PDA

View Full Version : Double Crossover on N-Track module

bassethound
22nd Feb 2006, 07:12 PM
N-trak standards were written for smooth continuous operations at shows. The 1 1/2 standard that you are referring to was written so that people could get their fat fingers into the N Scale world and place, remove, and correct rolling stock and engines on the tracks even if adjacent tracks are occupied. Under normal circumstances I think that N-trak standards would shy away form a double cross over because of the potential of problems in continuous operations.

Since the the modular system you are referring to is for your own use, I don't see a problem with the 3/16 of an inch deviation in each track from the N-Trak standard to use the double crossover.

pbender
22nd Feb 2006, 08:58 PM
Yes, double crossovers CAN be used on N-trak modules.

I've seen Peco and Kato Unitrak double crossovers used.

The N-trak standards actually require the spacing at the ENDS of the module be 1.5".

There is actually a plublished minimum track spacing of 1.25". (This is mentioned in at least two locations in the N-trak module manual).

In addition to double crossovers, another place where the minimum track spacing comes into play is on bridges. Some commercial double track bridges won't allow a track spacing wider than 1.25" while still allowing the required side clearances.

Incidentally, the N-trak standards require that all the community property tracks (red,yellow,blue,etc) use commercial track (for consistancy reasons), so your handlaid double crossover doesn't meet the standards from that perspective.

Paul

SPO_RR
22nd Feb 2006, 10:20 PM
Suggest you look at Docson's Atlantic Longhaul RR photos via the following link. I used a double crossover in my layout! The Atlas Book recommending the layout describes how to set it up - it is the Atlas Book #7, Level 2, page 30. Check this link --> http://www.nscale.net/mod-photoshare-showimages-fid-420.html

Docson