PDA

View Full Version : N scale GG1

thirdrail
12th Jan 2006, 10:10 AM
No manufacturer currently makes an N scale GG1. Arnold Rapido made one for many years and they periodically come up for sale on eBay. It is not a bad model, but the mechanism is very dated. It is noisy, fast and does not pull much.

There was a brass GG1 made by Key years ago, but they are very rare, hardly ever coming up for sale. When they do, they're very expensive, as well.

RioLoco
12th Jan 2006, 07:36 PM
I saw one about a year ago in the Detroit suburbs. With the economy the way it is in Detroit, it may still be available. Try 810-474-5373 - Merri-Seven Trains, 19155 Merriman Road, Livonia, MI 48152

Bryan
14th Jan 2006, 08:03 PM
An eBay search (http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&a mp;catref=C1&satitle=GG-1&sacat=19119%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search& fts=2&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&a mp;copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&am p;sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=33444&ftr t=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=) finds 5 of them (at this point)...

siderod
15th Jan 2006, 12:26 AM
3 of said 5 for sale on EBay right now have a buy-it-now price of $175! :shock:

I'd like a good GG1 too, but for that price, i can live without a GG1

AR

nightfly
31st Jan 2006, 05:39 AM
I just love the GG1; my favorite loco of all time. Have two in HO, just cause they're pretty. In N scale, I've picked up three gg1's on ebay over the past few years, the cheapest one for $99, the other two for I think 135 and 139. None over 140. bought two more at local stores, one for $99 the other for I think $109. Not exactly sure of the prices, but that's pretty close. One of the one's on ebay ran lousy, the rest run very well, pull six heavyweight passenger cars with no problem. Tried one with my california zephyr set, and it pulled them all. As above, they will run very quick, probably scale 200+ mph at top end, while the real thing topped out at at about 120; starting at slower speeds is tricky, with wheelspin if too much throttle is used too soon. . They do track well, although I use unitrack so pretty much everything tracks well. Colors, the tuscany red one is nice as is the silver, both in pennsy decoration. Amtrack silver red and blue is o.k., penn central black alright, but the green pennsy one is way too light, and I'm not talented enough to repaint it into the correct brunswick green. As memory serves, Silver pennsy was $109 back in 2000. Pennsy green was 139, Amtrack was 99, Tuscany was 135, Penn central was 99. The tuscany was the one that ran lousy, traded with the Amtrack carriage, so I have a nice tuscany red passenger train. Still want to put together a 'senator' all silver train but don't have the silver cars yet.

nscaler711
2nd Feb 2007, 08:20 PM
i did contact Kato to make a pennsy brunswick green GG1. i hope they make one

Lark
2nd Feb 2007, 08:57 PM
...I think. I know a LHS that has a couple- 'been eyeing them myself- needing to model the Northeast Corridor and all!

Anyway- I know where there a couple!

If you are interested- I may just join you and buy that big 'ole bad boy myself. UhhhhhhhhhhhhhhIwannnnaaaIwannnuhOhhhhhhhhhhhhplea sePleasePlease say

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: YES!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I need GG-1s, LOV :twisted: E em!!! Can't have less than 15 or so?

Mark
Best of luck.

Thelron
2nd Feb 2007, 09:02 PM
Nice fancy new HO ones this year... nice fancy new *Z* one this year (green, no less)...

Aaaand apparently N stands for "Nuthin'" this time around :x

I think we might actually be the only scale without one in production...

NH2006
3rd Feb 2007, 12:05 AM
An eBay search (http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&a mp;catref=C1&satitle=GG-1&sacat=19119%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search& fts=2&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&a mp;copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&am p;sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=33444&ftr t=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=) finds 5 of them (at this point)...

An eBay search (http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&a mp;catref=C1&satitle=GG-1&sacat=19119%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search& fts=2&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&a mp;copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&am p;sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=33444&ftr t=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=) finds 0 of them (2/2/07)...I didn't know they existed! Who makes them?

TrainFreak
3rd Feb 2007, 06:59 PM
I'd like to see a new GG1 myself...I'd rather not pay triple digit figures for an older locomotive like that...I'd buy a new one in a heart beat though.

A Kato GG1 would be great! It'd be quiet, smooth, and would pull a mountain. Either Kato or Atlas would be excellent.

wcfn100
3rd Feb 2007, 07:25 PM
An eBay search finds 0 of them (2/2/07)...

You may want to conduct your own search. Try Arnold or GG1 (no hyphen).

Jason

GNFA310
4th Feb 2007, 04:22 PM
I just love the GG1; my favorite loco of all time.

I have come to HATE the GG1!! Especially in n-scale... everyone goes so "GAH-GAH" over this loco type they forget all the other great American Heavy Electrics that existed: Pennsy EP-4's; E33's; and E44's. Milwaukee Road EP-2 BiPolars; EF/EP- Little Joes. Great Northern Z-1's; Y-1's; and W-1's. New Haven EP3; EP4's; EP5's. Virginian electrics EL-2B's; LC-1's (siderodders)... etc., etc., etc. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sorry... Great as they were, GG1's are NOT the "be all/end all" of American Heavy Electrics. :twisted:

Thelron
4th Feb 2007, 08:50 PM
End-all be-all they might not be, but they were the figurehead for some pretty high-profile trains/routes... and at least there were more of them than, say, Big Boys, and they ran for far longer than, oh, Challengers...

