View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. New to wiring

Quote Originally Posted by WP&P View Post
    I'm sure you'll hear from some DCC enthusiasts that it will probably be simpler overall to go that route; you just feed power to the rails, without worrying about switching certain segments on or off. You can get a decent starter DCC controller and engines with decoders already installed, so as far as setup goes the only extra step might be programming (i.e. configuring the controller to recognize the engine).

I'm not a DCC guy; I'm Old Skool, using toggle switches to assign discrete
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. test

3. Concept vs the physical output

An update here offered, and other thoughts on the layout and a perceived vision of what lays ahead. There is (as always) much to do, and lately, keeping a focus on the follow through has been a weakness, merely starting a sub-project but never seeming to carry on to a completed cycle. Examples would be my one linear foot of ballasted track with 499 to go, one strip of trees, one quarter square foot of turf; you can see where this is going.

My latest pet projects are switch machine ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Change in direction (pun sorta intended)

So, after some time off to work on the house, and some trips that had to be taken, I'm ready to dig back in. One of the problems with my first layout design is that it's complicated for the space. And the two parallel tracks at the top can't really ever be used. For this reason, and because I want to continuous run this, I'm going to make some changes. Instead of the top parallel, I'm going to make that part of the larger loop with more room for scenery and a small passing lane with a siding to ...
    Tags: design Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    'N' Scale Related
  5. First real run

OK, so I've been inconsistently working on my track the last few weeks. Cleaning has been a problem/chore, and I've tried a lot of different solutions. I tend to like the Woodland Scenics solution a lot, but the inserts are pricey. Because my track was so dirty to start, I've been using the wand and the two hard cleaners, and then using paper towels for the soft stuff since I've ruined the included soft inserts. After a few weeks of elbow grease (not total, but like clean, test, clean some more, ...
    Tags: cleaning, metra, track Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    'N' Scale Related