, spend it on model trains

I agree with Todd - although it was a little harsh. Guys with that attitude need to go.

Al

6th Jun 2004, 01:38 PM
FUN, get it? Let's get down to having some, shall we?

I second that!

6th Jun 2004, 01:46 PM
My regrets to all (and specifically to Todd) for casuing this fracas. It wil not happen again.

Regrets accepted and I hope you will accept mine too.

Let's just move on, and have some fun! I will be locking this topic so none of us get into anymore trouble! :oops:

Thanks to everyone for being patient with me and VARR.