• Recent Posts

astrotrain64

Greater Houston train show Feb 15, 2020

RRr:

I used to get out there more often, but now I make it once a year. I'm the one who posts that event in the calendar every 6 months.

astrotrain64 Yesterday, 09:19 PM Go to last post
    SimRacin14

Dash 9 and Tier 4 GEVo

The one helper photo I posted earlier in the thread is an NS operation out of Louisville. Once a westbound train crosses the Ohio, it has an uphill climb

SimRacin14 Yesterday, 09:10 PM Go to last post
    wombat457

An interim Layout ...

My layout has been, and will be, on hold for a little while to come due to some unexpected, and unforeseen, other matters. That is becoming a frustrating

wombat457 Yesterday, 07:52 PM Go to last post
    Paul Schmidt

Dash 9 and Tier 4 GEVo

Can I interject something in the interest of accuracy?

Helper locomotives are rarely, rarely employed any longer. A helper is a manned locomotive

Paul Schmidt Yesterday, 06:30 PM Go to last post
    lgl007

Dash 9 and Tier 4 GEVo

SimRacin14: These are awesome. Thank you for going to all the trouble to pull these together. - it's very much appreciated! I have already gone to

lgl007 Yesterday, 06:07 PM Go to last post
  • Cop Shop - Part Deux

Since Jimmi did a Chicago Police Station I figured I design up the actual place you'll find the cops "on patrol."

Actually the building is inspired by the one on Archer Avenue. One evening while cruising by in my old Camaro, I drove by the local Dunkin' Donuts. It's a small one with parking for about eight cars. Well that night I saw the most cliched thing I ever saw. Parked in that tiny lot in front of the shop were three Chicago Patrol cars, two Cook County Sheriff's cars another three Illinois State Troopers and a CPD Squadrol parked on the street.

Ever since I've been doing the Chicagoland theme I've wanted to recreate that scene. So I decided I had to start somewhere. Naturally I started on the cars. So When Jimmi did his Station I drew up the decals for the patrol car you see in his pictures.

Of course I did the next version which fits on the CMW Impala. Thanks to Mr. Fred Cady I had 1/25 scale patterns to work from. He also provided some for the Trooper car. But the Sheriff's Futura did not have a pattern. So I started from scratch. I still have to shrink the last two to N scale but, the hard part is done. Just hope I can find some white Futuras.

With the decal designs done, I guess, I gotta design the Cop Shop…

https://www.nscale.net/forums/attachm...5&d=1431672815
    The design is based on reality but none of the dimensions are exact. I worked from photos and memory. The front entrance is a Chicago feature, many places with a lot of traffic will have an airlock to keep the outside out. On the bottom corner is the scale. The little square is a foot. The bigger rectangle is a 4x8 sheet. so if your printer rescales the drawing you can adjust printing size accordingly.

What do you think?

I'll probably start construction when the whim hits me in a year or two. Until then, let's see what you guys can do with the drawings.
    Comments 11 Comments
      grrf -
      heehee. good to read some stereotypes are still true
      NellsChoo -
      Hey, the old Dunks logo!! Is the Fred Cady you mention the same who did model car decals?
      redbandit14 -
      Awesome. This inspires me to create a Tim Hortons.
      ChicagoNW -
      Quote Originally Posted by NellsChoo View Post
      Hey, the old Dunks logo!! Is the Fred Cady you mention the same who did model car decals?
      Yes they are.
      I bought them directly from the man, at a model car show.

If you are familiar with his decals, it just wasn't a job of scanning them. I ended up drawing them from scratch, tracing his template. In some ways improving his designs. It's a little sad that you won't see the detail at 1/160. Then again they'd make passable 1/1 versions for the movies and TV.
      ChicagoNW -
      Awesome. This inspires me to create a Tim Hortons.
      Complete with RCMPs?
      jimr1cos -
      So, it is a trait that knows no borders; those who serve & protect flock together at food emporiums.
      Jim
      NellsChoo -
      I only know Fred Cady 1/24 car decals. I was under the impression he went out of business.
      ChicagoNW -
      My "Someday Project" list is rather long and elaborate. What once was a 1/24 project became a 1/43 scale one that has morphed into a 1/160.

But now with vector file graphics I can create any scale, I want.

Some projects take decades from concept through fruition. It may take some time to gather materials or it just may be a mater of having time to work on it. I'm still looking for a 1975 Impala Coupe and 74 BelAir Sedans in 1/43.

I have seen unused NOS Fred Cady decal sheets on eBay from time to time.
      redbandit14 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
      Complete with RCMPs?
      Of course! Or OPP
      ChicagoNW -
      What was unusual about the Dunkin' Donuts incident was that all three of the local ploice departments were there, City, County and State, no visible Federal officers.

So what would be the Tim Horton's version be like?
      Which law enforcement agencies would be there?
      redbandit14 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNW View Post
      What was unusual about the Dunkin' Donuts incident was that all three of the local ploice departments were there, City, County and State, no visible Federal officers.

So what would be the Tim Horton's version be like?
      Which law enforcement agencies would be there?
      Depending on the province ,Local, Provincial and RCMP. Probably not on their horses but I can't be sure for the western provinces. Toronto police have been seen on Horses and bicycles as well as as the standard cars.