PDA

View Full Version : RFD-TV Railroad programming

23rd Sep 2004, 10:38 PM
I am beginning to feel all my work on the articles is for naught :wink:

I posted an article acouple of weeks ago about this channel and the train programs:

http://www.nscale.net/Article144.html

The programs are on Friday morning and Saturday morning too. And if you are into railfanning, then yes they are definitely worth recording! There is also a toy train show that occassionaly shows other scales. I think they are all worth watching, although sometimes Trains & Locomotives is a little on the slow side.

There are some cable systems that carry RDF too. Please check your local listings :lol:

livesteam
23rd Sep 2004, 10:57 PM
What does RDF stand for? and i have digital cable.

23rd Sep 2004, 11:02 PM
Oops, I think it is RFD. It's called the Rural Channel. Not sure what it stands for but I think the first two letters are Rural and Farm. It doesn't appear to say on their website.

Dallas_Morlan
24th Sep 2004, 12:54 PM
YOUR ALL MAKING ME FEEL VERY OLD!!!!
I grew up with this old U.S. Post Office term. At one time, prior to zip codes, all county mail delivery was on a "Rural Free Delivery" route. The address would look something like this:

Your Name
Box 345
RFD #2
City, State

Most of the time the box number was left off and I know of mail that was delivered on a regular basis using nicknames and without the route number:

Nickname
RFD
City, State

Now that I feel really old I shall retire to a corner and :drunk: soothe my wounded pride!!!

Bryan
24th Sep 2004, 01:16 PM
When I grew up, we had an RSM address (Road Side Mail)...
Some areas would use RMB (Roadside Mail Box)...

In the early '80's, I use to go hunting on a property that had a phone number that could not be direct dialed... you had to have an operator put you through to the nearest exchange, then ask for "Roto #2"... Roto was the district and 2 was the number...

24th Sep 2004, 01:48 PM
I grew up with this old U.S. Post Office term. At one time, prior to zip codes, all county mail delivery was on a "Rural Free Delivery" route.

Oh yea! Like Mayberry RFD!!

I remeber that! I thought that I heard on the RFD channel that it stood for something else. Probably not, huh?

Glad that mystery is solved. Now back to the Georgia Farm Report...

Dallas_Morlan
24th Sep 2004, 03:59 PM
CAUTION!!! MAJOR HI-JACK OF THREAD IN PROGRESS

The quote below is from http://www.zip-codes.com/united_states_zip_codes_timeline.asp

1963: ZIP Codes are introduced. ZIP Codes are five-digit numbers that enable mail to be sorted faster. Use of the code was not mandatory on any mail at first.

1967: The Post Office requires second- and third-class bulk mail to be pre sorted by ZIP Code.

I clearly remember when the "Mr. Zipcode" cartoon character was used on TV (BLACK&WHITE NO LESS!!!) to encourage use of the new system.

SORRY!!! END OF THREAD HI-JACK

I will now slink back into my corner and continue :pint: that ego massage I spoke of earlier.

Bryan
24th Sep 2004, 04:43 PM
Dallas, here's the Aussie timeline for postal services... there's some interesting comparisons between the two...

http://www.auspost.com.au/BCP/0,1080,CH2070%257EMO19,00.html

24th Sep 2004, 04:59 PM
I clearly remember when the "Mr. Zipcode" cartoon character was used on TV (BLACK&WHITE NO LESS!!!) to encourage use of the new system.

I remember that too, perhaps not as clearly as you. :wink:

SKMoss
24th Sep 2004, 05:04 PM
Well what-da-ya know. Aussies have postal service! Who knew? And I just figured the little worly thingy that Dundee used was the prefered method for long distance comunications.

Steve

<ducks as Bryan flings a boomerrang at my head>

Bryan
24th Sep 2004, 05:24 PM
Well what-da-ya know. Aussies have postal service! Who knew? And I just figured the little worly thingy that Dundee used was the prefered method for long distance comunications.

Steve

<ducks as Bryan flings a boomerrang at my head>

It takes more than that to ruffle our feathers... us Aussies have tough hides :lol:

The "worly thingy" is called a Bull Roarer... nothing more than a flat stick on a string... use to make them at school with those 12" wooden rules that have a hole in the end...

Not only do we have it, but where the first to have mechanical sorting... had airmail service way back when also... prior to barcodes on mail, we had an optical system that "read" hand written Post Codes... envelopes have 4 orange boxes for the post code to be written in, but so long as the post code is in the general area that the machine is looking for it, it will generally get it right...

Ianscape
24th Sep 2004, 07:16 PM
I wish Comcast New England had this...

24th Sep 2004, 07:24 PM
I wish Comcast New England had this...

Yes you do! Knowing your railfanning tendancies, these programs are right up your alley. Sorry :cry:

You can always ask them to add it to their line up. Or switch to DirectTV :D

Dallas_Morlan
25th Sep 2004, 12:07 AM
NOW I MUST MAKE AMENDS FOR DERAILING THE THREAD

Did a little investigating on the RFD TV site and checked some links. The companies producing some of the shows may be excellent resources for toy train collectors as well as both diesel and steam era modelers. The information and links, plus my more sober thoughts, are below.

Show: I Love Toy Trains, TM Books & Video, Inc., http://www.tmbooks-video.com/
I Love toy Trains Video

Ianscape
25th Sep 2004, 12:25 AM
You can always ask them to add it to their line up. Or switch to DirectTV

Can't switch... I would lose my deal on internet!

clayton
25th Sep 2004, 06:28 PM
sounds great to watch i can't wait to break free from this cable that binds me!!! we move in nov/dec