View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Wholesale layout changes

So, as I've been going on, I have realized the original design did allow for reversing, but it took some work and didn't allow to continuous run anything. So, I'm ripping up a lot of the layout to fix that. I've got a new design, including a new Anyrail file to show what I've changed. At a minimum, the two reversible loops (orange/yellow) are now able to be used as a larger continuous run. The trick will be to use block detection so that when a train enters one of the loops, the turnouts are triggered ...
    Categories
    'N' Scale Related
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  2. Learning that gluing things down doesn't mean that it's done

I've spent the last few days ripping up old track and doing some cleanup and fixing. I wasn't happy with how some of the elevation transitions worked, and so I kinda gave up and just started over on a whole section of track. You can see the progress in the new images, but the rise into the upper loop was ripped out to make it cleaner and more even. In the past, there were too many elevation changes, and the way I put the turnouts in, there were some uneven transitions, including one under a turnout. ...
  3. Learning is torture!

Turns out I'm still not very good getting track down. I've been cleaning up by replacing or swapping out sections of track to make sure it's stable, secure, and reliable. That work continues tonight as I play with the bridge area loop and sections. The goal is to not have to manually cut out gaps, and to isolate the track to allow for a passing siding if I want it. This does mean more reversing sections, but I have enough hardware to manage that, and the DCC/electrical side of all of this is the ...
    Tags: scenery, track Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    'N' Scale Related
  4. Getting back to it

Itís been a while, but I am finally making progress again. We had some basement issues in March, and then the weather got nice, so I spent most of April, May, and June either in the backyard or in the garage working on house related items. But now, I am back to layout in the evenings. Iím giving up on all the TV I need to watch too.

Wiring is done. Thereís a lot of it for a 4x8 as I have a lot of turnouts controlled by DCC. That took a lot of time. And Iím scared to death to test it. ...

Updated 11th Aug 2022 at 09:17 PM by techhobbies

Categories
    'N' Scale Related
  5. 1778-79 Revolutionary War Artillery Cantonment Diorama

Growing up in Central (New) Jersey, the echoes of the Revolutionary War surrounded us. Washington had his winter headquarters in my home town. While I have a more particular interest in the Industrial Revolution, especially NJ railroad history, I am fascinated by history of almost any era/location.

In late 1778, leaders chose the Watchung Mountains of Central Jersey to set camp for the winter. The main Continental Army in Middlebrook, ideally suited to keep the British in check in NY, ...