View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Mache, Mountains, and Maquettes

So... to keep my hands as busy as my brain (since the brain has been having all the fun planning Die Bayern & Tirol Alpen Eisenbahngesellschaft), this weekend I will get messy and build a maquette of the scenery I have in mind.

I want to test our several new hard thin shell techniques and some old tried and true as well. I am already sold on the merits of cardboard webbing and plaster gauze.. and the mess. So I want to see what else can be done and how it will look. I'll be testing: ...
  2. Point. Click. Un-do, Un-do, Un-do...

So, after playing around with all the Railroad Layout software available out there for Mac OS X (...all of 3 and half, mind you) I have settled in on MacRailSoft's "RailModeler". If for no other reason that I can use it on my old Power PC Mac and all my newer Pentium MACs (I like to move around and work at different stations during the day).

Downloading the program is easy and its designed for the MAC, not emulating like other programs... so its got that Macintosh kewel ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B&TA_Logo.png 
Views:	201 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	5126  
  3. "Please Excuse the Crudity of this Model"

I have compleated the first draft of what I have in mind for the B&TA ( Die Bayern & Tirol Alpen Eisenbahngesellschaft )

CLICK HERE for the full PDF file which will enable you to zoom around and turn the page as you see fit. And as Doc Brown has been quoted, "Please excuse the crudity of this model..."

I have a couple of caviats and disclosures to make... Please understand ...
  4. Thought Experiments and the Power of Visualization

So... thus begins my new ambitious project: The Bavarian & Tyrol Alpine Railroad Company.

The name should speak for itself; green pastures, quaint german villages, alpine chalets and farms, great beefy steam engines and powerful electric "crocodiles" with pantographs, deep gorges and high rocky spires... did i mention Bier Gartens by an ice cold glacier-fed stream? ... Oh, ...
  5. The End of One Thing and the Beginning of Another

I have two great affections. The first being American Appalachia; the land and mountain culture that stretch from New York State to Mississippi. In particular, the eclectic steam railroads and the quirky towns they served, snaking over and under hill and holler.

I hope to have captured a little of that on the Dingmans Falls & Delaware Railroad Company layout—my first venture back into model trains in over 25 years. And my first in N-Scale as well.

My second great ...