• Track Geometry Unit

I recently made this track geometry unit to help me align my N scale code 55 track. I thought other people may be interested in it also as it works very well. I took an N scale truck and glued a nail through the bolster hole using CA glue. I then cut the nail shorter and drilled a hole (part way) in the circular level and made sure it fit on the nail with a snug fit.
    I have had the circular level for many years, so I don't know where I got it. I have added the plastic bumpers to the trucks so I can push it with a loco. Since I have used it on my track I have had zero derailments. I place the unit on a known flat surface to calibrate the level. That is why I didn't glue it in place.
    http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/s...metry-Unit.jpg
    Comments 21 Comments
      SimAce1 -
      This is great idea. I've used a truck fitted with a paperboard sail. I would blow gently on the sail over the track in question and observe any variation in speed or tilt. This setup is much better.

Harry Alban
      warnerj01 -
      This is a brillant way to level track.
      pwh70 -
      What's the best way to make leveling adjustments when you find an issue? Before ballast, by shimming under the roadbed?
      Big Windy -
      I thought I had my benchwork level(lumpy basement floor) not so says the car that flopped over on a little wiggle your idea will save me some time figuring out the culprits.
      zosimas -
      Google shopping search for "circular level" pops up with all sorts of results, as low as $1.

Thanks for the article
      BNSF AZ -
      Hi every one. I am glad you enjoyed the article. I may add a coupler to the unit so I can push pull it. I am currently just pushing it. Works well doesn't tip.
      Keep on Tracking!
      Paul
      neil111 -
      Good evening. I'm new to this forum, but have been building my n-scale layout for about a year. While I was building benchwork and sub-roadbed (I use pink foam), I used an app on my Android phone that shows you the grade %. I'm sure it isn't perfectly accurate, but good enough for my purposes. That app also has a level. I'm sure similar ones are available for iPhones.

Best regards,
      - Neil
      BryanC (RIP) -
      Quote Originally Posted by neil111 View Post
      I used an app on my Android phone
      You have a link (Play Store or where ever) or even a name? Sounds like it might be a useful app to have!
      Running Bear -
      Quote Originally Posted by SimAce1 View Post
      This is great idea. I've used a truck fitted with a paperboard sail. I would blow gently on the sail over the track in question and observe any variation in speed or tilt. This setup is much better.

Harry Alban
      Wonder where I could find a level like that?
      zosimas -
      Quote Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post

I just googled "
      circular level" and clicked the shopping link on the left frame and lot's of results as low as a $1 popped up.
      Running Bear -
      Thank you.
      neil111 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Running Bear View Post
      Hi. Sorry for the delayed response -- it has been a busy week. Here is the link to google play store. The name of the App is Bubble level by Antoine Vianey. It also shows angle of inclination, which is a fancy way for saying grade. It is also free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...es.level&hl=en

Regards,
      - Neil
      surgpsych -
      Hi. Sorry for the delayed response -- it has been a busy week. Here is the link to google play store. The name of the App is Bubble level by Antoine Vianey. It also shows angle of inclination, which is a fancy way for saying grade. It is also free.

~~ I downloaded the "bubble level" app (TiltMeter)for my iPhone and it worked like a charm!! THANKS for the info! I placed the phone on a 1x3 block of wood and measured small sections of my incline/decline at a time. The block turned sideways help keep the phone above the lowest point in the track and the surrounding structures. This technique allowed me to measure 2 and 3 degree inclines smoothly! Kudos!
      jimltop -
      just got the level at harbor freight $1.29
      toyotagramps -
      Wow. I love it. Awesome job and it is so cool that ya can make a useful tool and not have to buy something a retail store sells. I love homemade tools. Toyotagramps
      chuck67 -
      Thanks BNSF AZ: I never gave that one a thought. That is a RV gas refrigerator level, cheap as you can find anywhere. Hope this helps.
      epumph -
      hmmm this is 4 yrs old???
      aflica -
      There is a sudden rash of this going on Gene , but i got "told" by TD and Zos when i pointed it out .

Steve
      Tony35 -
      Quote Originally Posted by aflica View Post
      There is a sudden rash of this going on Gene , but i got "told" by TD and Zos when i pointed it out .

Steve
      Your not trying to run up your post count are you Steve?
      aflica -
      Yup , i heard there was a prize at 2000 , thx for helping me Tony

Steve