US Electric is on the whole fairly well ignored/overlooked, I've noticed. You have a few scattered offerings in brass, some Amtrak kit, and a mess of GG1s. Meanwhile you can buy the "same" diesel with a slightly different vent from just about every major manufacturer... the interest just isn't there, much like a large amount of US Steam. It only gets worse in N Scale where we're still growing into a good diversity and the popularity is only semi-recently at a point where companies find it worthwhile to make "second-tier" equipment that has a following but isn't a somewhat universal icon.

Hopefully we'll keep seeing more (of both... I still want to be able to buy more than maybe one type of PRR steamer with the right firebox, or buy a pre-20's Reading with all the right stuff in all the (right) wrong places... or a nice early PRR electic "box") but for now even the "big name" stuff is still hard to get so while it wouldn't be my first choice of US Electric (just because of when and where my personal interests are) I wouldn't be sorry about a modern version of the GG1 that actually ran, well, the way they ran.

railohio
6th Feb 2007, 11:04 AM
I have come to HATE the GG1!! Especially in n-scale... everyone goes so "GAH-GAH" over this loco type they forget all the other great American Heavy Electrics that existed!

I'm with this guy!

There are certain icons that everyone flocks to because they've been given a halo by the entire railfan community. Most of these have only earned their title by media hype and railfan ignorance.

I'd kill for a plastic Joe in N scale. The upcoming Overland units were on my radar but with a few grand in student debt already building up I've had to pass. (Not only that, but they canceled outright the South Shore version anyway.) Not only that, but how about some of the other, smaller interurban-style electric that have been used over a much wider geographic area for close to a century now?

Meanwhile everyone just holds their breath for Kato to do a GG1. :roll:

(If you all have not noticed, the Kato folks are mostly western fans. Hope you like your new shade of blue... :roll:)

nscaler711
6th Feb 2007, 11:35 AM
thats not entirely true About kato they have the Norfolk Southern, Csx and other eastern railroads in their stock but yes they do tend to look western railroads even though they're located in Illinois.

siderod
6th Feb 2007, 01:52 PM
...but yes they do tend to look western railroads even though they're located in Illinois...

Um, Kato isn't located in Illinois. KatoUSA, a _VERY_ small speck of the overall Kato Empire might be located in Illinois, but all of the higher-up staff (read: The guys that pay the bills, make the decisions and reap the benefits) are all located in Japan.

As for Kato being centered on one side of the country or another, I think thats a mud-slinging competition we don't need to bring to this forum.

AR

Triplex
6th Feb 2007, 02:08 PM
Pennsy EP-4's; E33's; and E44's. Milwaukee Road EP-2 BiPolars; EF/EP- Little Joes. Great Northern Z-1's; Y-1's; and W-1's. New Haven EP3; EP4's; EP5's. Virginian electrics EL-2B's; LC-1's (siderodders)... etc., etc., etc. Actually, the E33s weren't PRR engines. They were originally Virginian class EL-C, then N&W, then NH class E33, then PC, then CR. Their multiple roadnames would make them an obvious choice - Bachmann's doing them in HO. The PRR also had nothing designated EP-4.

The GN Y-1 also operated on PRR as the FF-2, so it's another logical choice for a manufacturer. Same for the Little Joe.

Jeff
6th Feb 2007, 02:22 PM
there are six of these beauty`s on ebay right now and kato have some japanese locos with a 4-6-6-4 wheel configuration so with a little bit (or maybe a lot) of kitbashing and modifying you may very well end up with a kato/arnold gg1.

just an idea
Jeff

GNFA310
7th Feb 2007, 08:27 PM
Actually, the E33s weren't PRR engines. They were originally Virginian class EL-C, then N&W, then NH class E33, then PC, then CR. Their multiple roadnames would make them an obvious choice - Bachmann's doing them in HO. The PRR also had nothing designated EP-4.

The GN Y-1 also operated on PRR as the FF-2, so it's another logical choice for a manufacturer. Same for the Little Joe.

Thanks "Trip" ... but I was merely addressing the issue of GG1's being the most, if not only, American Heavy Electric modeled in n-scale excluding brass (I never count the Bachmann E-60CP); I was not trying to be all that particular with exact designations or ownership. :?

And "multiple roadnames" does not insure anything when it comes to model railroad manufacturing... for instance: Atlas produces ALCO C628's and C630's but won't even consider the C636.

My railroad library contains several books on Pennsylvania power (including electrics); as well as New Haven; Great Northern; Milwaukee Road; CSS&SB; Virginian/Norfolk & Western; etc. :twisted:

Currently I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Overland Models Inc., EP4 Little Joe #21 that I have on order .... 8) .... hopefully in the next couple weeks!! :D

nycolin
7th Feb 2007, 11:04 PM
GG1 - got 4. Gave one, Tuscan red, to my brother. Have another Tuscan red (DCC), here's Brunswick Green (DCC):

http://ngineer.com/images/gg1_01.jpg

And have Amtrak that I hope to redo someday in silver w/ red stripe livery of PRR Congressional.

Check out www.ngineer.com for more info.

trainblue
1st Mar 2007, 03:09 PM
NYcolin, where in Westchester are you and where do you run your trains?

jpdgermany
3rd Aug 2007, 11:08 AM
Hi!Kato just announced a new N scale GG1. It is one of their new releases until Jan '08.Regards,jpd