View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. Micro Layouts vs Modules

Which is better for the modeler with limited space: modules or micro layouts? Both have the advantages of small size and ease of construction. Both can be highly detailed at a relatively low cost. Let's look at some more advantages and disadvantages.

If there is an N-Trak or T-Trak club nearby, you can build a module or two without too much cost. If there's no club, it's more problematic, although with four corners and two straights, T-Trak makes it practical to be a "club ...
  2. Upgrading DCC decoder for Bachmann 2-10-2

Quote Originally Posted by sreekarkrishna View Post
    I recently wrote a post on getting a Bachmann Spectrum 2-10-2 here. I wanted to write a follow up on upgrading the DCC decoder on the loco to a Digitrax DN135D. I am adding a lot of pictures just in case any one has questions on how to go about it. You will need soldering equipment and a Philips #0 screwdriver to achieve this.

If you followed my other post, you will notice that I had a series of issues that required exploring a new decoder. The 2 big ones that caused me to consider
  3. Scratch Building 1926 Flagstaff Arizona Santa Fe Depot

History:
    Flagstaff Arizona, a picture perfect mountain town, nestled at the foot hills of San Francisco Peaks is a prototype Western American Railroad town which was incorporated along the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe (ATSF) railroad in 1883. Started as a settlement in 1870s to supply merchandise to the railroad workers laying rails west from Albuquerque NM to San Francisco CA, Flagstaff quickly grew into a permanent settlement by early 1880. Within couple of years, Flagstaff was incorporated ...
  4. Spitfires Transporting Beer in WWII!

One of the lesser known stories from WWII and it appears to be true!

Edit: I should make it clear that I did not write the following text. It was sent to me in an email from a friend. An internet search revealed lots of sites carrying this story!

The underbelly of history. A lot of stories like this buried with the men who fulfilled the missions... In the lighter moments of WWII, the Spitfire was used in an unorthodox role: bringing beer kegs to the men in Normandy. ...

Updated 29th Jun 2013 at 10:52 AM by BryanC (RIP)

Categories
    General (as off-topic as you want)
  5. First of two coal mines --- progress report

Here is my first of two planned coal mine scenes so far. It is an excellent RLW kit in my opinion and went together nicely. Still have to paint some hills/mtns on the wall and then plant lots of trees, secure the structures in place a little bit, wire the LED light under the tipple, and more details to the scene. I made the mine tunnel liner removable and there is a light in there, too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0375_zps3a698c93.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	51579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0377_zpsb47d270d.jpg 
Views:	821 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	51580Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0380_zps1ad16e03.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	51581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0381.jpg 
Views:	671 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	51582 ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast